IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Heart was set on an M3..drove away with an IS-F

Old 09-01-14, 08:02 PM
justinco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heart was set on an M3..drove away with an IS-F

And I am very happy with my choice

I had been wanting an e90 M3 for the longest time, but just recently started cross shopping with them other cars. I remember how I really liked the IS-F when it first came out, but I really haven't thought of it much until now. I thought to myself; it is in the same performance/luxury category for the most part and has everything I want...4 doors, sporty, luxurious, looks awesome, has a monstrosity of a v8 engine...etc.

Well, over the weekend I went to a dealer that had one of each (M3 and IS-F) so I went to test drive them back to back so I had a good feel (I had driven a few M3 sedans already, but not an IS-F). Long story short(er), I was blown away by how good the IS-F was and was kind of shocked that I liked it more than the M3! (I'm on my 3rd BMW right now and I really love the cars, minus mechanical woes ) We took the IS-F for another (longer) test drive and were sold. The car was pretty much perfect and had everything I wanted in a sports sedan.

Anyways, enough of the chat, here is my 2011 Lexus IS-F in Starfire Pearl on black interior, NAV/ML, etc...barely 16k miles on it. First weekend trip was up Lariot Loop (Lookout Mtn) in Golden, CO. Car is so much fun to drive and I can't get enough of the V8 roar

The night we got her:

Dash:

On the mountain:

Car can't get enough of these roads

Engine bay:
Old 09-01-14, 08:20 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! It's hard to go wrong with any of the cars in this class. Some will be die hard M3 fanatics, others will choose the C63, and the rest will be plenty happy with what the IS F has to offer, which in my opinion is more than comparable on a stock format. Of course, the MB and BMW have a greater selection of aftermarket mods available, but the IS F has more than enough for any road to tackle.

Any mods planned for the time being? Enjoy your F either way!
Old 09-01-14, 09:27 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats!!! MY11+ is a great choice, revised suspension and lsd helped the F matches E9X lap times since 2011 model and up.
Old 09-01-14, 09:37 PM
justinco
Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Congrats on the purchase! It's hard to go wrong with any of the cars in this class. Some will be die hard M3 fanatics, others will choose the C63, and the rest will be plenty happy with what the IS F has to offer, which in my opinion is more than comparable on a stock format. Of course, the MB and BMW have a greater selection of aftermarket mods available, but the IS F has more than enough for any road to tackle.

Any mods planned for the time being? Enjoy your F either way!
Thanks! I looked at the C63's as well, but prefer the BMW and Lexus over that. I really love the M3, will probably get one one day, but I am loving the IS-F for sure. I think the IS-F makes a better all around car in my opinion, that is kind of what sold me on it. I am thinking of just doing Joe Z intake and exhaust in the spring, don't think I will get too crazy with mods.

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
congrats!!! MY11+ is a great choice, revised suspension and lsd helped the F matches E9X lap times since 2011 model and up.
Thanks again. Yep I am glad I got the 2011, I had researched all the model years so I was aware of the differences, can't wait to get it on the track
Old 09-01-14, 10:06 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i was in the same boat a couple of years ago. e92 m3 and isf. ISF was so much more modern in the interior with so much more modern amenities. also felt a big diff in torque around town. congrats on the buy
Old 09-01-14, 10:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I too drove the M3 and decided that the F was better. I liked the nicer interior and extra torque. The fact that it wouldnt have me at the dealership all the time was a big part of it too
Old 09-01-14, 10:59 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! Congrats. This would be my next choice if I didn't like convertibles so much. But as a "family" sedan this will be the next one for my *cough* wife. Haha.
Old 09-01-14, 11:01 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Great choice and congrats and welcome aboard
Old 09-02-14, 12:02 AM
Recaro18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the same boat...love the E90 M3!!! Comparing it with the C63...i did a lot of research, youtube comparo videos, saw a few videos with the M3, C63 and the ISF.. M3 is a drivers car, and always was the top pick of the drivers...but im not really taking the car on the track, my priority was safety/reliabilty, fun factor and of course horsepower. So we drove to a dealer that had an ISF, just wanting to show to the wifey and have a feel of the car, no intentions of buying a car that day....but guess what, i loved the car, wifey loved the car (cuz she can drive it, she cant drive a manual trans,lol) and the dealer gave me an awesome deal!!

Glad I did my research as well, 2011MY is a good year because of the LSD and the improved, more forgiving suspension..also liked the instrumentation on the 2011 with the big tach in the middle...and lastly, the daytime running light looks more updated like the current models, my son calls it the Nike swoosh sign, lol!

2011 Silver/black , 22k miles, still has factory warranty, the car is flawless!!

Last edited by Recaro18; 09-02-14 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-02-14, 12:12 AM
GriMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant go wrong with SFP. Congrats and enjoy it.
Old 09-02-14, 01:04 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

ppe headers and joe z exhaust!!!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-02-14, 05:34 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Congrats! I too have that color combo and bought mine with 15K miles. Enjoy!
Old 09-02-14, 08:33 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IS-F was a great choice. Stock for Stock M3 vs IS-F, the IS-F is the much better inside, outside, and faster car. I don't know how much you are into modding but thats where the M3 takes it as it has MUCH more aftermarket support than the IS-F which you only have your basic tuner mods.

All in all, you would like the IS-F much better than the M3
Old 09-02-14, 08:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

watch youtube vids of ISF with PPE headers and exhaust. Your jaw will drop how good it sounds
Old 09-02-14, 09:34 AM
justinco
Driver

Thanks all for the congrats! First day driving to work, got the emissions done in the morning.

Soon I am going to get the partial clear bra removed (don't like the lip it creates on the hood) and then have the hood and probably bumper fully covered. In between the new clear bra I will be doing a full detail on the car with a polish and coating of CQuartz UK

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i was in the same boat a couple of years ago. e92 m3 and isf. ISF was so much more modern in the interior with so much more modern amenities. also felt a big diff in torque around town. congrats on the buy
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I too drove the M3 and decided that the F was better. I liked the nicer interior and extra torque. The fact that it wouldnt have me at the dealership all the time was a big part of it too
I agree on all of these accounts Interior is a lot nicer with much better tech', this was a huge plus for me and my wife especially. I will also admit, having owned 3 BMW's already, I was really hesitant to get another one with the various maintenance issues I've had with mine.

Originally Posted by Recaro18
I was on the same boat...love the E90 M3!!! Comparing it with the C63...i did a lot of research, youtube comparo videos, saw a few videos with the M3, C63 and the ISF.. M3 is a drivers car, and always was the top pick of the drivers...but im not really taking the car on the track, my priority was safety/reliabilty, fun factor and of course horsepower. So we drove to a dealer that had an ISF, just wanting to show to the wifey and have a feel of the car, no intentions of buying a car that day....but guess what, i loved the car, wifey loved the car (cuz she can drive it, she cant drive a manual trans,lol) and the dealer gave me an awesome deal!!

Glad I did my research as well, 2011MY is a good year because of the LSD and the improved, more forgiving suspension..also liked the instrumentation on the 2011 with the big tach in the middle...and lastly, the daytime running light looks more updated like the current models, my son calls it the Nike swoosh sign, lol!

2011 Silver/black , 22k miles, still has factory warranty, the car is flawless!!
That's about how our visit went, didn't really have any intention of buying that day...but when I loved the IS-F, and my wife especially loved it (over the M3 by a long shot), I don't think she was going to let me leave w/out buying it haha

Originally Posted by joshhleee
ppe headers and joe z exhaust!!!
Originally Posted by NYKnick101
IS-F was a great choice. Stock for Stock M3 vs IS-F, the IS-F is the much better inside, outside, and faster car. I don't know how much you are into modding but thats where the M3 takes it as it has MUCH more aftermarket support than the IS-F which you only have your basic tuner mods.

All in all, you would like the IS-F much better than the M3
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
watch youtube vids of ISF with PPE headers and exhaust. Your jaw will drop how good it sounds
I look into the PPE headers, I read that they make the car *much* louder, true? I want to get some more beastly'ness out of the sound but not go overboard, so that is why I was thinking JoeZ exhaust and the intake.

I love modding cars, however this one will be pretty tame. I have an e36 BMW that I use for autox/track driving and that one gets all the mod' money

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heart was set on an M3..drove away with an IS-F