IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What is the Expected Impact of RC-F on IS-F Prices?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 12:31 PM
dvarapala
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the Expected Impact of RC-F on IS-F Prices?

What do you think? Will IS-F resale values take a sharp drop once the new RC-Fs hit the showrooms? I'm currently in the market for an IS-F, but I might wait a little while if they're about to get more affordable.
Old 10-10-14, 12:56 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I for one won't drop my price on my IS-F..

Knowing the RC-F isn't that much faster and doesn't offer much more than an upgraded interior, half the price of a new RC-F is a bargain.

I'm also pretty sure an IS-F with i/h/e will beat an RC-F as well.
Old 10-10-14, 12:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It will absolutely drop the market value. Wether we want to sell it for that price is a different story, but a new exciting F car means the old ones drop a little in value.
Old 10-10-14, 01:00 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if it will have a drastic impact or not.

But if you look around enough and if someone wants to sell there car bad enough you can find an ISF at a good price.

I am sure the release of the new IS model and the new RC models will hurt resale values on the ISF because anyone in the market for a newer car is typically looking for the newest body style available and dealers offer such good incentives and interest rates on new cars that it makes selling a higher end used car hard to do. Most people find it easier to go to a dealer and purchase through them.

Good luck on your future purchase.
Old 10-10-14, 01:24 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope,

I think used ISF prices will remain consistent. consistent as in it will depreciate normally like it always has been. you wont see the prices drop like crazy

you can take a look at the E9x m3 used prices, they havent moved all that much since the release of the new m3/m4
Old 10-10-14, 01:28 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait, the RC-F is faster than the IS-F?

I know it has 467hp now but also weighs over 4000lbs. From what I gather it traps about 111-112mph, compared to the IS-F which traps typically 112-114 stock.

Not to be magazine racing but according to Motortrend's testing of the RC-F they got 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and 1/4 in 12.7@112 and when Motortrend tested the IS-F it did 0-60 in 4.2 and 1/4 in 12.7@114 which leads me to believe the IS-F is a touch quicker.

As far as value dropping.. I don't see it. In fact I think it might help the IS-F's resale value.

If you want a hotrod V8 Lexus Sedan, there is still only the IS-F. There's really no concrete evidence for a new IS-F as of right now, if I'm wrong I stand corrected. We've seen a GS-F test mule, but that's probably going to be a real heavy car and is designed to compete with the M5.

Not everyone can use a coupe, the RC-F wouldn't work for me. The same thing happened when the 3rd generation IS was released, I thought the 2IS would drop in value and I could find a good deal for an IS350. Nope, after waiting it seemed the 2IS resale value held rock solid.
Old 10-10-14, 01:55 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

it will hurt the 2013 and 2014 ISF that are priced closer to an RCF, why buy those when you can get an RCF for a little more. Not going to affect the earlier ISFs that are under 40k, even some approaching low 30s
Old 10-10-14, 02:07 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
it will hurt the 2013 and 2014 ISF that are priced closer to an RCF, why buy those when you can get an RCF for a little more. Not going to affect the earlier ISFs that are under 40k, even some approaching low 30s

I can tell you one thing, the coupe looks pretty small as I just stood in front of one about an hour ago. I know most buy for sporty but I'm willing to bet there's a good percent of guys that are married or have a kid who would rather have the sedan! I think that could hurt the sale of the RC pushing more buyers towards the GS !!! Just my two cents!
Old 10-10-14, 02:13 PM
srt4evah
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doubt it will have much impact, sedan vs. coupe, they don't directly compete for the same buyer 90% of the time. The IS-F being dropped entirely might actually insulate prices a bit, since it won't be available new from the dealer.
Old 10-10-14, 02:22 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I for one won't drop my price on my IS-F..

Knowing the RC-F isn't that much faster and doesn't offer much more than an upgraded interior, half the price of a new RC-F is a bargain.

I'm also pretty sure an IS-F with i/h/e will beat an RC-F as well.
^^^This. RCF is faster but not MUCH faster. Interior is a surefire upgrade, no doubt about it, but for someone looking for 4 doors the ISF fits the bill. I myself peruse cars.com and Autotrader periodically and have noticed that resale values have leveled off since last year... pretty much remained the same. As always, SELLERS will dictate resale value since the F is not exactly your most common car. I know what it's worth, and if I can't sell it for the price I want, I'll just keep it!
Old 10-10-14, 02:26 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Again I think it boils down to if you need a coupe or a sedan. The only way I could convince my wife to let me get the IS-F was because it was a sedan.

If i was single or if it was just my wife and I, the RC-F would be a no brainer, It's quite the looker.

I see the new F80 M3 having more of an impact on the IS-F's pricing and sales than the RC-F.
I mean $70k for a new 2014 IS-F which is now on it's 6th year or a new F80 M3 which has more power and performance on an all new platform. Then again... you could always throw in the Lexus vs. BMW long term reliability argument and then the IS-F comes out on top again..
Old 10-10-14, 02:44 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO.....I think the prices will continue to decline slowly on the IS F (as they have been), then the demand will become short and the price will work its way back up again and hold. This seems to be the trend for Lexus vehicles...at least in my market.

Digger08
Old 10-10-14, 02:56 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I doubt it, I think the price will still be consistent...
Old 10-10-14, 07:11 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srt4evah
Doubt it will have much impact, sedan vs. coupe, they don't directly compete for the same buyer 90% of the time. The IS-F being dropped entirely might actually insulate prices a bit, since it won't be available new from the dealer.

+12345 they are completely different cars.
Old 10-10-14, 07:29 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, they are differant cars and I agree that RCF won't trump ISF. I don't think the markets will cross between the two cars as much as everyone assumes that it will. $40k-50k car vs. $70k car, sedan vs. coupe, smooth lines vs. crazy overstated lines.....

Quick Reply: What is the Expected Impact of RC-F on IS-F Prices?