Looking to purchased an used 2008 ISF, please assist

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 09:32 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to purchased an used 2008 ISF, please assist

Hey guys,

I'm looking into the possibility of owning to an used 2008 ISF and I would like some feedback what to check for. I have had the chance to look through the car and it was really clean (engine bay, trunk, interior, under body). I did not get to test drive it however, but I was in the ISF when the owner did some pulls and sounded fine. The ISF is garage kept and never winter driven. It currently has 65,000KM (40300 miles) and it was previously a demo car before the current owner. The owner is also a Toyota technician so he did all the service on the ISF (meaning no maintenance history).

This is what he said was replaced/serviced:
- Water pump
- Tires (changed to new ones three years ago)
- CD Player (under warranty)

So, while I bring the car to mechanic for a safety test, what else should be inspected?
- Steering possibly pulling to the right (while test drive)?
- Check all windows and electronics to be working
- Check leaking or blown shocks
- Check battery life/ voltage (since it is 6 years old)
- I think fuel injectors needs to be change?
- Measure brake pads and rotors
- Check all fluids (coolant, steering, brake, AC)?
- Check for head lights/ tail lights for burn out LEDs/ bulbs
- What to check for navigation to be in good health?
- Any ways to check if the car was driven hard?
- What major recalls did Lexus Canada give out?
- Anything else I need to look for?

I was not able to google search the Canadian version of the maintenance log for the ISF, does anyone have a soft copy they can please provide me? I'm hoping it is the same intervals as the US but I would like to compare.

Thanks
Old 09-07-14, 10:02 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Hey guys,

I'm looking into the possibility of owning to an used 2008 ISF and I would like some feedback what to check for. I have had the chance to look through the car and it was really clean (engine bay, trunk, interior, under body). I did not get to test drive it however, but I was in the ISF when the owner did some pulls and sounded fine. The ISF is garage kept and never winter driven. It currently has 65,000KM (40300 miles) and it was previously a demo car before the current owner. The owner is also a Toyota technician so he did all the service on the ISF (meaning no maintenance history).

- Water pump

So, while I bring the car to mechanic for a safety test, what else should be inspected?

I was not able to google search the Canadian version of the maintenance log for the ISF, does anyone have a soft copy they can please provide me? I'm hoping it is the same intervals as the US but I would like to compare.

Thanks
The owner wouldn't let you test drive it?

Besides checking the doors/hood/trunk for VIN stickers, could the owner (being a tech) not let you know the details?
Old 09-07-14, 10:48 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
The owner wouldn't let you test drive it?

Besides checking the doors/hood/trunk for VIN stickers, could the owner (being a tech) not let you know the details?
The owner didn't have insurance on it. It was kept in the garage all year. Before arriving to his place, the car in front of me got pulled over for speeding. He does however have access to dealer plate, I'm thinking about paying him another visit when I have enough money for it and ask for test drive. Thanks for the response
Old 09-08-14, 07:21 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all know that these cars are extremely reliable and they are usually no major things that go wrong like transmission going out or major electrical issues. However I would never buy a car of this price that wasn't fully documented as far as servicing goes. Maybe there are not a lot of them for sale in Canada but I would at least look around for another F to compare it to.
Old 09-08-14, 08:10 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mrd916
We all know that these cars are extremely reliable and they are usually no major things that go wrong like transmission going out or major electrical issues. However I would never buy a car of this price that wasn't fully documented as far as servicing goes. Maybe there are not a lot of them for sale in Canada but I would at least look around for another F to compare it to.
Thanks for your feedback Mrd916!
Old 09-08-14, 06:32 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 40k miles you likely have nothing to worry about, just get a PPI from a dealer near you and enjoy
Old 09-08-14, 07:59 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Hey guys,

- Water pump

Thanks
i would pass on this one if i were you. no documented history is a huge turn off to me, and he won't let you drive it? pretty douchy to me, i'd pass just on those facts alone.. and also it being a demo car, no thanks.

take your time mate, i'd try to be patient and find one with a better documented history, but thats just me.

US are same intervals think....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 09-08-14, 08:38 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scamsel
i would pass on this one if i were you. no documented history is a huge turn off to me, and he won't let you drive it? pretty douchy to me, i'd pass just on those facts alone.. and also it being a demo car, no thanks.

take your time mate, i'd try to be patient and find one with a better documented history, but thats just me.

US are same intervals think....
Thanks for the advice. I'll be patient and keep looking.
Old 09-08-14, 10:38 PM
hgill02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pass on it as others have stated. Usually a lack of service history is a big red flag. To be honest, I have done work on cars somewhat before, but I always maintain paperwork on all parts purchased (from the smallest things, oil filters, tire changes, any small item purchased for the car goes in the car folder). So the lack of history for me is a big no no.

Secondly I would always want to test drive the car. Yes these cars are very reliable (thats the reason I bought it over the M3), BUT given to the right idiot, these cars can sustain plenty of damage in 40k miles.

I just bought my 09 about a month ago. Ran the carfax report (not sure what report you run out there to verify clear title) and then had the owner take it to a Lexus dealership for a PPI. The dealership checks about 122 different items on it for the Detailed PPI (paid $258.00 for the PPI).

The owner had it serviced at Lexus dealership which showed in their records when i had them run the Vin to check for service history.

Keep looking. I much rather pay a few more bucks for something I completely trust as you are investing a large chunk of change into it.

BEST OF LUCK FRIEND
Old 09-09-14, 05:25 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hgill02
I would pass on it as others have stated. Usually a lack of service history is a big red flag. To be honest, I have done work on cars somewhat before, but I always maintain paperwork on all parts purchased (from the smallest things, oil filters, tire changes, any small item purchased for the car goes in the car folder). So the lack of history for me is a big no no.

Secondly I would always want to test drive the car. Yes these cars are very reliable (thats the reason I bought it over the M3), BUT given to the right idiot, these cars can sustain plenty of damage in 40k miles.

I just bought my 09 about a month ago. Ran the carfax report (not sure what report you run out there to verify clear title) and then had the owner take it to a Lexus dealership for a PPI. The dealership checks about 122 different items on it for the Detailed PPI (paid $258.00 for the PPI).

The owner had it serviced at Lexus dealership which showed in their records when i had them run the Vin to check for service history.

Keep looking. I much rather pay a few more bucks for something I completely trust as you are investing a large chunk of change into it.

BEST OF LUCK FRIEND
A small detail I left out and that was his license plate for ISF is expired (he has another car). He said he did all the work on the ISF and has paperwork for the water pump. I will ask if he has receipts for other maintenance. Currently he's employed at a private shop rather than Toyota so I believe he services the car there. He purchased it at 6200 miles when it was a demo.

We run CarProof report in Canada but I typically run both CarProof and CarFax if I find the car to be registered in the US.

Thank you for your feedback
Old 09-10-14, 06:05 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

As long as its clean and has no accidents...i would low ball him and buy it.
Old 09-12-14, 01:23 PM
Lucas14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know if you're still looking.

Last edited by Lucas14; 09-12-14 at 01:37 PM.