IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE header installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 10:06 AM
Andyfishy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow PPE header installation

I have a 09' ISF and I'm planning to put the PPE header in it.
However, should I purchase the high flow cat too? Since it might be too loud combining with the Joe Z exhaust?
Any instructions to install the header? Or anything I need to be aware and careful when I bring it to a tuning shop?
Thanks everybody!!

Andy
Old 10-05-14, 10:50 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I run Hi-Flow cats, not because of the noise, although that certainly is a consideration, but really because of the environment. I just think it's the right things to do.

As far as installation, the sub frame needs to be dropped, take it to someone who preferably has experience with ISF header installation. If no shop like that is in your area, follow the instructions carefully. It's not a job for a novice.

Edit, hey I see your from Santa Barbara. I lived there for 25 years, left in the nineties. One of my biggest regrets in life was leaving that town

You may find a shop in Ventura that has the experience.

Lou
Old 10-05-14, 01:07 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

My advice:

1) purchase O2 sensors (Denso) ahead of time. Just in case they are stripped coming off the OEM manifolds, they are there for a quick installation.

2) purchase heat sleeves for the wiring extensions. Many members have experienced melting of wires due to its close proximity to the piping

If you want hi-flow cats to soften the sound, that might be your best bet. Headers will make the car louder, which some like, while others prefer a quieter approach but still performing well.

Best of luck!
Old 10-05-14, 02:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87

2) purchase heat sleeves for the wiring extensions. Many members have experienced melting of wires due to its close proximity to the piping!
This step is no longer necessary with PPE headers, the headers now ship with insulation for the o2 sim wiring harness.

Lou
Old 10-05-14, 02:53 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Good to know, Lou. Didn't know PPE included them with the extensions now.
Old 10-05-14, 03:18 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if ur Lexus dealer will do the install. Mine did it for $650 and have had zero issues with codes or anything else. I have no cats and with windows down there is a gas smell, nothing horrible but def noticeable.
Old 10-06-14, 09:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

It would be a bad idea to ask any dealer in California to install headers which remove the catalytic converters. You will need to find a muffler shop or an independent who is willing to risk the penalties from CARB for removing a catalytic converter.

Also, even if you replace the OEM cat with an aftermarket cat, you will not pass California smog legitimately. No headers for the IS-F are CARB approved. With the size of the IS-F market, it's also pretty unlikely there ever will be CARB approved headers. Getting the approval is a paperwork nightmare and costs a small fortune.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-08-14 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-08-14, 09:51 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I couldnt even get local garages to install the Borla header back for that reason. Now I have Borla and PPE no cats and its not as loud as you would think.

I actually wouldnt mind it a little louder.
Old 10-08-14, 10:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

considering the CEL risk and the fact that you are so close to AZ, why not make a weekend trip and have PPE do install ?? With all of the CEL threads popping up its pretty obvious that install quality is critical to not make the experience headache free . Just my 2 cents
Old 10-08-14, 11:59 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
considering the CEL risk and the fact that you are so close to AZ, why not make a weekend trip and have PPE do install ?? With all of the CEL threads popping up its pretty obvious that install quality is critical to not make the experience headache free . Just my 2 cents
^^^+1

I agree, its definitely worth the trip to save the headache. Many have had a successful install without issue, but if you're one of the unlucky ones who has a bad install, you will have to bring it back in, try to diagnose the issue, potentially buy new 02 extenders if your installer didn't route them away from the headers properly, etc. PPE is a 4-5 hour drive from you (if I'm not mistaken), make a weekend out of it and have them do it. They have the resources and the experience to do it right the first time, with plenty of inventory of items in stock in the event that something isn't working right (a 02 conditioner, a wiring harness, a gasket, etc). I went without cats, its not very loud inside the cabin, outside its probably pretty loud. Good luck! Also, I posted a thread with a pic of a bracket that needs to be removed during install if you decide to have another shop do it.
Old 10-23-14, 12:01 PM
BlackISFtx
Rookie

Find a shop that has installed headers on a ISF before. I made the mistake on bringing my car to a shop that "has experience" in installing headers on other cars and it was a nightmare! PPE has excellent customer service if you/your shop runs into an issue with installing, so at least you will get a piece of mind that the issue that might come up will be taking care of. and of course get some extra pair o2 sensors, b/c those thing are PITA to take out and could possibly strip. Your gonna get butterfly's every time you push the start button!
Old 11-23-14, 02:19 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a set of PPE headers that im going to have installed soon, what about the header bolts/ studs, can the OEM one's be reused? or will I need to purchase new bolts/studs as it don't look like there will be access to them again to check for them working loose after a few heat cycles.
Old 11-25-14, 11:41 AM
EpikOEM
Rookie

Reading all these stories about folks having issues with the PPE header install is giving me cold feet about the headers. Anyone know of any shops in Houston that they would recommend do the install?
Old 11-25-14, 02:39 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EpikOEM
Reading all these stories about folks having issues with the PPE header install is giving me cold feet about the headers. Anyone know of any shops in Houston that they would recommend do the install?
Don't be scared about getting them installed, 99% of the people with issues were due to them melting the 02 extensions or cutting/damaging an 02 sensor by accident. Heres a link to a pic during my install of a bracket that needs to be removed during install, if not it won't allow the 02 extensions to be routed far enough away from the header to prevent them from melting or pulling a wire loose.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html

Also, like previous posts mention, get yourself a set of Denso 02 senors because the ones currently on your car usually they get welded in place, and will break when trying to remove them. If you need a set, I have some extras in the classified section. You may get away with not needing them, but if your car is on the lift and all taken apart and they break, you're at the mercy of a dealer who charges an arm and a leg for them.

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 11-25-14 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-25-14, 03:13 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
This step is no longer necessary with PPE headers, the headers now ship with insulation for the o2 sim wiring harness.

Lou
When did PPE do this? Mine is unlikely to have it, just to prevent future problem.. I would like to know the exact model/size/length of the heat sleeves that PPE used and a url to buy it would be great.

Last edited by jadeboy; 11-25-14 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: PPE header installation