IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

4yr. Evaluation of ISF with Porsche Turbo S as Benchmark

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 03:17 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 4yr. Evaluation of ISF with Porsche Turbo S as Benchmark

I had a great opportunity to purchase a Porsche Turbo from a fellow friend as my career has grown, and also was a great opportunity to see how the F holds in comparison to. Yes I know this is not apples to apples but it allows me to pick apart the F and see how it holds.

The Turbo is an amazing machine, now integrated with the 7 speed PDK which did hold true to being an amazing transmission and mated with the flat six twin turbo engine. First off from speed stand point to the F yes ofcoarse we know there is no comparison. the turbo was a complete rocket. The way the transmission and engine bonded in sport or sport plus was incredible, very well done. I ran into a new corvette and easily peddled against him without effort. Once the variable turbo controller acclamated the psi input, it kicked in after a slight pause after WOT input you were gone with an onward rush of power and a gauky sounding exhaust with tons of boost going into the engine. I knew for all apparent reasons the turbo ofcoarse was faster but with such comparison I am still proud of our engine making the driving experience fun and competitive when needed.

Transmission comparison. The PDKs shift were very smooth and quick due to preselection. One thing I would like lexus to do in their tuning is as porsche did. When I would downshift in sport mode the car would up rev. without hesitation everytime no matter the gear. Also I think this was quite noticeable because one less gear required more rpm for the porsche. But our eight speed in comparision to 6 year difference and technology I must say lexus is quite spot on still very good for the super car to sedan comparo, 50K vs, 150K, etc.

All in all just wanted to throw a quick comparison in. Its hard to compare apples to oranges but brings in perspective to the matter. The Porsche is an amazing track car I compete with the best , launch control FYI insane! 4 wheel drive drifts, etc. This level of car when those switch takes a trained driver, and I would insist a driving school porches driving experience etc to understand limitations of the car in a controlled environment before you push to the limits on the street, etc.
Nonetheless, you just would have to have the ISF and Porsche bc the rear seats are useless in the Porsche, but for that drive and the thrill what a machine. Thus, I can see why those go to the GTR I never pulled the trigger 2 years ago bc fit and finish and headliner dropping on a 80K car, but still a very good option. At the end of the day my ISF cost me $42K with 12K miles in 09, and this tubo was $172K one year ago and now has 15K on it...so for $130K difference I say the F is a damn good car
Attached Thumbnails 4yr. Evaluation of ISF with Porsche Turbo S as Benchmark-img_4450.jpg   4yr. Evaluation of ISF with Porsche Turbo S as Benchmark-img_4453.jpg  
Old 09-01-14, 03:28 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice review, beautiful rides
Old 09-01-14, 03:43 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

noooo its a convertible.. still a turbo.. and a s. LOL.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-01-14, 03:49 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFF
Transmission comparison. The PDKs shift were very smooth and quick due to preselection. One thing I would like lexus to do in their tuning is as porsche did. When I would downshift in sport mode the car would up rev. without hesitation everytime no matter the gear. Also I think this was quite noticeable because one less gear required more rpm for the porsche.
obviously no comparison as the pdk is one of the best transmissions you can have, but the F does blip on all downshifts i've noticed, but maybe not near as aggressively or as noticeable like from 8 down to 7 and 6, but still it does so slightly. or do you mean from 2 to 1?

either way, awesome car man, what a blast it must be. i've never ridden in a porsche before let alone a turbo S, one day though! fit and finish on them are great. as it should be!
Old 09-01-14, 04:30 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scamsel
obviously no comparison as the pdk is one of the best transmissions you can have, but the F does blip on all downshifts i've noticed, but maybe not near as aggressively or as noticeable like from 8 down to 7 and 6, but still it does so slightly. or do you mean from 2 to 1?

either way, awesome car man, what a blast it must be. i've never ridden in a porsche before let alone a turbo S, one day though! fit and finish on them are great. as it should be!
As I was writing the comparo, I realized the up-revs where more noticeable (more dramatic) on the porsche bc there are only 7 gears, which makes them farther from one another, requiring more RPM, thus it "seemed" more responsive, but right in reality thats why I generally double-tap initially to down shift twice on my initial downshift to rev-match properly opposed to only once with the 7 speed. Great car, but I cannot bring my two boys along so as being a very family oriented person not good.
i had a boxster a few years back what a turd but was fun. I drove my exs fathers new 997 Carrera S about 4 years ago now and still had a weak tranny that was replaced after 2k miles, but now the newer carreras ofcoarse due to tranny etc are much more enjoyeable. These cars are beautiful but im finding it hard to ever daily spending such money unless my income exceeds 200K where I dont even have to bat an eye at it wearing from such use. Never the less drifting 4 wheel drive around a corner is nuts and short wheelbase makes this effortless.
Old 09-01-14, 06:15 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Turbo S doesn't sound as good as an F's V8 (like a giant shop vac) and the Turbo S's suspension is a lot firmer and causes stuff inside the car to rattle. Also, the short wheelbase makes the car pitch back and forth a lot and it's harder to get in and out of. Plus there isn't much room for golf clubs and stuff like that unless you put it in the passenger seat.

BUT, it does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds and does the quarter in 10.75 seconds at almost 130 mph stock.

Reliability isn't as high with the Turbo S as the F in my experience. My IS-F is 6 1/2 years old with 51K miles and no problems. My Turbo S blew a front diff at 17K miles.

I actually like the IS-F's transmission. All it needs is a sports + mode where it keeps it in the lowest gear possible for track purposes and where it shifts as hard as Manual mode right up to redline - would be nice for drag racing.
Old 09-01-14, 06:49 PM
WebSoCal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sexy!!! This car is in my list too lol
Old 09-01-14, 07:36 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Awesome garage
Old 09-01-14, 07:38 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Beautiful Matador Red.
Old 09-01-14, 07:42 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Thanks men.
ToothDoc, yeah im sure the drive train has much more to handle..my friend just got his mark II, GT3 stroked with the 4.1 kit from shark works and sounds so nasty..needs a bit of exhaust work,..we all know though thats one down side is turbos in good and bad way heavily manipulate the exhaust tone. But I will say this turbo is much different that previous versions I have ridden in.
Old 09-01-14, 11:09 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Cool toys
Old 09-02-14, 11:20 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

very nice Turbo S!
Old 09-02-14, 02:34 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice!

turbo and awd! no comparison
Old 09-02-14, 08:27 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
The Turbo S doesn't sound as good as an F's V8 (like a giant shop vac) and the Turbo S's suspension is a lot firmer and causes stuff inside the car to rattle. Also, the short wheelbase makes the car pitch back and forth a lot and it's harder to get in and out of. Plus there isn't much room for golf clubs and stuff like that unless you put it in the passenger seat.

BUT, it does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds and does the quarter in 10.75 seconds at almost 130 mph stock.

Reliability isn't as high with the Turbo S as the F in my experience. My IS-F is 6 1/2 years old with 51K miles and no problems. My Turbo S blew a front diff at 17K miles.

I actually like the IS-F's transmission. All it needs is a sports + mode where it keeps it in the lowest gear possible for track purposes and where it shifts as hard as Manual mode right up to redline - would be nice for drag racing.
hey toothdoc, just curious what you meant here about keepign it lowest gear possible? why not just have it in manual instead of a sports+mode? just so you woudlnt' have to fool with shifting i guess?
Old 09-03-14, 07:12 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats OP. You are blessed to be able to keep both the F and P-car. My ideal garage would be similar to yours, with the F as a DD and a supercar as a weekend/fair weather car!

Quick Reply: 4yr. Evaluation of ISF with Porsche Turbo S as Benchmark