IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Headers?+Joe z Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-14, 11:32 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll sound great and won't be raspy. The main reason for adding HFCs, other than being somewhat environmentally responsible or trying to pass inspection and emissions testing, is to mitigate possible exhaust fuel odor.
Old 08-25-14, 06:24 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

No cats! The fuel odor isn't an issue unless you plan on warming up your car in the garage in the winter or something. I only notice it if I keep the car in the garage while its on, or if I stand behind it while its running for some reason (which I almost never do). If your state doesn't have strict emissions, you will love the sound and the smell really shouldn't be too noticeable
Old 08-26-14, 01:15 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Thanks Redline, guess I haven't hit rev limiter yet, always learning something here.
ugottoget ondatman!
Old 08-26-14, 02:12 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the exact opposite dilemma,

I have ppe headers installed with oem exhaust. I'm worried it'll sound significantly louder with joez exhaust.

Which way around do u think adds more noise? Exhaust then headers or headers then exhaust?
Old 08-26-14, 03:24 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

^I think going headers then exhaust will be a more major jump in sound than if you had the exhaust and were adding headers.

Before adding the JoeZ exhaust I had PPE headers with oem exhaust, which as you probably know is just a touch louder than stock, but seriously, I wasn't sure if wanted it to be as loud as it is immediately after installing. Now I love it. It's not loud at all when cruising, so if your typical commute and daily driving isn't through constant stop-go traffic, or a hilly area, it pretty much be loud when you intend for it to be.
Old 08-26-14, 11:55 PM
Defratos
Racer

^ Thanks for the reply, I was hoping someone in the same situation as me would be able to give me some advice.

My only worry is when I start the car in the morning, its parked in a very confined driveway so I don't want to give my kids, wife and neighbors hell every morning when I start the car.

I guess in the beginning it'll be loud until it breaks in a little..

Last edited by Defratos; 08-27-14 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-27-14, 07:17 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

That is a reasonable concern. It's loud on a cold start and I can see situations where somebody may get irritated.

You have the exhaust, but just haven't installed it, right? Maybe give it a try while apologizing to your family and neighbors claiming it'll be loud while its "breaking in". That way hopefully nobody will complain and everyone can adapt to their new life.

The sound may change a bit after it has been installed for a while, but cold starts will continue to be loud.
Old 08-27-14, 07:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

look into PPE dual mode exhaust which has an electronic valve that restricts the exhaust to make it silent when you want and violent when you want
Old 08-27-14, 12:53 PM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

I have PPE headers JoeZ exhaust. It was loud at first but after several months the sound dialed down during normal driving, and only jacks up when Im WOT. It has a sporty low sound in the exhaust without a bad drone.
Old 08-27-14, 11:51 PM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the feedback guys, and yes that's what I'm hoping will happen, after a few weeks it breaks in and starts to sound more reasonable.
Old 08-28-14, 07:49 AM
madastep
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
look into PPE dual mode exhaust which has an electronic valve that restricts the exhaust to make it silent when you want and violent when you want
This

If your that concerned or you have to share the car with a wife who doesn't like that stuff, get a vavle exhaust that with the flip of a switch you can turn it back to the OEM exhaust sound

Last edited by madastep; 08-28-14 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 08:14 AM
Defratos
Racer

Yeah I would have gone that route but I have already bought the JoeZ, it's been with me from the 1st month of owning the car , and the PPE Exhaust doesn't seem to produce as much power as the JoeZ and Borla exhausts.
Old 08-29-14, 09:11 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

^^^^Actually it does. I'm down less than 7HP from a PPE/JoeZ system because I have hi-flow catalytic converters in my PPE system. The restriction from the cats doesn't show up until about 5.5K RPM. And the dig is a little better at the bottom end with the cat system.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Headers?+Joe z Exhaust.-ppes-exhaust-vs-joez.jpg  
Old 08-29-14, 12:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

or just give your wife some earplugs
Old 08-29-14, 01:33 PM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^Actually it does. I'm down less than 7HP from a PPE/JoeZ system because I have hi-flow catalytic converters in my PPE system. The restriction from the cats doesn't show up until about 5.5K RPM. And the dig is a little better at the bottom end with the cat system.

Lou
Oh nice first time I see that dunno with ppe headers and exhaust.

I remember seeing a dyno showing around 380whp.

Nice numbers though

Quick Reply: Headers?+Joe z Exhaust.