IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just installed my Borla Catback. Question for owners..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 12:02 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just installed my Borla Catback. Question for owners..

Hey guys my Borla catback came today from Summit Racing, talk about fast shipping. Ordered on Saturday and it came Monday.

Took 3 hours to install all by myself on 4 jack stands, well about 2 hours to install and an hour of tweaking. Fitment seems pretty good although the resonator comes very close to the heatshield, not touching but about 2mm from it. The sound is absolutely incredible. Getting her dyno'd on Wednesday to compare with my baseline run, we'll see if she makes decent power.

EDIT: 10/15/2014 Dyno'd. Gained 28whp and 24wtq.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...and-24wtq.html

I have a question for you fellow owners, are these pipes supposed to be touching? No matter how I adjust the exhaust once I clamp down the slip fits these pipes come together. I haven't noticed any rattling just wondering if they're supposed to be apart with no contact?

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 10-25-14 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 04:12 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like there is a small gap
Attached Thumbnails Just installed my Borla Catback. Question for owners..-isf-new-exhaust.png  
Old 10-14-14, 07:42 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

When I installed mine I had to leave everything loose and tighten from the back goin forward. Had someone with a prybay stuck between that spot while i tightened the band.
Old 10-14-14, 07:58 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a small gap on mine.
Old 10-14-14, 08:14 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Thank you guys, I guess I'll have my wife get under the car with me tonight, I'll have her spread it while I work it from the back...
Old 10-14-14, 11:27 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

That's what wives are for.

Take your time and gradually tighten the clamps as required. The two rear pipes seem to have quite a lot of adjustment in them. They should have quite a lot of clearance also. System is actually a pretty good one. Some complain about the clamps, but I think they are pretty good at least compared to some others I've used.
Old 10-14-14, 11:58 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

always interesting to see dyno results.....

whats the over under here? i'll say 15hp, 12 torque
Old 10-14-14, 12:54 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure its pushed in all the way. I left everything loose and then tighten from the back forwards. I did not have to force things to make fit at all.
Old 10-14-14, 12:59 PM
invius
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Thank you guys, I guess I'll have my wife get under the car with me tonight, I'll have her spread it while I work it from the back...
Brilliant.
Old 10-14-14, 01:47 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

my system hit/rattled against that heat shield piece towards the middle of the car. so, just removed it. and yes, mine has a small gap between the two pipes.
Old 10-14-14, 04:48 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the install!

Is there any annoying drone inside the car within a certain rpm range? How loud is it compare to stock?

Thanks for sharing
Old 10-14-14, 11:05 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kiryu
Congrats on the install!

Is there any annoying drone inside the car within a certain rpm range? How loud is it compare to stock?

Thanks for sharing
No drone whatsoever, at highway speeds it's very comfortable and quiet, "almost" like stock.

During normal driving it's freakin loud, I would say about 3 or 4 times louder than stock. It seems like it's getting quieter though as the packing material inside settles. Sounds so amazing though.

Seat of the pant feels like I gained a bunch of power, we'll see how much it dynos tomorrow.
Old 10-15-14, 01:22 AM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see the dyno!

So on the freeway it's quiet but normal driving is 3-4 times louder? How can that be? On the freeway it's cruising at 1500-1800 rpm... If it's quieter at that range how can normal driving be louder? Unless u wot or lead foot most of the time. My F just keeping switching gear at normal driving around town and stay at 1500 rpm
Old 10-15-14, 09:53 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

there is some drone in the 1500 to 1900 rpm range. so, if you tootin around town in auto, that's the sweet spot that the rpm range usually is in. on the highway, bc of all the other exterior noises, the exhaust isn't invasive at all. personally, i think the borla is too quiet, hence why i modified mine. after a couple of weeks, got too quiet for me esp bc i usually drive w/ the windows rolled up, ac on.
Old 10-25-14, 09:07 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

So almost 2 weeks of having the system installed, I find the system tone and loudness has changed significantly, it has less of a raw muscle car sound but more of a refined V8.

In fact I find it a little too quiet now, a tad bit louder than stock. It's amazing what a few days of break-in can change the system sound so dramatically.

Overall, I absolutely love the exhaust, makes great power you can feel, really enhances the driving experience but just wished it a tad bit louder. I'm sure Sikky headers will solve that problem.

A little fun.. as you can see it's not very loud anymore.

Quick Reply: Just installed my Borla Catback. Question for owners..