Accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 07:01 AM
ISFnICT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident

Hey guys.

My wife was driving the F home the other day, and another driver ran a red light and was hit by my F. The insurance company is thinking they can fix the car. I am hoping for a total loss. It is my opinion that a repaired car has inherent flaws that could effect safety and definitely effect residual value.

I have spoken with a friend who used to work in auto body repair, and he gave me a few tips to use throughout the process.

1. Make sure they take it a body shop that would be familiar with higher end cars for the estimate.
2. Make sure they use factory parts to replace the damaged ones.
3. Get a couple estimates on trade in values for diminished value should they proceed with repairs.
4. Make sure they replace all seat belts and airbags (including hardware) that were in use at the time of the accident.

The main thing he reiterated was it is the responsibility of the other party's insurance to return my car to pre-collision condition (should they not total it).

I was able to get our rental upgraded from a standard to the luxury line. I really don't think the claim administrator had any obligation to do this! I really feel like the administrator is trying to help me in a tight spot. The adjuster(s), are not. My body friend told me that the upgrade could help my overall push for total loss because the luxury rental car will cost more over the repair time vs. a quick total, and they should factor that in to the repair estimate.

I would appreciate it if anyone else here that has gone through this process before could pass along any pointers.

I am still sick to my stomach. In the end, all will be OK. There were no serious injuries to either party, so I just need to keep reminding myself that its only a car and we were all lucky.

Old 09-10-14, 07:18 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn sorry to see this happen to you. Let's hope the car is totaled so you can move on. I feel the same way about accidents. If it happens, I'd hope that the car is totaled so that I can just move on.
Old 09-10-14, 08:46 AM
supafreeza
Pole Position

Ouch...Sorry to see this happen. Good to hear is wife is well.
Old 09-10-14, 08:53 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry it happens... i am glad no one get hurts. let us know how it goes.
Old 09-10-14, 08:53 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless there is frame damage I highly doubt they will total ur car from the looks of those pics. I could be wrong but at least what I have experienced when I have wrecked a car is that it has to be a massive amount of damage to total a car. Hopefully ur frame for bent and then they will just total it.
Old 09-10-14, 08:57 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Diminished value is hard to prove. I had provided dealer appraisals, that specifically mention 'lower value due to accident.' And the other party's insurance would not budge. If this happens, don't get too hung up in the back and fourth with them. They will record everything you say to prevent a civil suit down the road.

After the first rejection, you should talk to a lawyer. Or get your own insurance involved or lender.
__

all 4 of those points are awesome advise. I wish I had that before I begun repairs on my other car. When trade-in came, I got destroyed.

Can you update us on point 4: airbags and seatbelt... I never head of that.
Old 09-10-14, 09:01 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Also, one option you may want to consider, as I don't think they will total this:

Sell the car and hold onto the repair money. I think you'll net more than market value for this car. Sell it to some guy with a body shop.

I would take the car's current market value (good condition) minus (60% cost to you, not insurance, to repair).
Old 09-10-14, 09:08 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad the wifie was ok. Hope your situation works out to your favor best of luck.
Old 09-10-14, 09:23 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It is never easy during times like these, but first and foremost, we must be thankful that your wife was not injured or hurt in any way. The car did it's job in that aspect- protect its occupants its best it can in case danger arises.

Secondly, using the OE parts as opposed to generic parts that can be applied was some good advice. It might not be cost effective to the other party, but that is what insurance is there to do- to bring the car back to pre-collision standards.

If there is frame damage, there might be enough to deem a total loss value, but again, that would have to be in the eyes of the claim adjuster. The damage is severe, and it might be a total loss after all. Just wait to see what they offer.

Try not to think about it. Hug the wife. Cars can be replaced, but wives....well, not so much.

Best of luck to you, my friend!
Old 09-10-14, 09:51 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad your wife is ok

Hang in there...there is always something faster and newer
Old 09-10-14, 10:54 AM
ISFnICT
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the encouraging words guys.

I am waiting to hear from the adjuster. I told them I wanted to be there when he went to look at the car at the Lexus dealer's body shop here in town.

I am not sure if there is frame damage or not, but I can tell you the driver's side door will not open all the way. I'd say half open if that. The front right fender is pushed into the door. That would have been the side of the frame that likely would have seen the highest compression (engineer thoughts here) as the other driver was hit on her rear tire (anyone notice her hubcap marks square in the center of the bumper) as the direction of travel was passenger to driver.

I'll do my best to keep you guys posted.

EDIT: The pictures don't convey the amount of setback the radiator took into the engine bay. The radiator dumped all of its coolant and was smashed into the intake tube.

Last edited by ISFnICT; 09-10-14 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-10-14, 11:08 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you can get diminished value and sell car and get another
Old 09-10-14, 11:09 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

diminished value should always be done, looks like you should get a decent return, you will most likely need a diminished report written though.
Old 09-10-14, 11:15 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

happy to hear your wife is ok.
Old 09-10-14, 01:14 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Sad to see a F get destroyed but glad your wife is ok and hopefully they total it out.

Quick Reply: Accident