IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

alignment experts

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 10:36 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default alignment experts

hey all, was wondering if anyone could tell me if its wierd to have the camber settings .6 degrees off from each other as seen in the attachment below.

car tracks straight but feels like the steering wheel isn't well aligned, so i'm wondering if its because of this or because the zero point calibration (L-SB-0015-08) needs to be done (and i'm sure it wasn't, but didn't know about it til after the fact)

but should this camber difference affect steering in a noticeable way?

thanks,
b
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
alignment 2.pdf (1.10 MB, 175 views)
Old 08-28-14, 01:17 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the IS-F does not have adjustable camber, so the only way to even that out is to shift the front sub-frame slightly to even out the camber. this is assuming your suspension components are all good and not bent from running into or curb or something.
from what i remember, the car will pull slight to the side w/ the more positive camber, so in your case a slight right pull.

i also had the uneven camber, and had an indy lexus shop slightly shift the subframe to even things out.
what happened to the caster measurements? did the shop not take those? out of spec caster can also cause some pulling.
Old 08-28-14, 01:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Also, it is critically important they set the tire pressure before doing anything. If the pressures are not correct, everything will look weird.
Old 08-28-14, 02:32 PM
scamsel
Advanced

thansk guys, follow up question for caveman..............is a good alignment shop able to shift the subframe, or is that like considered body work?

so like they would shift the subframe while its on the alignment machine? then what would i expect those measurements to be closer to when done? both closer to -1 or both -1.6? or impossible to predict?

and about the no camber adjustment? but castor can be adjusted right? and then i guess toe? i just want to sound like i know what i'm talking about when i bring it back, and they don't try to bs me.

but yeah stupid dealership didnt' put caster measurements for some reason, i will go back and have them redo. i was only getting it done there because someone else was paying for it, long story. but i guess i'll take it back and have them redo it, ha for the 3rd time.
Old 08-28-14, 07:34 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scamsel
thansk guys, follow up question for caveman..............is a good alignment shop able to shift the subframe, or is that like considered body work?

so like they would shift the subframe while its on the alignment machine? then what would i expect those measurements to be closer to when done? both closer to -1 or both -1.6? or impossible to predict?

and about the no camber adjustment? but castor can be adjusted right? and then i guess toe? i just want to sound like i know what i'm talking about when i bring it back, and they don't try to bs me.

but yeah stupid dealership didnt' put caster measurements for some reason, i will go back and have them redo. i was only getting it done there because someone else was paying for it, long story. but i guess i'll take it back and have them redo it, ha for the 3rd time.
Yes id like to know as well how to shift it...
Old 08-29-14, 07:52 AM
caveman
Driver

any alignment shop with a competent tech should be able to do the subframe adjustment. read the post below. sounds like 4 or so bolts and some elbow grease. the point is to move enough so that camber is even on both sides. i had mine aligned at an indy shop specializing in lexus, so the tech was familiar how to do the shift.

if the caster/cross caster is still way off after subframe adjustment, then the only way to address that is changing out the castor block(s). according to what i read on the forums, lexus has 3 different caster blocks that available to correct this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...you-there.html

my right caster was actually still slightly off spec after the subframe shift, but i decided to just leave it for now as it doesnt affect tire wear and the majority of the "pull" is now gone.

Last edited by caveman; 08-29-14 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 09:10 AM
scamsel
Advanced

thanks caveman. so based on my numbers would that mean the subbframe would need to be moved to the right slightly, towards the passenger side? and would that need to be done while on the alignment machine or is there a way to know how much is should be shifted based on the cross camber difference?

also do any subframe adjustments affect caster and cross caster too?

thanks so much for your help.
Old 08-29-14, 10:15 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Any subframe movement affect all elements of your alignment. The goal is to balance the camber since it is the easiest thing to do. If you have a real perfectionist and a lot of time, you can balance both camber and caster, but it isn't something most shops will want to do (unless you're happy spending a couple hundred bucks an hour for the alignment rack time.) It could easily take an entire hour, maybe more if there needs to be any modification to the holes in the subframe.
Old 09-02-14, 07:44 AM
caveman
Driver

thanks caveman. so based on my numbers would that mean the subbframe would need to be moved to the right slightly, towards the passenger side? and would that need to be done while on the alignment machine or is there a way to know how much is should be shifted based on the cross camber difference?
sorry i didn't see this earlier. the alignment should be able to do all adjustments while the is on the alignment rack/lift. i'm actually not certain whether the shift is to the right or left for your situation, i just left that for the tech to figure out on my car .
Old 09-02-14, 07:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The subframe needs to move toward the side with less camber.
Old 09-02-14, 07:43 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The subframe needs to move toward the side with less camber.
cool thats what i thought, makes sense.....

thanks a lot for the help gents. just curious, is there any like service bulletin that states that the front subframe can be adjusted to even out camber? i have a feeling the dealership is gonna try to BS me and say it can't be done or something. so annoying if i have to explain to these knuckleheads how to do their job, especially when i dont' personally have first hand experience doing it myself, ha.

Last edited by scamsel; 09-02-14 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 08:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, you are out of luck there. It should be obvious to a blind man, but unfortunately, dealerships are risk averse because their attorneys make them afraid to do things outside the bounds of Toyota's documentation.

Some are truly better than others, but by and large, don't expect much thinking outside the box at a dealership.
Old 09-02-14, 09:00 PM
scamsel
Advanced

No, you are out of luck there. It should be obvious to a blind man, but unfortunately, dealerships are risk averse because their attorneys make them afraid to do things outside the bounds of Toyota's documentation.

Some are truly better than others, but by and large, don't expect much thinking outside the box at a dealership.
yeah, dang. oh well, if i can't get it sorted there i'm sure gran turismo would be knowledgeable about such adjustments yeah?
Old 09-02-14, 09:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I do all my alignments at Gran Turismo. Worth every penny.
Old 09-03-14, 12:06 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I do all my alignments at Gran Turismo. Worth every penny.
Does Gran Turismo have the tools/electronics to reset the yaw sensor since the new service bulletin states this should be done? Would other "good" alignment shops have this capability?

Quick Reply: alignment experts