IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MotoIQ K&N Intake Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 06:24 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MotoIQ K&N Intake Review

My apologies if this has been posted or discussed before but I tend to give a fair amount of credence to MotoIQ and their testing methodology. They seem to think the K&N intake is the greatest thing since sliced bread. 30whp gains and they seem to be trying to dispel the forum posts regarding heat soak, loss of power, etc. They claim the motors may not have been at peak operating temperature, which caused the lack of power/lower numbers. I am reading a lot of conflicting info in regards to intakes so I wanted to see if anything has changed in 2014, the older posts all seem to come to arbitrary conclusions.

I just bought my F and am looking to do IHE in the near future but I am not seeing a consensus as to which is the best route to take. I live in a very hot climate so I have to take that into account as well.

Here is the original article btw -> http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ir-Intake.aspx
Old 09-06-14, 06:27 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

After reading their post, I went and bought one. Then I did a dozen dragstrip runs with it and with the stock airbox on the same day and then stock airbox with no air filter. All three setups gave statistically the EXACT same result. The airbox and filter is NOT the limiting factor in the IS-F with stock engine and exhaust. If it were making 30 more HP, I would have seen at least a .2 - .3 second difference at the strip.
Old 09-06-14, 06:29 PM
Pole Position

Hmm, so odd that real world results aren't mirroring their conclusions. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-06-14, 10:00 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW! 30whp is a lot
Old 09-06-14, 10:28 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
My apologies if this has been posted or discussed before but I tend to give a fair amount of credence to MotoIQ and their testing methodology. They seem to think the K&N intake is the greatest thing since sliced bread. 30whp gains and they seem to be trying to dispel the forum posts regarding heat soak, loss of power, etc. They claim the motors may not have been at peak operating temperature, which caused the lack of power/lower numbers. I am reading a lot of conflicting info in regards to intakes so I wanted to see if anything has changed in 2014, the older posts all seem to come to arbitrary conclusions.

I just bought my F and am looking to do IHE in the near future but I am not seeing a consensus as to which is the best route to take. I live in a very hot climate so I have to take that into account as well.

Here is the original article btw -> http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ir-Intake.aspx
If you thinking of buying one jrbully here on forum has had one for sale bnib for a while
Old 09-07-14, 05:11 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In general, almost all aftermarket intake systems with cone-style filters will perform at around the level of the stock intake, with some people actually reporting a slight decrease in power. Most of these aftermarket systems also eliminate the secondary intake opening, which sounds great at WOT but actually slightly hurts the overall power as well.

The general consensus here is to go with the Joe Z or HPS intake tubes and an aFe or Tom's drop in filter for functionality. If you absolutely have to have a cone-style filter, go with the Takeda intake, which also preserves the secondary intake opening.
Old 09-07-14, 10:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
After reading their post, I went and bought one. Then I did a dozen dragstrip runs with it and with the stock airbox on the same day and then stock airbox with no air filter. All three setups gave statistically the EXACT same result. The airbox and filter is NOT the limiting factor in the IS-F with stock engine and exhaust. If it were making 30 more HP, I would have seen at least a .2 - .3 second difference at the strip.
Whoa! You mean the dyno results did not reflect real world performance? HOLY CRAP BATMAN! How could this be?
Old 09-08-14, 11:47 AM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Whoa! You mean the dyno results did not reflect real world performance? HOLY CRAP BATMAN! How could this be?
Old 09-08-14, 06:30 PM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
If you thinking of buying one jrbully here on forum has had one for sale bnib for a while
Thanks for the tip, I contacted him and bought it lol.

Gonna try it out, I don't care so much about the gains but the NASCAR soundtrack will be nice
Old 09-08-14, 08:59 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
Thanks for the tip, I contacted him and bought it lol.

Gonna try it out, I don't care so much about the gains but the NASCAR soundtrack will be nice
We here to help each other out in whatever we can godspeed
Old 09-08-14, 09:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Only Exhausts & Headers do that...

Joe Z
Old 09-08-14, 09:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

That's NOT what he said, and you know it

Lou
Old 09-08-14, 10:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Originally Posted by lowrideraz
That's NOT what he said, and you know it

Lou
What am I missing? He said he bought the magic K&N (proved to make more power in dyno testing by MotoIQ and K&N), installed it and ran it against the stock airbox with and without the filter on the same day. He also said there was no statistically evident difference between all three set ups. I fail to see where he saw the same power increase at the track that MotoIQ and K&N demonstrated with their dyno tests. To me that says despite the dyno test results, this intake does not provide actual performance increases in the cars running it.

If I am missing something, please point it out.
Old 09-09-14, 08:59 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

What am I missing?
That, any aftermarket intake (I have a Takeda) has certainly not been proved to make more power by members of this forum. In some cases they have been reported to lose power. Figs did some dyno runs with various third party intakes that showed those kinds of results. There have been others.

Only the third party manufacturers or their shills have posted claims of increased power with an intake. On the other hand Headers and Exhaust have been shown by forum members (myself included) to make healthy gains.

Lou
Old 09-09-14, 02:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Let me repeat:

Most performance mods need a watch and timed course to demonstrate actual improvement. Few deliver the advertised claims. Many are actually worse than stock. The best performance mods are made to the driver.

I've seen lots of dynos. I've seen lots of races. Dynos have not consistently predicted race outcomes IME. It's why I take them all with a big grain of salt.

Quick Reply: MotoIQ K&N Intake Review