IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Headers and long term reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 05:22 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Headers and long term reliability

Headers will probably be the next mod that I do to my F, I have read a good bit about them on here, but no one really says anything about how they are doing long term ( any issues from heat on engine bay plastics after years of use) or how the coating holds up after years of use as track or DD or just anything else that seems to be an issue over time after being installed.
Old 10-04-14, 06:09 AM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the PPE headers on my car for 18 months now, plenty of track/autocross/mountain runs and daily driving, not a single issue. I still bring it back to Lexus for servicing and they said the car is in great condition. I don't think you'll have issues if installed properly, hundreds of us have run headers without issues for many years.
Old 10-04-14, 11:26 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

same hear..year and a half later and still perfect! I'm sure proper installation has a lot to do with it though(thanks RCB)
Old 10-04-14, 11:34 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

I don't see any issues with long term reliability with PPE headers. It is a high quality product. Plenty of members on here have their headers. They are also a CL vendor. I'm sure they'll be happy to chime in . They don't make headers for my car..yet but if they did they'd be my only choice for headers.
Old 10-04-14, 02:51 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll check the condition of everything when I have my ISF in the shop to get suspension and OS Giken installed in a few weeks. I've had Sikky headers on the car for a few years now...no issues, but will update when I look at things from the bottom up.
Old 10-05-14, 07:02 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

PPE here for more than a year and no issues.
Old 10-05-14, 07:53 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 years with sikky headers and a Joe-Z exhaust and no issues!
Old 10-05-14, 09:19 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
I'll check the condition of everything when I have my ISF in the shop to get suspension and OS Giken installed in a few weeks. I've had Sikky headers on the car for a few years now...no issues, but will update when I look at things from the bottom up.
man i bet your excited, it will be a different car when you get it back i'm sure.
Old 10-05-14, 09:25 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how many of of these F's are daily drivers?...so no one has rust( the coating on the headers must be of good quality) and happy to not hear of any heat related issues so far! the car is really dependable and don't wanna take away from that with this mod, but there seems to be no bad side effects so far!. keep them coming!
Old 10-05-14, 11:00 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I have the first set of production PPE headers (old style of course) and no sign of any degradation.

Lou
Old 10-06-14, 03:17 PM
ISFalex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rselby
how many of of these F's are daily drivers?...so no one has rust( the coating on the headers must be of good quality) and happy to not hear of any heat related issues so far! the car is really dependable and don't wanna take away from that with this mod, but there seems to be no bad side effects so far!. keep them coming!
Mine is (kind of) a DD. It is always driven on nice days. It loses no reliability at all.
Old 10-06-14, 05:17 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

If I could do it over again, I'd keep it stock. Headers did cause a little bit of CEL problems for me which are fixed now. I went to headers in pursuit of breaking 12.0@ the 1/4 mile. Which I did, but quite honestly, it's not THAT much faster that it warrants the raw fuel smell, the nerves i get during emissions, and the cost. I've incurred about 3K in parts, install, and A/F sensors over the last 2 years... for what? 1/10 in 0-60 and 2/10 in the 1/4 mile. An exhaust has about the same amount of benefit (in my case, Borla) w/o costing as much, no CEL, and not worried about emissions. But the Borla exhaust with it's slip joints isn't as solid as a stock exhaust and once again, for 1200 bucks, it was 1/10 in 0-60 and another 2/10 in the 1/4. Would I do it again? No. Keep it stock, keep it legal, and also resale is much better for stock cars. If you really want a faster car, save up the money you'd use in mods and buy a faster car.
Old 10-06-14, 10:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
If I could do it over again, I'd keep it stock. Headers did cause a little bit of CEL problems for me which are fixed now. I went to headers in pursuit of breaking 12.0@ the 1/4 mile. Which I did, but quite honestly, it's not THAT much faster that it warrants the raw fuel smell, the nerves i get during emissions, and the cost. I've incurred about 3K in parts, install, and A/F sensors over the last 2 years... for what? 1/10 in 0-60 and 2/10 in the 1/4 mile. An exhaust has about the same amount of benefit (in my case, Borla) w/o costing as much, no CEL, and not worried about emissions. But the Borla exhaust with it's slip joints isn't as solid as a stock exhaust and once again, for 1200 bucks, it was 1/10 in 0-60 and another 2/10 in the 1/4. Would I do it again? No. Keep it stock, keep it legal, and also resale is much better for stock cars. If you really want a faster car, save up the money you'd use in mods and buy a faster car.
I respect you for being very objective. I have been saying this for a while. It sounds harsh but its so true.
Old 10-07-14, 09:57 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

more than 3 yrs with Sikky header not a damn thing
Old 10-07-14, 11:40 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have been saying this for a while. It sounds harsh but its so true.
Yes you have, and repeating it over and over again does not make it so!

Lou

Quick Reply: Headers and long term reliability