IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rolling Road Results - Need advice! :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 08:01 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuno1
My concern is whether it is fly wheel or at the wheels. Don't see how it could be at the wheels given others figures.
Rolling dyno's do not represent fly wheel numbers EVER, the power numbers generated are at the wheels as they are based off of intertia or resistance.

You would have to assume a drivetrain loss in order to get a representative flywheel estimate.

380.4hp for a nearly stock run is impressive; but as mentioned before means absolutely nothing. I'd be more pissed if I was car number 3, and put up lower numbers than car number 2.
Old 08-11-14, 08:08 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuno1
My concern is whether it is fly wheel or at the wheels. Don't see how it could be at the wheels given others figures.
Unless they removed the engine from your car, it's at the wheels. Need to do the math to back into the engine HP.
Old 08-11-14, 08:11 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Definitely generous figures then as there is no way a stock mazdaspeed 3 is 265 hp at the wheels...
Old 08-11-14, 08:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Mazdaspeed is pretty easy to tune. Wouldn't be surprised if it was tweaked and either the owner wasn't saying or done before he bought it.
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f338/
Old 08-11-14, 09:16 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Clio 172 and type r were coming out on or over manufacturer figures as well and bit stock.

Not convinced technician knew what he was doing.
Old 08-11-14, 11:55 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

So the plot thickens!

Had an email back from AMD (the dyno guys) saying the figures are at the flywheel.

He also confirmed the dyno itself is a Dimsport Dyno Race Rolling road.

That supports Stu saying the other cars were spot on power wise, but means our cars were down on power.

The tuner is still suggesting its due to the autoboxes.

Hopefully the other dyno will give us a better idea.
Old 08-11-14, 12:38 PM
Stuno1
Driver

Honestly think they are just bad at doing our cars.
Old 08-11-14, 12:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by PDP180180
So the plot thickens!

Had an email back from AMD (the dyno guys) saying the figures are at the flywheel. .
I find that hard to believe

Lou
Old 08-11-14, 12:59 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowrideraz

Lou

That's what they said Lou.

Think it's a bit odd myself, but it's too high for at the wheels as well.

Where abouts are you in Arizona dude? Only I'm doing a flying visit to Phoenix next Monday on business.
Old 08-11-14, 01:21 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PDP180180
One thing to consider is we run much better quality fuel over here in the UK.

Our cars are using 99 RON super unleaded. I think most of you guys are on 95 RON?
y.
As far as I know, premium here is mostly 98 RON (93 AKI in US). I think California is at 95 (91 AKI).
Old 08-11-14, 01:27 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sean
As far as I know, premium here is mostly 98 RON (93 AKI in US). I think California is at 95 (91 AKI).
I stand corrected then Sean.

Knew I'd seen 95 on the V Power nozzle in LA!
Old 08-11-14, 02:39 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz

Lou

Well then the company is assuming a drivetrain loss and converting the figures automatically... which is retarded for lack of better explanation

I agree with Lou
Old 08-11-14, 04:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Unless they removed the engine from your car, it's at the wheels. Need to do the math to back into the engine HP.
Not only this, but the math is fuzzy at best. It's not a straight percentage, and again, there are so many variables outside the operator's control it's not even funny.

For example, Oleg Kozenutsov tested his bone stock Supra at Supras Invade Los Vegas in 1999. BONE STOCK down to the air filter. He put 340 hp to the wheels if you believe Dynojet. No one ever put even 300 to the wheels with a bone stock Supra. People accused him of lying, cheating, stealing, making a deal with the devil and all sorts of awful things.

In 2000 Bryce Dana put down 2 less horsepower than the full race RPS Supra on "pump gas" and everyone was amazed at Bryce's car. Guess what? I was at the gas station with Bryce. Yup the gas came from the pump, but it sure wasn't the 91 octane premium everyone thought it was.

So, if you really think dyno testing is "fair' and a good measure, dream on. The only thing it is good for it seeing a large power change after a modification. Heck, I can put a lighter set of wheels on a car and Dynojet says I'm making more power despite the fact nothing has changed in the entire power train but the rotational inertia. That's not making more power.

So when you can measure coolant temp, oil temp, fuel temp, air temp, exhaust temp, humidity, barometric pressure, AND CONTROL all these parameters, you might possibly get a fair representation of what your engine will do. If you can't, it's anybody's guess what your numbers will look like.
Old 08-11-14, 05:04 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I can put a lighter set of wheels on a car and Dynojet says I'm making more power despite the fact nothing has changed in the entire power train but the rotational inertia. That's not making more power.
That's the truth!! Here is a good article on lighter wheels and tires makes a different on whp reading.

Test:
Davenport Motorsports (www.davenportmotorsports.com) of Canada, wanted to see the dyno effects of running different wheels on cars. They took a factory 2012 Camaro SS and ran 3 dyno runs. They ran the first run with a set of aftermarket wheels, the 2nd run with a set of stock factory wheels and the 3rd run with a set of HRE P45S wheels, all in 20” sizes.

These results highlight the effects of rotational inertia on drive-train losses (the hp lost between the engine crank and the ground). Wheels and tires contribute to drive-train losses as energy is used to spin up the wheels (and decelerate the wheels under braking). From the dyno chart you can see the effect of replacing factory wheels with lighter HRE wheels and see the negative effects of installing heavier aftermarket wheels.

Results:
1. (Blue curve) Factory wheels: 20”x9.0” with Pirelli 275/40-20 tires weighing 68 lbs combined per rear wheel. – Max hp: 371 hp, Max Torque: 375 ftlbs - (Baseline)
2. (Red curve) Aftermarket wheels: 20”x9.0” with Pirelli 275/40-20 tires weighing 72 lbs combined per rear wheel – Max hp: 369 hp, Max Torque: 373 ftlbs - (A [-] loss of 2 hp and 2 ftlbs)
3. (Green curve) HRE wheels: 20”x11.0” with Nitto 315/35-20 tires weighing 60 lbs combined per rear wheel – Max hp: 380hp, Max Torque: 384 ftlbs - (A [+] gain of 8 hp and 9 ftlbs and that is running a 2” wider wheel/tire combo)

Conclusion:
The engine obviously still cranks out the same amount of hp and torque, the lighter HREs simply waste less of it before it gets to the ground. Also interesting to note is that the gains are not just peak gains, but gains across the entire rev range. If they had done a braking test, we would have seen similar results as the rotational inertia effects also have a significant effect on how much energy is used to stop the wheel/tire combo vs. stopping the car. We talk about these effects all the time and focus on designing lightweight wheels with low rotational inertia, but it isn’t every day that you get to see real hard data showing the true effects.
[/URL]
Attached Thumbnails Rolling Road Results - Need advice! :-(-camaross.jpg  

Last edited by MK4Sup_isF; 08-11-14 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 06:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Heck, I can put a lighter set of wheels on a car and Dynojet says I'm making more power despite the fact nothing has changed in the entire power train but the rotational inertia. That's not making more power.
It most certainly is!!! The clue here is WHP (Wheel Horsepower). The amount of power being put down on the pavement. With lighter rotational mass (wheels, tires, brakes and etc) you will be putting more of the engines power to the pavement because it's not being absorbed by the heavier wheels. Though the actual power of the engine is the same, more of that power is getting to the pavement, or the pavement HP measuring device, the Dynamometer. That would also be the case if we, say, lightened the driveshaft, less power train loss, again means more power to the wheels.

Lou

Quick Reply: Rolling Road Results - Need advice! :-(