IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: Would you consider trading your ISF for high horsepower American Muscle?
Yes
17.92%
No
60.38%
Maybe
19.81%
Don't Know
1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Have you considered trading the ISF for American muscle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 11:21 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFF
Yes, his review is nice, but it would be interesting to see how the drivetrain of the auto 8 holds up to 707HP.

I am sure it was developed with that in mind. American cars are not the pieces of crap they used to be, plus they all come with warranties. As with any car if all you do is mash the pedal and smash gears you will eventually damage it. The ISF is a fun car but the hell cat, GT500 are just a whole different level as said "apples and oranges"
Old 08-15-14, 11:29 AM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
then might as well compare it to a porshe gt3 if its apples to oranges. Only real car worthy of a top end upgrade IMO.

lol you should watch jay lenos garage on you tube and see him compare and look at the new hell cat. It is no joke and has a nice updated interior. The ISF stock is slow and heavy its a fun daily car but its interior isnt really anything special IMO. They are nice cars but getting dated.
Oh, come on. The ISF isn't as quick as the new generation of launch-controlled sports sedans but magazine tested 0-60 @ 4.2 seconds, 1/4 mile @ 12.6 seconds and 170mph top speed will never be "slow."
Old 08-15-14, 11:46 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

The 8 speed ZF auto in the Hellcat will dominate the 8 speed Aisin trans in the Lexus models. The ZF transmission(s) are pretty much bulletproof and able to handle loads of torque, hence it goes into turbo'ed cars. If it can handle the twin turbo v12 torque in a 6000lb+ Rolls Royce, the Hellcat Charger/challenger will be no problem.

The Aisin 8 speed trans is in need of a serious update. Only to find that it's going into the RCF is a disappointment.

And no, I'm not bashing the ISF trans. But after driving cars with the new ZF 8 speed auto trans (not DCT), the ISF trans feels old in downshift speed and overall smoothness on upshifts.

Yes, his review is nice, but it would be interesting to see how the drivetrain of the auto 8 holds up to 707HP.
Old 08-15-14, 12:45 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
The 8 speed ZF auto in the Hellcat will dominate the 8 speed Aisin trans in the Lexus models. The ZF transmission(s) are pretty much bulletproof and able to handle loads of torque, hence it goes into turbo'ed cars. If it can handle the twin turbo v12 torque in a 6000lb+ Rolls Royce, the Hellcat Charger/challenger will be no problem.

The Aisin 8 speed trans is in need of a serious update. Only to find that it's going into the RCF is a disappointment.

And no, I'm not bashing the ISF trans. But after driving cars with the new ZF 8 speed auto trans (not DCT), the ISF trans feels old in downshift speed and overall smoothness on upshifts.
Good data, agreed. But, it the ISF was one of the first launched with such tranny, I could be wrong, but since the release of mine in 08, im sure there has been updates as other car manufacturers have adopted and adapted.
Old 08-15-14, 12:51 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So, I just caught you said they are using a different, I know they said redisigned, but it will be the ZF in the RCF?
Old 08-15-14, 01:58 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LionelHutz
Oh, come on. The ISF isn't as quick as the new generation of launch-controlled sports sedans but magazine tested 0-60 @ 4.2 seconds, 1/4 mile @ 12.6 seconds and 170mph top speed will never be "slow."
I dont even need to launch control the gtr to know how much faster it is lol. I have the ISF still and when I get into it and drive it just seems like a slouch. I know I know the ISF is a good overall reliable and decently quick car but the power that the new american muscle cars are putting down are just in a whole different level than the F.

And of course the new zo6 will be crazy but you have to remember a used isf $35-$45K a new zo6 will be over $100K
Old 08-15-14, 02:07 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I like cars, so naturally I'm always looking at what is out there. The new Charger Hellcat looks impressive. But then logic brings me back in, and I realize that having a big, clunky, high horsepower American muscle car is not something I'd enjoy more than my ISF. The only car that comes remotely close is the C7 Z06. But in reality, if I were to get something faster than the ISF, I'd go smaller, and get a Porsche.
Old 08-15-14, 04:00 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Toyota doesn't use ZF transmissions. RCF has the same Aisin 8 speed trans from the ISF, just revised a little.

So, I just caught you said they are using a different, I know they said redisigned, but it will be the ZF in the RCF?
Old 08-15-14, 04:56 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
The 8 speed ZF auto in the Hellcat 8HP90

ill dominate the 8 ellcatpeed Aisin trans in the Lexus models. The ZF transmission(s) are pretty much bulletproof and able to handle loads of torque, hence it goes into turbo'ed cars. If it can handle the twin turbo v12 torque in a 6000lb+ Rolls Royce, the Hellcat Charger/challenger will be no problem.

ZF makes transmissions with different torque handling. The ZF8hp90 transmission in the hellcat was chosen because of its torque handling but this doesn't mean it's better than the Aisin transmission.

If the hellcat made less torque, a lower torque handling ZF would have been chosen. Both transmissions are built differently and both have advantages and disadvantages. For example because of the way the ZF is built, it can skip more gears when you down shift, but it's slower in its up shifts. The Aisin on the other hand, can only skip a couple of gears on the down shift, but it's faster up shifting. I don't see why Lexus would need to make a transmission that handles so much torque when the RCF produces a lot less. Now if future Lexus cars produce a lot more torque, then Aisin can create different versions with more torque handling just like ZF does.

Last edited by jat0223; 08-15-14 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-15-14, 08:05 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
I'd rock a Chevy SS if I were to go cheaper. It surely is far more easy to mod.

This, especially now that they've announced that it'll have an optional manual transmission.

I guess I should add, I've owned a C5 vette, 1st gen CTS-V, and a Z28 Camaro. Ironically, all had basically the same motor, but the interiors were all garbage compared to the CTS-V.

Every once in a while I miss the extra torque down low, but then I remind myself that I don't have to deal with all the little annoyances that came with GM ownership.
Old 08-16-14, 06:19 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Only car worth for me to change the f is a gtr or turbo awd porsche
Old 08-16-14, 09:48 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I'm totally considering it just for a change of pace. I agree that a poor interior is a showstopper (It stopped me from considering the e92 in 08), but seems as though manufacturers have improved greatly since then, even for American cars, and especially this next gen of Dodge. So I'm willing to give a chance and see it in person. I'm also on the same boat that the F is not my DD so I can compromise a bit on reliability, since I'm not putting as many miles on it.

One other thing to consider though is resale. I think the F (Lexus) in general has REALLY good resale value, but domestics have been traditionally poor in that area. Does that also apply to the top-end muscle cars i.e. ZL1, Z06, GT500, Hellcat?
Old 08-16-14, 10:42 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbb
I like cars, so naturally I'm always looking at what is out there. The new Charger Hellcat looks impressive. But then logic brings me back in, and I realize that having a big, clunky, high horsepower American muscle car is not something I'd enjoy more than my ISF. The only car that comes remotely close is the C7 Z06. But in reality, if I were to get something faster than the ISF, I'd go smaller, and get a Porsche.
^this. GT3

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-17-14 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-16-14, 03:07 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

new GT3 is upwards of $180K when fully loaded so yes GT3 would be ultimate driving machine.

As far as the F holding its value I don't see that being so true lately with the new gens out. I have an 11 F that I can't even get bites on at $39K!!
Old 08-16-14, 03:52 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

^^ If I didn't buy my 2010 last year, I would buy yours now. Sorry!

Seriously, it took the previous owner of mine a long time to sell his, hopefully somebody picks up yours soon as it seems like a great deal.

Quick Reply: Have you considered trading the ISF for American muscle?