MotoIQ K&N Intake Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 07:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Let me repeat:

Most performance mods need a watch and timed course to demonstrate actual improvement. Few deliver the advertised claims. Many are actually worse than stock. The best performance mods are made to the driver.

I've seen lots of dynos. I've seen lots of races. Dynos have not consistently predicted race outcomes IME. It's why I take them all with a big grain of salt.

OK Lance, I'm done arguing with you over this. Headers and exhaust ARE PROVEN power makers on the ISF. It's been proven many times on this forum. Yes, a good driver in a stock ISF may just beat a bad driver in a modded one on a race course, that doesn't change the power being put down to the rear wheels.

As an aside - Do you remember the IROC racing series? I do, and think it was a Great concept. Too bad it's gone.

You are correct about advertised claims when it comes to intakes on the ISF. However, again, header and exhaust claims are proven and have shown to be repeatable by members of this forum.

One of the things that makes this forum so great are some of the members willingness to share and give advice born out or real world experiences. I have learned a lot here, and hope I have helped a few folks over the years based on my experiences. My PM box says I have. And strange as it may seem to you, I have learned much from your posts. Over the years I have marveled at the depth of knowledge and the hands on experience you possess. I really can't understand why you have constantly taken pot shots at me when I post a dyno chart, or post my opinions concerning a certain ghetto mod. I just don't comprehend.

But, again, I'm done arguing.

Lou
Old 09-09-14, 07:27 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No idea what sort of past you two share but feel free to take the cat fight to PM's.
Old 09-09-14, 08:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
No idea what sort of past you two share but feel free to take the cat fight to PM's.
LOLZ. So true. It's not personal, but for whatever reason, Lou gets wound up about this crap. Nobody said anything about exhausts, headers, running catless or anything but the K&N dyno and the MotoIQ dyno didn't work in the real world. I sure didn't.
Old 09-10-14, 08:42 AM
jkems06
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the info, I just bought an F and it came with a k&N intake.
Old 09-14-14, 08:06 PM
Pole Position

So here's a question for you guys, let's suppose you're right and the K&N intake provides no gains. To me this says MotoIQ can't really be considered trustworthy as they're shilling a product that does not meet its advertised claims. Then, in Part 2 of their "Project IS-F", I notice they install the Joe Z / PTS exhaust which is, by all accounts, one of the best exhausts for our cars and does add some power. Am I to surmise that the gains they achieved with the Joe Z are also questionable? It just seems odd that one part would produce phantom gains while another would provide real honest-to-goodness horsepower.

They say "After bolting on the exhaust, we strapped the car back on Technosquare’s dyno. Our IS-F really responded to the PTS - Joe Z Series exhaust with a peak gain of 16 hp and 23 more lb ft of torque @ 4000 rpm. The peak numbers don’t tell the whole story though. The exhaust made a maximum gain of 25 more hp at 6200 rpm and made significant gains through the whole powerband. This is awesome area under the curve and it's area under the curve that makes the car perform better more than peak numbers. We think the X pipe has a lot to do with this wide power increase."

And, in regards to the K&N intake, MotoIQ said:

"To get ready for the exhaust install and to answer questions that IS-F forum members had about our prior K&N intake test we once again went to our partner shop Techosquare and once again strapped Project IS-F to their Superflow chassis dyno. As we stated before, the Superflow is much more conservative that the typical Dynoject dyno so our numbers are lower that what is commonly reported for the IS-F. The important thing is to not look at the numbers but the change in power that the parts add."

"The K&N cold air intake has a reputation on the IS-F forums for “dialing back the power” after some miles have been put on it. Some have reported a good gain only to have the car supposedly return to stock power levels after some driving. We drove our car for more than 500 miles and several tanks of fuel before redynoing the intake. 500 miles is more than enough to trip any short or long term trim changes in the ECU. So the first part of the test was to check to see if our car had lost power."

"Well the good news is that our car had the same power as before, 22-25 more hp. Our theory to why some people have had puzzling results is that we learned that an IS-F can have a lot of variability on the dyno as it warms up. The power can vary by more than 20 whp until it reaches operating temperature for both the engine and drivetrain and settles down. Dyno operators in a hurry might not ever get the car to the settling point. Also if the dyno operator tries to cool the car down by turning it off between runs to get a really good run, there is a lot of variance. The car should be left running while the dyno fans drop the coolant temps to normal operating range for consistent readings."

"The second question brought up on the forums was would the intake make good power if the car was dynoed in sixth gear. We had originally wanted to duplicate K&N’s test which used third gear. We repeated the test using sixth gear which is closer to a 1:1 ratio. The power numbers that the K&N Intake produced were once again about identical for peak output of 22-25 more hp, but the power curve was slightly less smooth. We feel that this demonstrates that the K&N intake not only works well but has repeatable power. All future testing of parts on the car, we will use sixth gear."

Just food for thought, would like to hear what you guys think. Anyway, here is the link to Part 2 -> http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...s-Exhaust.aspx
Old 09-15-14, 01:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

This is precisely why I am always skeptical of real world performance changes because a dyno test said so. There are many ways to manipulate a dyno test. There is no way to manipulate trap speed over a timed course. Besides, I don't pull out my dyno test when someone wants to run. I drive my car. Isn't that the whole point?
Old 09-21-14, 02:28 PM
Pole Position

This topic was apparently already covered on here by MotoIQ themselves lol

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ake-power.html
Old 09-22-14, 10:34 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
Ok ok this kinda made me giggle
Old 09-22-14, 10:36 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

30whp from an Intake?? I didn't know our cars were turbo charged