IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Headers issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 10:41 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation PPE Headers issues

So I installed the PPE headers used from LOLM3 a while ago and I've been having problems with it since the first day.

The car drives just fine, seems to not effect the power if any. However every 30-50 miles, I get a CEL/VSC/traction control light popping up which goes away when I delete the codes from my OBDII scanner.

The codes I started getting was P0138 then P2238.. I've replaced the PPE conditioner module, rear drivers side O2 sensor (exhaust sensor) and PPE AF sensor extension with brand new parts.

After the PPE AF extension was changed (earlier today), I'm getting the code P0138 and P2237 (not P2238 yet, will need to drive some more to see if it comes up).

I've called PPE a dozen or so times, and they can't come up with a solution.. which is why I'm asking for your help. Has anyone have had this problem or a similar problem? I've dumped more than enough money to try and fix this strange problem and a search on CL comes up with pretty much nothing. Any advice is welcome.

Last edited by ISFpat; 10-05-14 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 07:09 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did u double check ur exhaust for leaks? Might need new gaskets. Sounds like it's all Bank 1 sensor issues but u said u replaced that sensor. Very strange
Old 10-06-14, 02:53 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol join the club - Tommy and I tried the same list as you to resolve the P0138 but it would keep coming back and I would just keep clearing it by pulling the fuses. I called PPE a bunch of times as well and they were helpful but nothing we tried worked. Mine would come on about every 500 miles regularly (your problem seems way worse). Until just out of the blue after clearing it out about 6 months ago it stopped coming on. It's been probably around 12,000 miles give or take without a code. You know how much I drive too, around 2,000 + per month "mas o menos", so I'm hoping I'm in the clear now.

Last edited by 2ndGF; 10-06-14 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 07:50 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
lol join the club - Tommy and I tried the same list as you to resolve the P0138 but it would keep coming back and I would just keep clearing it by pulling the fuses. I called PPE a bunch of times as well and they were helpful but nothing we tried worked. Mine would come on about every 500 miles regularly (your problem seems way worse). Until just out of the blue after clearing it out about 6 months ago it stopped coming on. It's been probably around 12,000 miles give or take without a code. You know how much I drive too, around 2,000 + per month "mas o menos", so I'm hoping I'm in the clear now.
It's a 50/50 with PPE so far with the people I know personally, same installer. First 2 cars did not have any code since day one. Next two kept having codes. As much I like the no rubbing issue of the PPE, I'm glad that I got the Sikky because of no code after 25k miles now
Old 10-07-14, 09:04 AM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
It's a 50/50 with PPE so far with the people I know personally, same installer. First 2 cars did not have any code since day one. Next two kept having codes. As much I like the no rubbing issue of the PPE, I'm glad that I got the Sikky because of no code after 25k miles now
Its definitely not 50/50. We have sold 160+ of these over the last few years and over 90% of the issues are due to installation error.

Most of the problems I have seen are due to the wiring extensions not being secured well and touching the header and melting causing a short circuit. We are now making the wiring harnesses with heat insulation already installed.

We use our O2 conditioner on the ISF, IS350, IS250 and several other cars. We have sold 300+ and have had to replace 4-5 of them. It is very rare that these are the cause of a problem.
Old 10-07-14, 09:12 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Paul did you start sending those out as the replacement with the heat insulation? I got the extended wiring harness but not sure if its the one with insulation.

I got cel after 2 years with the headers. its gone now but it comes back like once per year or when it gets really wet.
Old 10-07-14, 09:38 AM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
Paul did you start sending those out as the replacement with the heat insulation? I got the extended wiring harness but not sure if its the one with insulation.

I got cel after 2 years with the headers. its gone now but it comes back like once per year or when it gets really wet.
We just got the shielding in, I think the last two orders got the heat shielding. It is Thermo-Flex which can be purchased from Summit or Jegs. It takes about 18" per harness.

Sounds like water is getting into one of the connections. I would seal up all the connections with some electrical tape help keep water out when it rains. The black sticky A/C sealant works well too (I don't know the actual name of it)
Old 10-07-14, 10:05 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
Its definitely not 50/50. We have sold 160+ of these over the last few years and over 90% of the issues are due to installation error.

Most of the problems I have seen are due to the wiring extensions not being secured well and touching the header and melting causing a short circuit. We are now making the wiring harnesses with heat insulation already installed.

We use our O2 conditioner on the ISF, IS350, IS250 and several other cars. We have sold 300+ and have had to replace 4-5 of them. It is very rare that these are the cause of a problem.
Hello PPE, no doubt your products are awesome but I'm running out of ideas on how to fix this. Any insights?
Old 10-07-14, 10:06 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

I understand that, that's why I only stated the 4 people I personally known and got installed from the same mechanic. He have installed 2 Sikky and 4 PPE , mine was the first ISF he ever installed. First 3 cars, 1 Sikky and 2 PPE were totally fine. Next two PPE have problems, then last Sikky was fine. Maybe it was just our cars's ECU in general. I have seen other Sikky complaining of codes too. After they reset the ecu countless of times every 100 miles, all the sudden it goes away. Some reported that the codes haven't come back after 12-20k miles too
Old 10-07-14, 11:05 AM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Hello PPE, no doubt your products are awesome but I'm running out of ideas on how to fix this. Any insights?
If I remember correctly, the original installation had the O2 extension wires melted to the header and caused a short. The extension was replaced and the sensor replaced but there is still a code for a short circuit on that same sensor.

The problem is that there is a short circuit in the system. The only way to find the short is to have someone experienced with electrical diagnostics go through with a multi meter and find the short and repair it.
Old 10-07-14, 11:55 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

If I remember correctly, the original installation had the O2 extension wires melted to the header and caused a short. The extension was replaced and the sensor replaced but there is still a code for a short circuit on that same sensor.

The problem is that there is a short circuit in the system. The only way to find the short is to have someone experienced with electrical diagnostics go through with a multi meter and find the short and repair it.
The sensor was not replaced. The rear o2 sensor was replaced. The extension connects to the AF sensor.

After the extension was replaced the code reads p2237 instead p2238, not sure what this means..
Old 10-07-14, 12:37 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ISFpat
The sensor was not replaced. The rear o2 sensor was replaced. The extension connects to the AF sensor.

After the extension was replaced the code reads p2237 instead p2238, not sure what this means..
P2237 - O2 Sensor Positive Current Control Circuit/Open Bank 1 Sensor 1

P2238 - O2 Sensor Positive Current Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1

Both of these codes mean that there is an open circuit or broken wire/connection somewhere between the Driver's Side A/F sensor in the header.

It could be a broken wire, a melted wire, a bad connection at the connectors in the computer, wiring extension or O2 sensor, or it could be a bad sensor.

Checking the continuity on the blue and white wires at several locations between the sensor and computer will pin point where the open circuit is. Then the proper part can be replaced or repaired.
Old 10-08-14, 12:18 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
I don't think human error was eliminated from this conclusion. I haven't heard of anyone who had PPE install them ever complain of an issue, myself included. Does that mean that it should be blamed on the product or that PPE is the only one that is miraculously able to get it done right the first time? No. But from what I've gathered from EVERY thread so far that's complained of issues is that somewhere during the install something was done incorrectly or a mistake was made by the installer.

Pat, hopefully you're able to get it resolved so you can go on to enjoy these headers like they should be. If you look at a thread I've posted about my PPE header install there's a pic of a bracket that must be removed during install, if not it doesn't allow the 02 extensions to be routed far enough from the header to avoid the potential for crimping a wire, pulling wire(s) loose by stretching the extension, or melting/heating of the harness itself. Keep us posted, Good luck!
Old 10-08-14, 10:10 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
I don't think human error was eliminated from this conclusion. I haven't heard of anyone who had PPE install them ever complain of an issue, myself included. Does that mean that it should be blamed on the product or that PPE is the only one that is miraculously able to get it done right the first time? No. But from what I've gathered from EVERY thread so far that's complained of issues is that somewhere during the install something was done incorrectly or a mistake was made by the installer.

Pat, hopefully you're able to get it resolved so you can go on to enjoy these headers like they should be. If you look at a thread I've posted about my PPE header install there's a pic of a bracket that must be removed during install, if not it doesn't allow the 02 extensions to be routed far enough from the header to avoid the potential for crimping a wire, pulling wire(s) loose by stretching the extension, or melting/heating of the harness itself. Keep us posted, Good luck!
Thank you for the insight! I'm debating if I should just buy a new sensor or pay a shop to fix the short.. regardless, I'm screwed.

PPE, any ideas on the P0138 code? It's very annoying and I'm not sure what I should do to fix it.. I already replaced the sensor from where the code is coming from.
Old 10-09-14, 05:38 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

PPE here for more than a year and no issues. Once you get it sorted out, you wont have any further issues.

Quick Reply: PPE Headers issues