Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 11:33 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hapasaiyan
For the car I mentioned above:

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...7780/overview/

The dealership would not budge off their price. The car was a corporate fleet car with NO service documents. Granted, it's pre-owned and in pretty nice condition, but no service history. It was bought at auction, so they did not pay anywhere near what they are selling it for. This is the midwest, and these cars are not big sellers up here- this one has been on their lot for over 3 months now. If it had awd, it would be much more popular in this area, I'm sure. Regardless, I drove an hour to get to this dealership, and I went on the last day of the month. I told them I was very interested in the car, but I didn't need the car right now- I would only buy if I had a price I was satisfied with. I offered 46.5k and they balked. The sales manager said they just recently lowered the price 3k (gee, I wonder why), and that they couldn't come down on their price and "sell it as a loss." They said someone a few weeks prior offered 47k, so it's not like my offer was something crazy. So I said thanks and got up and left.

On the way out, the saleswoman was trying to explain to me how car purchases, especially Lexus purchases are not so much about "needs" as much as "wants." I wonder how many people they get with that line.

I won't even get into how insulted I was with their appraisal process for my current car.

So a couple days later, on my way back from transferring the CarMax car, I get a call from the saleswoman asking me if I have given any more thought on the price of the car. I said what they were asking is more than I want to pay. She said, "Ok thanks," and that was that.

Maybe in a few months they will wish they accepted my offer. haha. Either way, it works out for me. I will end up getting an older car with more miles for less money, but I have already shoved the difference away in IRAs and have some left over for tires.
Haha... I am in the same situation. The 2008 that was going for $34,000 with 40k miles is now $36,000. They said that will sell for $34,000 and not a dime less...wtf. They also said that maybe I should look into a car I can afford .
Old 09-05-14, 11:37 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
^^^^ they gave you 37k and know your car for sale in lexus of riverside for 47 thousand almost 48.
Hey at least it ended up back where I got it from originally in Riverside that's hilarious.

Yea I mean dealerships have the over head and the added cost. I sold it knowing if I held out longer I could get closer to 40K but I just wanted it gone was sitting in my driveway for almost 4 months doing nothing but getting dirty.

If they get anything close to $47K that would be crazy but at the end of a day its a business. I own a business and know how it works so hopefully they make $$ off of me
Old 09-05-14, 12:08 PM
hapasaiyan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juanmedina
Haha... I am in the same situation. The 2008 that was going for $34,000 with 40k miles is now $36,000. They said that will sell for $34,000 and not a dime less...wtf. They also said that maybe I should look into a car I can afford .

I would not give that place a dime. Seriously. Wait and find something from somewhere else.
Old 09-05-14, 01:46 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Honestly, Juanmedina, I would pass on the ISF. You will likely be highly disappointed knowing what you are coming from. Unless you are just looking for something slightly "quick" and reliable after all you have been through on the Suby platform. lol For someone who likes to mod, as I do, I find this platform pretty frustrating.

I bought mine a few months back, and it barely gets driven. My wife will drive it on nice days here and there, and if it wasn't for her liking it I would just sell it.

The car is just not engaging enough for me, which makes it kind of boring after the initial "new toy" factor wears off. For 10k more you can get into a nice 996tt.

Or just buy mine. It is mint.

Last edited by Cronic; 09-05-14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 03:26 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cronic
Unless you are just looking for something slightly "quick" and reliable after all you have been through on the Suby platform. lol For someone who likes to mod, as I do, I find this platform pretty frustrating.
I think this states perfectly why i love the ISF so much, i am not looking to mod and very satisfied with it how it is.
Old 09-05-14, 03:34 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by speeddem0n
I think this states perfectly why i love the ISF so much, i am not looking to mod and very satisfied with it how it is.
Yea, then you chose the right car.

I thought I would be able to deal with being able to do I/H/E and being fairly content, but it isn't the case. I think the level of refinement further compounds the problem. The car just FEELS slow to me.

Last edited by Cronic; 09-05-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 04:15 PM
RMA
Driver

Here is a nice 2008 (1 owner too).
http://www.porscheplanotexas.com/use...f3c473dcc8.htm
Old 09-05-14, 04:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

The car just FEELS slow to me.
Doesn't FEEL slow to me You DO realize it's faster than 99% of the cars on the road today

Lou
Old 09-05-14, 05:38 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, then you chose the right car.

I thought I would be able to deal with being able to do I/H/E and being fairly content, but it isn't the case. I think the level of refinement further compounds the problem. The car just FEELS slow to me.
Definitely not slow. Ive done a lot of modding in the past and im done with that lol
But if thats what slow is ill take it, and the peace of mind and reliability is the cherry on top.
Old 09-05-14, 06:05 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Doesn't FEEL slow to me You DO realize it's faster than 99% of the cars on the road today

Lou
Did I say it felt slow to you? lol Some of you guys can't seem to comprehend that I said it FEELS slow TO ME. I don't care what it feels like to you. lol It is subjective.

And it might be faster than 99% of the cars on the road, but it is slower than 90+% of the cars I have owned, so again, that factors in how it feels TO ME.

I won't dispute that much of it, is because my perspective is skewed, and what I am looking for in a sports car is probably not what most Lexus owners are looking for. I am not even disputing the fact that maybe my expectations are unreasonable. I get it. I am just giving him my POV because he is stepping out of a similar place I am, having owned cars that trap 130+, and with much less refinement, so they feel much faster and more enjoyable(to me).

I won't say I totally dislike the car, but it's just quick enough to leave me wanting more, but there is no more to be had.

Since you are the dyno guy, and like seeing dyno-plots, here is my last car, consider it was roughly 1000lb lighter than the ISF. It made more tq off idle, than the ISF did period. And frankly it was on it's way to seeing a lot more power, had someone not made me an irrefutable offer.

Green lines are ISF..

If I wanted to have a decently quick DD, I could haul a kid or two around in, had to have clients in, etc then the ISF would be a great choice, but for me, it doesn't quite fit the bill.

Last edited by Cronic; 09-05-14 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 06:26 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

^ agree "quickness" is subjective to whom is driving the car. I thought the F was pretty fast could keep up with most cars etc. But then I got a new GTR, pretty much has ruined any other driving experience lol made the F feel like a slow accord.

If I never had a GTR then I would probably say the F is decently fast but now I realize what fast is

I too got frustrated with the lack of aftermarket support and tuneability so that is why I switched it up too.

I think the ISF is a great reliable nice looking car just not a great car for modding
Old 09-05-14, 06:32 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Murph145
^ agree "quickness" is subjective to whom is driving the car. I thought the F was pretty fast could keep up with most cars etc. But then I got a new GTR, pretty much has ruined any other driving experience lol made the F feel like a slow accord.

If I never had a GTR then I would probably say the F is decently fast but now I realize what fast is

I too got frustrated with the lack of aftermarket support and tuneability so that is why I switched it up too.

I think the ISF is a great reliable nice looking car just not a great car for modding
Bingo. I bet when you drove the F again after owning the gtr(especially modded) it felt way different than you remembered it. It probably didn't even feel like the same car you remembered, and you likely said to yourself "am I pushing the pedal all the way down? Is this thing broken?" lol
Old 09-05-14, 07:07 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Bingo. I bet when you drove the F again after owning the gtr(especially modded) it felt way different than you remembered it. It probably didn't even feel like the same car you remembered, and you likely said to yourself "am I pushing the pedal all the way down? Is this thing broken?" lol
lol I actually did think something was wrong with it!! that is hilarious. I thought man something is just not right this thing is not going anywhere but realized it was just because the GTR was that much faster.
Old 09-05-14, 07:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Did I say it felt slow to you? lol Some of you guys can't seem to comprehend that I said it FEELS slow TO ME. I don't care what it feels like to you. lol It is subjective.
Yep, it is. And if I were driving a 343 WHP ISF, that would probably feel slow to me too Mine puts out 50 more WHP than that, not what your other car does, and yes it weighs more, but I guess it's my cup of tea. At this time in my life, I'm 75, I'm very happy with this car.

Lou
Old 09-05-14, 07:39 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Yep, it is. And if I were driving a 343 WHP ISF, that would probably feel slow to me too Mine puts out 50 more WHP than that, not what your other car does, and yes it weighs more, but I guess it's my cup of tea. At this time in my life, I'm 75, I'm very happy with this car.

Lou
Oh wait that was actually a stock ISF Run_File..lol

My car made 370whp in the 105 degree heat with no cool down, but honestly it doesn't look much different, it gets trounced everywhere. That super wide powerband makes for an extremely fun streetcar.

When I drive the ISF around, on the street it is probably 390-400whp like every other I/H/E car, and it feels slow. Just is what it is.

Last edited by Cronic; 09-05-14 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: how much would you pay for this IS-F