IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla catback dyno numbers. Gained 28WHP and 24WTQ!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 10:44 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Those are great results.. Thanks for sharing ...
Old 11-19-14, 08:05 PM
justinco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice numbers indeed!
Old 11-19-14, 11:28 PM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice! My F made 383whp/359wtq(SAE) with just a Joe Z exhaust on a Dynojet 248C. Was surprised as well.
Old 11-20-14, 07:16 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fstpassat
Nice! My F made 383whp/359wtq(SAE) with just a Joe Z exhaust on a Dynojet 248C. Was surprised as well.
Nice numbers....
Old 11-20-14, 09:36 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fstpassat
Nice! Did you get a baseline number?
Old 11-21-14, 12:02 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Nice! Did you get a baseline number?
Unfortunately I didn't. I know another F made a bone stock pull of 355whp on the same dyno, but it wasn't my car and it was on a different day.
Old 11-21-14, 11:34 AM
fearnight
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Borla Catback on the way!
Old 11-21-14, 11:48 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by fearnight
I have a Borla Catback on the way!
I'm sure you'll love it. I had mine installed yesterday.
Old 11-21-14, 12:36 PM
mkp81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine on a few weeks ago Paid a muffler shop $90 to install. Love the sound. I'm used to a lower rumble coming from chevy trucks most of my life, but it's a nice sound at low RPMs, and super quite with cruise set at 80mph.
Nice to see these numbers!!!!
Old 11-21-14, 02:40 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Well it's been over a month since installing the system and I'll tell you guys one thing, it gets much MUCH quieter compared to when it was first installed.

It still has that sweet V8 rumble but just toned down a lot, sometimes I kinda wished it was loud like day one because it just sounded so badass but then I come to my senses and realize I live in **** Cali. Overall it's one of my all time favorite mods, I double checked all the clamps over the weekend and they all seem perfect.
Old 11-21-14, 05:01 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Well it's been over a month since installing the system and I'll tell you guys one thing, it gets much MUCH quieter compared to when it was first installed.

It still has that sweet V8 rumble but just toned down a lot, sometimes I kinda wished it was loud like day one because it just sounded so badass but then I come to my senses and realize I live in **** Cali. Overall it's one of my all time favorite mods, I double checked all the clamps over the weekend and they all seem perfect.
if you want more sound, you can always hack off the middle resonator, like i did w/ mine. it's about 30% or so louder and you get a little bit of rasp at the higher rpms. when i contacted borla, they said removing it would not affect the power gains. you'll get a lot more drone, tho. after a year, i want it even louder now haha
Old 11-21-14, 08:57 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Shoulda just done straight pipes then. Or HKS SSM and Novel headers if money isn't an issue. The sound on that setup is insane.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened this thread, I didn't think there were gains like this to be had from the Borla. Might have to consider one now.
Old 11-22-14, 07:46 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want it louder, unbolt the mufflers...it's free.

I did this when I had my Borla, but eventually sold it and picked up a Joe Z. I agree, the Borla gets quieter over time.
Old 11-22-14, 10:01 PM
Maxxam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why (how) would the mufflers get quieter with time? I am a master auto tech and have also installed many different aftermarket mufflers on all kinds of vehicle (including Borlas on my Z06). I have never had the db get quieter nor can I fathom mechanically how this could be a possibility.....
Old 11-22-14, 11:52 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maxxam
Why (how) would the mufflers get quieter with time? I am a master auto tech and have also installed many different aftermarket mufflers on all kinds of vehicle (including Borlas on my Z06). I have never had the db get quieter nor can I fathom mechanically how this could be a possibility.....
Don't quote me on this but I read somewhere that it's the new packing material inside the mufflers that "break in" during the initial heat cycles, it causes them to better absorb the sound which in turn quiets them down. The Borla muffler/resonator has several layers of sound absorbing material made from stainless steel and ceramic, other manufacturers like Flowmaster just use chambers and baffles so the sound levels on those types of mufflers shouldn't change over time.

Same thing happened with the Tanabe Touring Medallion on my IS350. First week it was crazy loud and droned on the freeway, after about a month it was almost as quiet as stock.

Maybe somebody who has more knowledge on this subject can chime in.

Quick Reply: Borla catback dyno numbers. Gained 28WHP and 24WTQ!