IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weathertech Caution!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 08:48 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Weathertech Caution!

Some may already be aware of this since I've found a thread detailing it in the 2IS forums, but just in case anybody isn't, I'd like to share my experience earlier today.

My parents are visiting this week, so my dad and I decided to take the F for a cruise earlier since he'd never really got to experience the car. It was early, there was no traffic, and we were on a empty, straight 4-lane. Once we got out of town a ways I slow down a bit so I can go WOT for a moment without damaging the speed limit too harshly. Well, when I let off the pedal, the car kept going!. Yes, it was stuck at WOT.

Fortunately, as I said this was on an empty, straight 4-lane road, and after a bit of panicky mashing my foot around the pedal became unstuck. Still, nearly a pants-****ting experience. It didn't take long to realize what may have caused this, and after stopping, I confirmed it had to have gotten caught behind the Weathertech floor mat. I took immediately removed it and will be trimming it down to where it isn't possible for this to happen again.

Anybody with these floor mats, or considering ordering, please be sure trim the area under the gas pedal. This seems to be a common problem with these floor mats, even among other cars and I wish I had learned about it without experiencing the consequences first hand. I hate to think how this may have turned out had there been traffic or if we were on a different road.
Old 10-13-14, 08:58 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

did you take out the carpted floor mat and clip the weather tech in its place?
Old 10-13-14, 09:03 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Yes, the carpeted floor mat was removed. There is still a tiny bit of room for the gas pedal to get stuck. I'm sure most of the time it would simply push into the Weathertech floormat, but there is the possibility of it getting stuck behind.
Old 10-13-14, 09:46 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I'll keep an eye out if I ever get one of these mats
Old 10-13-14, 10:58 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

First pic is an example of basically what happened. The clips that hold the mat in place should help to prevent this, but there still seems to be enough wiggle room for the pedal getting caught to be possible. I think now I may have not been stuck quite at WOT, but close enough, it was stuck. I went from 30 letting off at 90, intending to coast back down to 75. Instead I kept going to about 120.

The second pic is after my initial trimming, but I think I'll take some more off to be more safe. Even after trimming, it is still possible for the pedal to get caught if the mat comes up against near the pedals. That shouldn't happen since nothing should be pulling the mat upwards, but it still makes me a little nervous after my experience this morning.

Old 10-13-14, 12:20 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Why not write this off and stop using it completely? I think you need to get this returned asap.
Old 10-13-14, 12:45 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

I intend to make it as less likely to reoccur as possible.

I dislike carpeted floor mats, and to me, these actually look a lot nicer and are much easier to clean. Also, this:

I'm confident it won't happen again, especially after further modification. I'll have that portion trimmed down so that even if the mat did come up from the floor (extremely unlikely) it wouldn't be able hold the pedal down. This instance wasn't the mat coming up, but rather me mashing the pedal down so quickly that the upper edge of the mat popped over it.

The main reason for this thread is I know there are many other members on here, both IS-F and 2IS, with the same floor mats. I hope anyone with them will take the necessary precautions as they see fit.
Old 10-13-14, 03:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

scary ish...... Thankfully it wasn't anything worse. I understand you trimming it but I would still toss them personally. Were they clipped down. My wife has a set in our Sienna and they have been fine. I'll make sure to keep an eye on them though
Old 10-13-14, 04:04 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
scary ish...... Thankfully it wasn't anything worse. I understand you trimming it but I would still toss them personally. Were they clipped down. My wife has a set in our Sienna and they have been fine. I'll make sure to keep an eye on them though
yeh, you might want to just give her a heads up too. this happened to me one time (just randomly not with weathertec mats, and not with my ISF) where the mat had caught the gas pedal....had i not heard about how this can happen in general, i dont' know if i would have figured it out before wrecking, ha.

was already up to highway speeds when it started happening and the car kept accelerating from there up to like 110 before i was like, oh yeah, mats!
Old 10-13-14, 04:13 PM
JM51526
Driver

I had to trim my Weathertech mat for accelerator clearance in my IS F, as well. I thought it was common knowledge to check for this whenever installing any floormats.
Old 10-13-14, 06:03 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

They are clipped down with the built-in clips. They are just a tiny bit too tall for the gas pedal. I know these are intended for the 2IS and not the IS-F, but I'm not sure if our pedal is different. If so, that might be part of the problem. I bought mine since I have a similar floor mat in my truck that I like (Husky Liner) and noticed several members here recommending the Weathertechs.

As for trimming them being common knowledge, in hindsight it seems like something that should be common sense, but the thought never occurred to me before. I hadn't seen it mentioned here before, but did find a thread on the 2IS forums. I've also seen pics of these installed in other owners F's and they are not trimmed.
Old 10-13-14, 07:12 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sean
Some may already be aware of this since I've found a thread detailing it in the 2IS forums, but just in case anybody isn't, I'd like to share my experience earlier today.

My parents are visiting this week, so my dad and I decided to take the F for a cruise earlier since he'd never really got to experience the car. It was early, there was no traffic, and we were on a empty, straight 4-lane. Once we got out of town a ways I slow down a bit so I can go WOT for a moment without damaging the speed limit too harshly. Well, when I let off the pedal, the car kept going!. Yes, it was stuck at WOT.

Fortunately, as I said this was on an empty, straight 4-lane road, and after a bit of panicky mashing my foot around the pedal became unstuck. Still, nearly a pants-****ting experience. It didn't take long to realize what may have caused this, and after stopping, I confirmed it had to have gotten caught behind the Weathertech floor mat. I took immediately removed it and will be trimming it down to where it isn't possible for this to happen again.

Anybody with these floor mats, or considering ordering, please be sure trim the area under the gas pedal. This seems to be a common problem with these floor mats, even among other cars and I wish I had learned about it without experiencing the consequences first hand. I hate to think how this may have turned out had there been traffic or if we were on a different road.
There was a recall on the vehicle which had the dealer reflash the ecm, this reflash basically tells the ecm to disregard the accelerator input if the brake pedal has been depressed. If you have not had this recall preformed you clearly should! Second if the floor mats in your car are from a awd IS the they are the wrong mats for your car and absolutely should not be used!
The correct course of action to take should your accelerator pedal become stuck is immediately shift the vehicle into neutral and stop the vehicle, once the vehicle has come to a complete stop it is then ok to shut off the engine.
Old 10-13-14, 07:41 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

I also have the weathertechs and fortunately this has never happened to me. The mat sits flush with the floorboard and does not get caught under the pedal under any circumstance. As suggested by ming you may have the AWD version of the weathertechs.
Old 10-13-14, 08:42 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

I bought them about 6 months ago. I still have the boxes, but will need to dig them out of my attic. I really don't think they are the AWD version though unless Autoanything actually sent me the wrong mats. Mine seems to sit flush too, but still somehow got stuck this one time when pushing the pedal to the floor very quickly. I think it is something that isn't likely to happen, but is possible. I'd just like others with the mats to at least be aware, but hopefully take some precautions.

I also didn't know there was any recall. I did use the brake, but the throttle was still open, so mine obviously hasn't had this done. Switching to neutral definitely would have been the best course of action, but as I said it was a panicky moment. My dad yelling thinking I was trying to get both of us killed didn't help much either!
Old 10-13-14, 09:38 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except if you get the flash, you'll never be able to do a burnout for drag racing. I just beat up the stock mats and when then get dirty, I get them washed. After 50K miles and 6 salty winters, they still look fine. Who needs weathertechs? LOL

Quick Reply: Weathertech Caution!