IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

To those waiting for a Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 12:21 PM
srt4evah
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that's expensive. Most tuning solutions for boosted cars, which are arguably more difficult to tune, run around $500. A custom dyno tune for an Evo is $400-600, Charger SRT8's can get a Diablo tuner with OTS tunes for $389.

I guess that's the price you pay for a vehicle that costs $60-65k new.
Old 10-22-14, 12:39 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

What ever happened to the SARD Ecu tune?
Old 10-22-14, 01:10 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yea i cant recall how much i spent on my custom Ecutek tune with dyno runs but it was under $1000 for the GTR. Plus when doing a tune on a FI car it really helps.

Must be a lot easier to mess with the software. I wonder why lexus made it so difficult.
Old 10-22-14, 02:22 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
yea i cant recall how much i spent on my custom Ecutek tune with dyno runs but it was under $1000 for the GTR. Plus when doing a tune on a FI car it really helps.

Must be a lot easier to mess with the software. I wonder why lexus made it so difficult.
i always thought this was due to keep reliability scores and reliability itself high. think about it, it makes sense.
Old 10-22-14, 03:08 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i always thought this was due to keep reliability scores and reliability itself high. think about it, it makes sense.
makes sense, but then again look at Porsche.

they are either #2 or 3... and they are fully tuneable
Old 10-22-14, 05:55 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
makes sense, but then again look at Porsche.

they are either #2 or 3... and they are fully tuneable
Porsche reliable....
Old 10-22-14, 07:02 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche are extremely reliable. They are made to be driven. Not to mention they are capable of making/holding quite a bit of power on the stock components.
Old 10-22-14, 07:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
...I wonder why lexus made it so difficult.
Very strict compliance with Federal law. The Federal law covering this states the engine calibration must be inalterable by end users. Toyota takes this more seriously than any other manufacturer. It also means they have fewer engines blowing up under warranty than their competitors. I am always amazed at how many people think just because they bought a car, the factory should sponsor their abuse/racing program with a warranty when they are clearly doing all kinds of things they should not be doing if they expect the manufacturer to accept liability.
Old 10-22-14, 08:32 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ that's why u just put the car back to stock before you take it in or find a mod friendly dealer
Old 10-23-14, 09:06 AM
srt4evah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Very strict compliance with Federal law. The Federal law covering this states the engine calibration must be inalterable by end users. Toyota takes this more seriously than any other manufacturer. It also means they have fewer engines blowing up under warranty than their competitors. I am always amazed at how many people think just because they bought a car, the factory should sponsor their abuse/racing program with a warranty when they are clearly doing all kinds of things they should not be doing if they expect the manufacturer to accept liability.
So unlike Mitsubishi. All you need is a cable and a laptop and download OpenECU and you're good to go.

Toyota didn't lock up the FR-S/GT86 quite as tight as the IS apparently, but I also think a lot has to do with the size of the available market (number of vehicles on the road). The tuning companies have to do the cracking of the encryption, and they won't likely spend a ton of time/money on a car that's not going to see them selling a ton of their tunes. IS-F is a pretty rare vehicle, and the owners are much less likely to mod than say Porsche or Nissan GT-R owners, so they probably don't see much upside in spending tons of engineering dollars cracking the code.
Old 10-23-14, 09:48 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srt4evah
So unlike Mitsubishi. All you need is a cable and a laptop and download OpenECU and you're good to go.

Toyota didn't lock up the FR-S/GT86 quite as tight as the IS apparently, but I also think a lot has to do with the size of the available market (number of vehicles on the road). The tuning companies have to do the cracking of the encryption, and they won't likely spend a ton of time/money on a car that's not going to see them selling a ton of their tunes. IS-F is a pretty rare vehicle, and the owners are much less likely to mod than say Porsche or Nissan GT-R owners, so they probably don't see much upside in spending tons of engineering dollars cracking the code.
Believe the FRS/BRZ are running subaru based ECU
Old 10-23-14, 02:39 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

so far the only "hacking/cracking" done to a Toyota ECU has been inputting false signals into the info stream at key points/times to make the car react differently.

Last edited by Gymkata; 10-23-14 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-23-14, 03:04 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been over two years since I've left and they're all still at it. Seeing you guys saying you will pay these absurd (2-3k) amounts, for a tune just seems irresponsible.
Sounds like its burned chip like the old days. That right there would be unfortunate for guys with F/I aspirations.
I see this as a casual mod for the casual bolt on owner and for that reason, it shouldn't cost more than $1,500. I'm still feeling ripped off in my mind.
If your reading this and saying, "..but that's all we have, I have to do it." No you don't, you can move on to a different car. The ISF will always be there to come back to, if they ever do figure it out. I still have an ISF, when the cost of a tune comes down under $800, i'll consider it. Until then, they can keep their over priced old school chip burner.

~Dv8
Old 10-23-14, 07:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by srt4evah

It has nothing to do with market segment.

Originally Posted by streetx
Believe the FRS/BRZ are running subaru based ECU
Bingo. Not running Toyota chips or code.

I'm not sure how many times I need to say this, but the CPU in a Toyota ECM is custom all the way down to the microcode ROM, so not even the instruction set the machine uses is standard. It's not as simple as cracking the encryption which has proved challenging enough. Once you crack it, you still need their development kit to talk to the thing. Standard tools are just gibberish to a Toyota ECM.

Starting with a Toyota platform is a bad idea if you want flexibility or reconfigurability. The only way it works is with full aftermarket engine management, and then you still have to reverse engineer all the other stuff so your aftermarket ECM understands what the other 14 computers in the car need from it. And that's why the SARD/Novel/iCode tunes are the only hope. It's also why they are not cheap. No one else has what they offer for Toyota, and no one else has the technology to compete. So they set their price and either you want to pay it or you don't.
Old 12-11-14, 12:46 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

bump

just wondering if there was any updates on this

Quick Reply: To those waiting for a Tune