Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 11:36 AM
bdkim88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New question about sikky headers & oem exhaust

Hi all ~
I'm thinking of going sikky headers.
Here's the brief reason why I want to go with stock exhaust.
If I go headers with catback exhaust, the sound would be crazy for me, plus emittimg non-environmental exhaust gas, cause there are no cats. So I have to set up new cats in this case. But I don't want to spend money for all those headers, aftermarket catback exhaust and additional cats. It's a way too much for my situation.
By far, it's not something new story to you guys.

Anyway, in this case ( headers & oe exhaust only )
I want to hear from you guys about technical aspect of this setting.
I'm not quiet interested in the difference of power gain between headers & stock exhaust and headers & aftermarket catback exhaust.

I know the stock exhaust has some back pressure at some point for fuel efficiency and sufficient torque at low rpm. But honestly I don't know how much restrictive the oe exhaust is. I have not seen any date about oe exhaust pressure ( when it comes to bmw 1m, oe catback exhaust pressure is 8.7kpa, 0.5 ~ 1.2kpa for oe axle back. Usually kpa for normal sedan is about 25, less than 10kpa for high performance car. )

And you might know the fact that when the back flow of the exhaust gas start going back into the engine, it could harm the engine badly.

So here's my questions.

1) headers & restrictive oe exhaust system could lead to the result of getting exhaust gas flow back into the engine by any chance ?

2) I know few member go with this setting. Could anyone tell me if there is any engine overheating problem ?

3) Do you guys have any data about where the most restrictive parts of oe exhaust?
Some says it's the crushed Y pipe.
Some says they are the cats.
Some says they are sub muffler and main mufflers that affects entire car's exhaust pressure ( this opinion is quite reliable because he makes oe exhausts for some brands. )

Last edited by bdkim88; 10-01-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 12:36 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Sikky and Joez exhaust and intake are best combo by far better get more power when u could and its all natural and its safe . Cant over heat because its going to help the engine breaths better and more air.
Old 10-02-14, 06:45 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

bdkim88 I've had my PPE headers installed with oe exhaust for nearly a year now.

So far it's been hassle free but reading your post it's made me think because the more I drive the car the more I feel that the oe exhaust is causing more restrictions.

over the past few months I've noticed that when driving (usually 3rd gear or 4th) and I let go of the gas slightly, to let the car cruise on it's own momentum I feel a slight restriction, similar to running bad gas or letting go of the gas pedal completely.

It only happens for a sec or two but it is noticeable to me, which is why I'm now thinking this could be from the oe exhaust gases going back up the headers since I'm letting go of the gas and there isn't enough pressure to drive the exhaust gasses out (due to oe exhaust restriction).

You've given me some food for thought. sorry I can't comment on your questions above much more but this is what I'm experiencing and hopefully sooner rather than later I will be installing my exhaust.

In addition to the above I feel that I'm getting way more engine noise than exhaust at the moment, especially when I'm parked. It is not annoying or too noticeable but it makes me think that I'm restricting the engine and emissions more than what it should be.
Old 10-02-14, 09:01 AM
bdkim88
Rookie

Default Thanks for reply

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Sikky and Joez exhaust and intake are best combo by far better get more power when u could and its all natural and its safe . Cant over heat because its going to help the engine breaths better and more air.

Yes, that might be the one of the best combo so far.
But I can not stand the loud sound and the exhaust gas if I go with catback exhaust
So maybe I have to install additional cats..
As you know, some of high flow cats are around 2~3K
Therefore I want to know if there is any issue with headers only
Old 10-02-14, 09:18 AM
bdkim88
Rookie

Default Thanks for reply

Originally Posted by Defratos
bdkim88 I've had my PPE headers installed with oe exhaust for nearly a year now.

So far it's been hassle free but reading your post it's made me think because the more I drive the car the more I feel that the oe exhaust is causing more restrictions.

over the past few months I've noticed that when driving (usually 3rd gear or 4th) and I let go of the gas slightly, to let the car cruise on it's own momentum I feel a slight restriction, similar to running bad gas or letting go of the gas pedal completely.

It only happens for a sec or two but it is noticeable to me, which is why I'm now thinking this could be from the oe exhaust gases going back up the headers since I'm letting go of the gas and there isn't enough pressure to drive the exhaust gasses out (due to oe exhaust restriction).

You've given me some food for thought. sorry I can't comment on your questions above much more but this is what I'm experiencing and hopefully sooner rather than later I will be installing my exhaust.

In addition to the above I feel that I'm getting way more engine noise than exhaust at the moment, especially when I'm parked. It is not annoying or too noticeable but it makes me think that I'm restricting the engine and emissions more than what it should be.

Your experience tells me a lot, I really appreciate it.
I think it's very sophiscated subject..
So, at first I need to know the exhaust pressure of each section of the oe exhaust system
Maybe it could help understanding isf more deeply
I'm thinking of checking at the end of this year ( now I'm quiet busy )
Old 10-02-14, 09:19 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$2-3k for high flow cats? I hope u mean $200-$300 cause ur misinformed. U can get high flow cats for $275 from PPE.
Old 10-02-14, 09:21 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Its will break in and the sound is truly music to our ears is not as loud as u think meet up with urs local ISF owners to see and hear it . Then u can decide.
Old 10-02-14, 09:27 AM
bdkim88
Rookie

Default Thanks for reply

Originally Posted by Mrd916
$2-3k for high flow cats? I hope u mean $200-$300 cause ur misinformed. U can get high flow cats for $275 from PPE.
I think the price range is variable
The oem 2nd cats are little more expensive than I thought. About 1.5~2K each?
So I want to use something equal price range with oe cats or more than that
It's my taste though
Old 10-02-14, 09:35 AM
bdkim88
Rookie

Default Thanks for your advice

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Its will break in and the sound is truly music to our ears is not as loud as u think meet up with urs local ISF owners to see and hear it . Then u can decide.
Yes, in fact 'hearing' is the most powerful solution
Unfortunately, in Korea, there are just 3 ISF which installed headers
Because there are maybe only 60 ISF in Korea
And not like you guys, I have to spend almost 3K for perchasing, importing the headers and installation
All of you members in US, you are the perfect guys for owning ISF
In my case, I have to spend nearly 3K for install JoeZ exhaust
So, cheer me up

ps. Maybe I might go California next year. I'll look forward to hope to hear some sounds when I get there

Last edited by bdkim88; 10-02-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 09:40 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will have to look at my stock manifolds I have in the garage cause I thought adding aftermarket headers makes it impossible to have cats unless aftermarket cats are welded in. So Sikky headers with the stock exhaust rstains the factory cats?
Old 10-02-14, 09:43 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^The stock ISF comes with 2 pairs of Catalytic Converters. The Primary Set is located just behind the factory exhaust manifolds, and each manifold and cat are one assembly. The Secondary cats are located in the stock exhaust system. So, if you install headers and keep the stock exhaust, you retain the Secondary Set of cats.

Lou
Old 10-02-14, 09:45 AM
bdkim88
Rookie

Default As I understand

Originally Posted by Mrd916
I will have to look at my stock manifolds I have in the garage cause I thought adding aftermarket headers makes it impossible to have cats unless aftermarket cats are welded in. So Sikky headers with the stock exhaust rstains the factory cats?
1st cats are at the end of oe headers and 2nd cats are located in midpipe.
So, when you replace into with just sikky headers or ppe, only 1st cats will be removed.
Old 10-02-14, 09:59 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I still wonder is anyone passed sniffer in California with headers and OEM exhaust.
Anyone in SoCal with this setup?
Old 10-02-14, 11:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
I still wonder is anyone passed sniffer in California with headers and OEM exhaust.
Anyone in SoCal with this setup?
Not without finding someone who will ignore the visual. There's always a way to pass. Not all of them follow the letter of the law, and a pass won't save you from a roadside inspection by CHP. Just one of the myriad reasons I left California after 24 years of living there.
Old 10-02-14, 12:13 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not without finding someone who will ignore the visual. There's always a way to pass. Not all of them follow the letter of the law, and a pass won't save you from a roadside inspection by CHP. Just one of the myriad reasons I left California after 24 years of living there.
Couldn't agree more:-)
Just interested to know what the smog check numbers looked like to see the effectiveness of the secondary cats.

Quick Reply: New question about sikky headers & oem exhaust