Thinking of selling, opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 08:05 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Thinking of selling, opinions

Hey everyone,

I have been seriously looking at some 997 P-Cars, and with my littlest one finally moving to forward facing car seats, I can seriously think about a P-car as a DD. To do that though would mean selling my F. My question would be, what is a reasonable price to ask.
2011 USB, 56,000 miles single owner
- Black interior, all options, minus radar cruise.
- All work done at Lexus of Brookfield, following scheduled maintenance.
- New PSS and brakes put on this summer
- Mods include:
- BC Racing Coils, w/Swif springs, 16/12k
- PPE Headers
- Borla exhaust
- JoeZ intake
- New last season winter wheels with Blizzak tires

I think I would rather sell to someone that would appreciate the mods, rather than a dealer who really doesn't care. Any thoughts on fair asking prices?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of selling, opinions-dsc_0125.jpg   Thinking of selling, opinions-12921_559672897388125_1290919774_n.jpg   Thinking of selling, opinions-isf-4713-a.jpg  
Old 09-02-14, 08:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I really doubt you'll get good answers from this forum. The truth is, no car sells for a penny more than the person buying it is willing to pay. Your real problem is finding someone willing to pay what you are willing to accept.

Most modifications detract from resale value which is why you see guys selling their parts all the time. They restore the car to stock to get best price, then sell the bits they bought to modify it.

The specific issue with this forum is, owners want top dollar but buyers rave about the great deal they got on a used F. So the inputs you'll get here won't be exactly unbiased.

Best of luck with your search, and if you really are selling your car, put it in the classifieds. We don't allow sales in the main forums as I am sure you know.
Old 09-02-14, 11:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If you are going to sell I would get rid of the exhaust and maybe offer it if the buyer is a younger male. In my mind a modified car is a car that has been pushed . People modify them to drive them harder.
Old 09-03-14, 02:01 AM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lobux is right murph145 sold his or 37k had warranty and mods. Theres also one on autotrader 2011 with 33kmiles for 38 tthousand hes been trying to sell for over a month on ebay then car sites
Old 09-03-14, 03:48 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strip the mods and sell it as if it were stock. Many or most of the people interested will be turned off by the mods. I would be, I wouldn't trust the car.
Old 09-03-14, 05:41 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the others, the car will have more value in stock form. Strip it down, eat the uninstall/install costs (unless you can do the work yourself) and sell the aftermarket parts separately to make some money back. You'll find this to be the most cost effective for you, and you'll get a buyer more easily.
Old 09-03-14, 06:20 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

I see the OP listed only bolt-ons for performance mods.

Us being car enthusiasts, would you trust buying an used ISF with aftermarket headers, catback, and intake? Or would you think the car was driven hard? I'm doing a little shopping myself.. just want to see how others think
Old 09-03-14, 07:17 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
I see the OP listed only bolt-ons for performance mods.

Us being car enthusiasts, would you trust buying an used ISF with aftermarket headers, catback, and intake? Or would you think the car was driven hard? I'm doing a little shopping myself.. just want to see how others think
Depends. If you want those mods buy a modded one and save the money. As long as it has full main dealer service history it's all good IMO.
Old 09-03-14, 09:16 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

even though i sold my previous, heavily modded g35 to another forum member w/ all my mods, when i was shopping the IS F, i wanted one that didn't have any signs of being modded. it's just a stigma that seems to be prevalent across the board.
Old 09-03-14, 09:26 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the scheme of things, the modded cars here engine wise aren't really that modded that much....... A few bolt on's doesn't bother me, but I guess I'm coming from a world where almost every car has bolt ons......

All I see is an intake, exhaust, headers, and coilovers.

Last edited by pharnhyte; 09-03-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-03-14, 09:37 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pharnhyte
In the scheme of things, the modded cars here engine wise aren't really that modded that much....... A few bolt on's doesn't bother me, but I guess I'm coming from a world where almost every car has bolt ons......

This.. all we can do is bolt ons which is already is limited to only a few options. Nothing we add other than nitrous reduces reliability of the engine. If anything I/H/E on a used car saves you all the install costs and one test drive around the block would help you understand if theres anything wrong in the install process (if any). Anyways if there was a problem (even a tiny issue) a CEL would be lit up almost immediately.

If it was a turbo car then it would be a different story.
Old 09-03-14, 09:45 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pharnhyte

I am looking for an IS-F and I am ok with the mods that the OP's car has.

OP I am not ready to purchase the car right now but I will be by end of year/ beginning of next year. If you still have it we can talk.

GL
Old 09-03-14, 10:38 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I would be surprised if the dealer gave you over 36-37k.
Old 09-03-14, 11:57 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

A buddy of mine lives near our area, has a 996 GT3 and a '86 911 that he races with the PCA.

I asked him a couple years ago about daily driving a 911 with kids and he laughed at me. He said "sure it can be done, by why put yourself and the car through that?"

My plan is to pay off the IS-F, keep it until the wheels fall off and buy another special car (maybe used 996 GT3?).

You can pay off the IS-F and by then the 997 will be even cheaper.

Not sure if you have an SUV or Truck yet, but with my two houses and young kids, an SUV (maybe more a truck) is a God send...

I vote for keeping the IS-F and saving money for when its paid off to get something
Old 09-03-14, 12:09 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yea as stated by others modded car market is tough! even the used F market is tough. You can try and get around $39K for it might take some time or put it back to stock and get around what I did $37K I left my body kit on and the lowering springs because i was just over it and wanted the car gone took me almost 4 months to sell and I started at around $43K and finally accepted $37K

Also I dont think you want to DD the P car unless you only drive a few miles each way.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling, opinions