IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE + JoeZ Exhaust Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 08:33 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts
Default PPE + JoeZ Exhaust Leak Help

We've been running the PPE headers with JoeZ exhaust for a while now and we keep battling exhaust leaks pretty much since the beginning. Its something specific to how things are lining up for us, so I don't want to turn this into a "this header brand or exhaust brand is better than the other since it fits better" discussion. I appreciate any guidance on fixing this that anyone can provide...

Attempt #1
It involved PPE supplied gaskets + new OEM gaskets to double up. PPE gasket installed on the header groove and OEM one on the JoeZ side. This is a result after a few weeks.

Attempt #2
We wrote it off as maybe not needing both assuming something wasn't lining up right with the OEM gasket doubled up. Got a new PPE set of gaskets and did an install with just that. No luck and the leak remained.

Attempt #3
After we played with it more, we saw that the angle of the header on the passenger side wasn't perfectly lining up with the exhaust. Both were coming at each other from an angle, so when tightened up and under load or movement, I could see it pulling and creating unnecessary pressure. We took the car to the guy who does all our exhaust work for the shop and he changed the angle of one of the JoeZ pipes just slightly to make sure it came in straight at the header. He installed a regular flat gasket instead of the PPE or OEM donut type, similar to this

Result = still have a bad leak. Now, it could be due to the gasket and no longer because of misalignment. So I'm about to try...

Planned Attempt #4
Adjusted/corrected angle of header + exhaust on passenger side. Is the consensus to use the PPE gasket (below) on the header size doubled up with OEM gasket on the JoeZ side? Or just use the PPE gasket? Or double up on PPE gaskets? I've searched obviously and see all sorts of ideas.

This has been a long and frustrating process for me. I'm at a point where I hate the sound of the car and stay off throttle due to the crappy leak and popping all over the place. I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Something is definitely off with our setup...
Old 08-18-14, 08:52 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus dealer installed my PPE headers with my Joe Z exhaust and said headers fit like they were factory and only used the gaskets that came with the headers. This was 6 weeks ago and so far everything is perfect. I would call Paul at PPE and have him troubleshoot ur problem if u haven't already. He is spot on with customer service
Old 08-19-14, 09:45 AM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I would not recommend using the factory gaskets at all. They are smaller than the ones we provide and can cause excessive heat due to friction through the smaller hole and shortened gasket life.
If you are going to double up on gaskets, use our larger 60mm gaskets and put a little copper colored silicone gasket sealer round them.

Another option would be to go to an exhaust shop and have them adjust the flange angle on the exhaust so it fits better, and then use just one gasket.
Old 08-19-14, 10:22 AM
madastep
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, i have this combo and abuse my car, it's been this combo for 2 years and no leaks, so keep trying and keep in touch with the companies
Old 08-19-14, 05:48 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

I had PPE do my install and I am also running a Joe Z exhaust, no leaks, its only been about 1k miles. Keep us posted on your fix. I know when my brother had sikky headers he had an issue with his first set of gaskets and he bought some expensive ones (not sure what brand or what it was, but I believe they were copper) and never had an issue again.
Old 08-19-14, 05:57 PM
hyboost
Driver

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

PPEHeaders - yeah, we noticed that the OEM one is smaller but I keep reading all the forum recommendations about doubling up with PPE + OEM gaskets. Didn't make sense to us but we tried anyway, resulting in Attempt #1 picture. We already got the flange angle adjusted on the JoeZ, so we will try a new PPE gasket and double up if needed. Will report on results.
Old 08-22-14, 04:48 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

how do you know you're getting a leak? is it that obvious?

I'm just asking because I will installing my Joe-z into my car which has PPE Headers later this year.
Old 08-22-14, 09:11 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Sometimes obvious (noise), sometimes not so much. After the install at any good exhaust shop, the installer will drop the car and the restart it. He will then raise the car back up, and feel around all the seams for leaks with his bare hand. He will do this more than once.

Lou
Old 08-22-14, 09:56 AM
hyboost
Driver

What Lou said is correct. The only thing to add is that in some of our experiments, it appeared to seal correctly at first when we checked it and in a few weeks it got progressively worse, resulting in the first pic for example. So you have to keep checking.

And as far as sound, by now, I can tell as it gets worse. Car starts to be more raspy under full throttle, slightly changed pitch, and starts popping like crazy under deceleration at lower RPM. The second we put a new gasket in, all that would go away, car would sound sound great for a short period of time, and then sound like crap again as the leak develops.

Our theory is that the angle of the flange misalignment was pulling and stressing it, creating the issue over time under load. Angle corrected so we will see with a single or double new PPE gaskets.
Old 08-22-14, 02:37 PM
hayleybean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Lexus dealer installed my PPE headers with my Joe Z exhaust and said headers fit like they were factory and only used the gaskets that came with the headers. This was 6 weeks ago and so far everything is perfect. I would call Paul at PPE and have him troubleshoot ur problem if u haven't already. He is spot on with customer service
What Lexus dealer did you have do the install?

Bryan
Old 08-22-14, 03:43 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bryan I had Lexus of Tampa do my install. $650 and free loaner car for the 2 days they kept my car.
Old 08-22-14, 08:45 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hyboost
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

PPEHeaders - yeah, we noticed that the OEM one is smaller but I keep reading all the forum recommendations about doubling up with PPE + OEM gaskets. Didn't make sense to us but we tried anyway, resulting in Attempt #1 picture. We already got the flange angle adjusted on the JoeZ, so we will try a new PPE gasket and double up if needed. Will report on results.
Honestly, I don't want to say too much...

But there should have been ZERO reason to change or modify how our flanges were designed.

They are angled perfectly to match the OEM specs / layout.

Somtimes you need to disconnect the X-pipe from the mid pipes to give you better mobility to line things up at the front..

Hoping you find a solution to the leak soon..!! :)

Joe Z

Also, here is the part number for the OEM crush gaskets if you need!!
Attached Thumbnails PPE + JoeZ Exhaust Leak Help-image.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-22-14 at 08:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
n9tkd9 (12-08-19), TurboGti (07-08-19)
Old 08-22-14, 09:28 PM
hyboost
Driver

Joe, the exhaust was on another isf before and it fit perfectly without an issue there. But there is something going on specifically with our car so at this point we're doing what we can to get it right.

As I stated in my first post, this isn't meant to bash fitment of one product or another. They are all great parts that work perfectly on many other isf's. My goal here was to isolate issues or solutions and to get the real answer on the recommended gasket situation (single, double, etc).

I will report back on results. Thanks guys.
Old 08-23-14, 02:22 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

don't mean to thread jack but Joe would you recommend installing the OEM crush gaskets between the exhaust flange and PPE Header flange?
Old 08-23-14, 07:00 AM
hayleybean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Hey Bryan I had Lexus of Tampa do my install. $650 and free loaner car for the 2 days they kept my car.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: PPE + JoeZ Exhaust Leak Help