IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PLEASE HELP. Noobie to IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 07:39 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

might just be straight pipes...lol check youtube for videos and see what it sounds like
Old 09-21-14, 07:41 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock is hardly noticeable, aldo boring and slow!
Old 09-21-14, 08:50 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by kiryu
Can anyone please tell me if this is common in IS-F? how do you guys tolerate this noise? I want a daily driver that can be used for sporty driving 10% of the time but most of the time I want it to blend in like a normal car going to work. Do you think my mufflers could have been broken? or it has been modified but the dealer can't tell?
Is it possible to custom fit a high flow quiet exhaust but keeping the exhaust tips?
As has been suggested previously, take a picture of you exhaust system, and we can tell you if it's stock or not. From your description, I'm betting it's not.

BUT, I see you live in California, if your car is registered there, and the exhaust is not stock, the dealer you bought it from broke the law. A non stock car will not pass emissions in California whether it's emissions are clean or not. And, if your exhaust is non stock, you will never be able to pass emissions. Again, post a pict.

And Yes, most of us with a modified exhaust system, retain the stock tips as they are not physically attached to the tail pipes.

Lou
Old 09-21-14, 10:14 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Post a video clip inside the cabin as well as a pic under the car. You don't have to put it on a lift for us to be able to tell if you have an aftermarket exhaust. Headers won't be visible unless you take off the engine cover, which you can do that and post a pic of that as well. I have aftermarket headers and exhaust, and its LOUD when I want it to be, while cruising its almost unnoticeable. Make sure your spare tire and everything is in place in the trunk. If that stuff is missing it could be louder in the vehicle. Even with aftermarket headers and exhaust though, I don't know of ANY that are THAT loud.

So a quick recap:

-Post a pic of the headers with the engine cover off.
-Go to the back of the car and take a pic of the exhaust from underneath the rear bumper
-Post a video clip inside and one with an outside view revving and idling.

Lastly, you can go back to a lexus dealer that has an IS-F in stock and compare the exhaust sounds from both.
Old 09-21-14, 12:08 PM
ISFBEN
Driver School Candidate

Post a video of you giving your ISF a few revs on YouTube and post link here
Old 09-21-14, 12:15 PM
isfdro
Driver School Candidate

Yes the ISF is very quiet. It probably has had the cats removed and even then it shouldn't sound too laud.
Old 09-21-14, 01:20 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, thanks for the input~~

i took some quick pictures today...took off the engine covers and plastic covers..dont know what i am looking at..
i uploaded them here...

http://s358.photobucket.com/user/pofansu/library/ISF
Old 09-21-14, 01:40 PM
Stuno1
Driver

Looks like a custom system. Cat deleted, rear silencer deleted and smaller back boxes.
Old 09-21-14, 01:59 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kiryu
Hi all, thanks for the input~~

i took some quick pictures today...took off the engine covers and plastic covers..dont know what i am looking at..
i uploaded them here...

http://s358.photobucket.com/user/pofansu/library/ISF
Yes this car has an aftermarket Intake & Exhaust..

That explains why it doesn't sound stock or quiet

Joe Z
Old 09-21-14, 03:48 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Hi all,

Does anyone know how do I go against a franchise dealer in this case? They told us everything is stock (internet sales manager, sales, finance officer), but it's not written down or anything. Now it's been modded, we didnt know, and the paperwork is signed with as is and no warranty etc. Obviously we are the biggest idiots. What do I have to go against them? Obviously buying a whole set from Lexus would be out of the question budget wise, and going with any other system would prob run 1-2k. I can get a used stock set locally, but then that's still money and time invested to correct the issue.
Is there any law that I can use to have them fix it or at least provide compensation and I can get another system myself?
Does reporting to consumer affairs and some other organization work?
Thanks again for any insight
Old 09-21-14, 04:01 PM
Pole Position

Not to be a **** but any reason you chose to buy an F if you're so anti-noise, anti-modding etc? Seems counter-intuitive.
Old 09-21-14, 04:22 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Hmm...I dont know..but in my opinion IS-F is not a car for big time mod anyway, that's why I like it the way it is. I want a high performance daily driver that's ready yet reliable and relatively low maintenance (thus no M3 GTR), since I have little time or money to mod cars. I want something a bit more exciting than the IS350 though. I do like the interiors better than M3 or C63, and I want something that wont attract too much attention because of business use. I want to simplify my life and just have one car, rather than separate cars for separate uses, involving 3 car garage, more bills and maintenance schedule.

Sure if today I have to fix the deafening issue, I might as well squeeze a bit performance improvement over the stock, and I would be happy enough.

So overall I guess the IS-F suits my needs vs other cars, in my own limited understanding of available cars within my buying power
Old 09-21-14, 05:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Why not just sell the mods for cash + plus stock parts...?!
To a local member..

Joe Z
Old 09-21-14, 05:31 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've known a good number of IS F owners who still choose to keep it stock. Not everyone wants it to be loud or squeeze out every available pony, especially if they have families or live in certain conservative areas where a deafening exhaust note would be viewed more of a nuisance than music to one's ears.

That being said, clearly it's not stock.The intake is Takeda, which isn't bad because it retains the secondary intake and still looks stock, aside from the sticker. The exhaust doesn't draw attention to itself. Some owners chose to delete the cats and hack the OEM exhaust without making it look aftermarket, so that is most likely the case here. I still think that if you want a little bit of horsepower from the exhaust and still have it quiet, Borla's axle back is the one to go with. That or purchasing the OEM exhaust system, which is really hard to find used on the forums.
Old 09-21-14, 05:34 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First u need to figure out what kind of exhaust it is. If it's just a muffler delete and straight pipes welded in then it really has no resale value. If it's an actual exhaust like a Joe Z and u have headers also then ur sitting on about $2k worth of parts u can sell. Lesson learned for u, only 2 places I would buy an F from is a Lexus dealer or a member from here. We are straight up honest on here and a great group to know.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP. Noobie to IS-F