IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking for feedback on 285/30/19 on stock wheels at the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 12:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Wow, you're really overthinking this thing. As you know I have the oversized S04s. I also have the F-Sport rear bar. My F has far more neutral handling now than when it was stock. I tend to drive aggressively, and I can take on and off ramp sweepers at a much higher speed than I could when it was stock.

I guess I've been telling you for months now, (since February) that this is the right thing to do. IMO, the car is undertired and benefits greatly from this change. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

I sent you a long PM on the subject back in August giving you a little insight about my background..

Lou
Thanks Lou. You are probably right about me over thinking this thing. I just really value the performance of the vehicle. The guys at Tire rack made it sound like it was nuts to mount a 285 on a 9" rim. My instructor says its fine, Discount tire says if it was an issue their system would red flag the order. I'll probably have them mounted and see what they look like. Thanks for your guidance and info. I wish I could meet up with you to see what your car looks like
Old 09-11-14, 02:12 PM
LexusISF19
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, you're really overthinking this thing. As you know I have the oversized S04s. I also have the F-Sport rear bar. My F has far more neutral handling now than when it was stock. I tend to drive aggressively, and I can take on and off ramp sweepers at a much higher speed than I could when it was stock. I guess I've been telling you for months now, (since February) that this is the right thing to do. IMO, the car is undertired and benefits greatly from this change. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. I sent you a long PM on the subject back in August giving you a little insight about my background.. Lou
lou u have pictures u can share? And what year is ur isf ? Thx
Old 09-11-14, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

he has posted close ups in the past. ( He was kind of the pioneer for this set up) BUT they are close ups. One member did add a side shot of his car with Lou's set up. Looks good ! I just wish I had more pics and clearer pics
Old 09-11-14, 03:10 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,371 Posts

OK, OK. I just went out to the garage.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Looking for feedback on 285/30/19 on stock wheels at the track-1.jpg   Looking for feedback on 285/30/19 on stock wheels at the track-2.jpg   Looking for feedback on 285/30/19 on stock wheels at the track-3.jpg  
Old 09-11-14, 04:18 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lou your car looks brand new still awesome job
Old 09-11-14, 06:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

OK, OK. I just went out to the garage.

Lou
Thank you very much, Lou . That was very cool of you . Your car looks great !!
Old 09-12-14, 11:52 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks Lou. You are probably right about me over thinking this thing. I just really value the performance of the vehicle. The guys at Tire rack made it sound like it was nuts to mount a 285 on a 9" rim. My instructor says its fine, Discount tire says if it was an issue their system would red flag the order. I'll probably have them mounted and see what they look like. Thanks for your guidance and info. I wish I could meet up with you to see what your car looks like
Our recommendations will be what the manufactures recommend. The biggest thing with fitment is warranty and liability. If its not mounted within the manufacture guidelines, they won't warranty it. A 285- will have a rim width range of 9.5"-10.5/11" so technically, it's not recommended. If its a wheel/tire package and its close on fitment, meets load and for track use, we will mount it.

People push recommendations all of the time, especially with track fitments.

Feel free to contact me or any of us at Tire Rack if you have any questions.

-AJ
Old 09-12-14, 12:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

cars at the shop right now being test fit with the tires ( more for looks than fit). Just want to make sure I am 100% happy with the way it looks before I proceed
Old 09-12-14, 01:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

just got back......IT LOOKS PRETTY DAMN GOOD !!! The diameter difference is barely noticeable. What you notice more than anything is that the mild stretch of the tires is gone so the tires have a more square shape. Every tech , the manager, and the assistant manager all said that the set up looks good , will handle a little better, and that they would go that route over the oem with a car as powerful as the F. Very curious to see what it feels like when I drive it today after work. Will report back, and will be doing my own track evaluation and write up next month when I beat the hell out of them at Indie Motorsports park
Old 09-12-14, 02:12 PM
2011slvISF
Rookie

I know what my next tire set up is going to be. What are the exact numbers for the front and rear please.
Old 09-12-14, 03:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^245/35/19 and 285/30/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position.

Look Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-position.html

Lou
Old 09-12-14, 03:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

HOLY CRAP !! JUST TOOK THE CAR FOR A RIDE AND IT FEELS AWFUL. The sidewall is flexing so much that the car feel wishy washy. Almost like you have a low pressure tire in the rear. I went back immediately and had them out the PSS back on. I give up !! lol I guess the engineers win on this one. oem size it is. guess I may just try the RE11 if I need more at the track , but in oem size
Old 09-12-14, 03:28 PM
2011slvISF
Rookie

Thanks....i have PSS now but i think im going to try the S-04 set up next tire change.
Old 09-12-14, 04:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
HOLY CRAP !! JUST TOOK THE CAR FOR A RIDE AND IT FEELS AWFUL.
Well, I must say I'm surprised. The S-04s are heavier then the PSS, I thought because of sidewall stiffening. Anyway, I have noticed no such effects with my F. I have no first hand experience with the PSS, but my F originally came with PS2s and IMHO, the oversized S-04s blow the stock PS2s out of the water.

Lou
Old 09-12-14, 05:02 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Do you think that's due to running the tire on a wheel slightly less wide than the manufacturer recommendation, or simply the difference between the PSS and S-04?

I currently have the standard upsized PSS but recently ordered new wheels and figured I might try S-04s on them since I'm getting towards needing new tires anyways. They're like $300 cheaper...

I'm kind of thinking the difference you feel is something I wouldn't even notice but you still have me second guessing myself LOL

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback on 285/30/19 on stock wheels at the track