IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

These are the truth! - Unlock that grip

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 12:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Your expectations are too high. The Bridgestones are very good tires. PSS are also very good tires. There isn't a night and day difference on the track. The IS-F is a heavy sedan. It's going to slide around a lot on the OEM tire sizes no matter what they are if they're street legal. As much as people here like to bash the RE050, it's a good track tire because it has good grip (until it gets too hot - but they ALL get too hot), and it's very predictable.

Tire Rack's testing, while very helpful, doesn't tell the whole story - you can throw a blanket over the times on any of the class leaders and the biggest difference is driver, not rubber.

I have PSS on my car. They're great tires, but they're not dramatically better than the RE050s made specifically for the F.

What you are experiencing is new tires vs. worn out tires. That's always a win.
I see what you are saying Lobux . My expectations are reasonable. I know its a max performance street tire. Its not going to have me killing Ferraris on the track. All I expect is hopefully a little more corner exit grip for the 2-3 times a year she hits the track. I think your description of it being due to the new tires is correct but add to that 10% more grip from the PSS and I hopefully will have a smile on my face in October when I hit the track . I was tempted by the RE11 in oem size but I wanted the reduced unsprung weight from the Michelins as well as to see what all of the amazing reviews were getting on about, and I figured since the car is a street car that sees the track rarely , I would basically buy the best damn all around street performance tire you can buy today. I guess Im going to work my way up. What amazed me after all the research I did was the sheer number of options we have that I personally wasnt that familiar with , like the RE11, Advan AD08,etc. We still have some wiggle room to add grip. I just went with the more durable tires for now because I am curious about the PSS, like many
Old 08-07-14, 02:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RE11s wont last long on the street
Old 08-07-14, 02:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RE11s wont last long on the street
Thats why I went with the PSS> In the end we are driving fast daily drivers. SO the tires should be a little more durable. To me its nuts driving around all year long ( 10-15k miles ) with tires on the car that are geared and designed more for the type of driving that you for about 50 miles of that 15k miles.

MICHELIN PSS STILL RULE !! Best compromise you can get......at least for how I drive my ISF.
Old 08-07-14, 05:37 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anybody know where PSS can be found at a good price? I've been scouring da intawebz and it looks like it'll be $1400 pretty much everywhere (285/25/20 and 245/30/20).

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-07-14, 06:56 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

discounttiredirect.com

tirerack.com
Old 08-07-14, 07:25 PM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Your expectations are too high. The Bridgestones are very good tires. PSS are also very good tires. There isn't a night and day difference on the track. The IS-F is a heavy sedan. It's going to slide around a lot on the OEM tire sizes no matter what they are if they're street legal. As much as people here like to bash the RE050, it's a good track tire because it has good grip (until it gets too hot - but they ALL get too hot), and it's very predictable.

Tire Rack's testing, while very helpful, doesn't tell the whole story - you can throw a blanket over the times on any of the class leaders and the biggest difference is driver, not rubber.

I have PSS on my car. They're great tires, but they're not dramatically better than the RE050s made specifically for the F.

What you are experiencing is new tires vs. worn out tires. That's always a win.
Lance I agree with you having spent a good amount of time on Slicks, R compound tires and street tires on the track and street including Michelin, Kuhmo, Yokohama, Ect.
I find the RE050's to be as good as it gets in a street tire that can do double duty on the track when asked.
Compared to the Michelins( not on the ISF but my former Supra) its a coin toss in my experience. I have not had the ISF long enough to try different tires on it yet but after 2 track days and a Saturday chasing 2 Ducati's in the Ga. Mountains I am impressed with the grip the car has on the stock size RE050's.

I will most likely try the Michelins when the RE's give up the ghost just for a comparison. But I am not expecting huge differences between the two.

Last edited by suprasupra; 08-07-14 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 07:55 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by "that boy"
discounttiredirect.com

tirerack.com
Much appreciated, but these both are $1400 or more for the tires...just was wondering if anybody knew of a sale/discount code/deal/etc.

Thank you!
Old 08-07-14, 08:36 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

^Sign up through Mr. Rebates or eBates. After you sign up on either one of those sites, use their links for TireBuyer.com/ Discount/America Tire, Tire Rack, etc. and you should be eligible for some rebates by utilizing a coupon and rewards site.

When I purchased mine, they were available at $1100 shipped. Couple that with the rebate from the site (6%) and the manufacturer's mail-in rebate, I received nearly $200 back, essentially putting these babies at an unheard of $911 for PSS
Old 08-07-14, 08:55 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Late or not all I am saying is the tire is the SHIZZNIT!
I got 285/25 in rear 245/30 front

Loving um...
Old 08-07-14, 09:08 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
^Sign up through Mr. Rebates or eBates. After you sign up on either one of those sites, use their links for TireBuyer.com/ Discount/America Tire, Tire Rack, etc. and you should be eligible for some rebates by utilizing a coupon and rewards site.

When I purchased mine, they were available at $1100 shipped. Couple that with the rebate from the site (6%) and the manufacturer's mail-in rebate, I received nearly $200 back, essentially putting these babies at an unheard of $911 for PSS
SWEET! Thanks
Old 08-07-14, 11:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

got my oem size PSS for $1187 out the door. I added the certificates ( since they replaced 3 of my Michelins on my LS over a year under the warranty and I dropped $2300 for a set of those bad boys in 22" 255/30/22 and 295/25/22).

I compared the discount tire to the dealership and the dealership was $394 more than discount tire
Old 08-07-14, 11:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Just wanted to add that even though the added grip is great to have, we should also focus on the fact that these tires reduce unsprung mass by 18 lbs ( compared to the Bridgestone RE050A). Reducing unsprung mass reduces inertia which has obvious benefits in keeping the tire on the road. With a reduction in unsprung mass we get more efficient handling, braking, and enhanced road feel. Race teams spend big money trying to reduce unsprung weight. Generally for most of us normal humans beings with a limit to the budget, the only we can do this is in the best selection of wheels and / or tires. In the case of the ISF we have the PSS and/or lightweight Forged wheels .

What's wild is switching to a lighter set of forged wheels in the same size as the oem would only shave 15.1 lbs ( example was TSW Nurburgring 19x8 and 19x9)whereas the PSS shaved 18 coming from the Bridgestone RE050A.. Bottom line is switching to the PSS alone will reduce unsprung mass as much as a set of light weight wheels OR MORE ! Thats worth it on its own. Add the price, looks, performance , and durability I think its a no brainer .
Old 08-08-14, 10:03 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Just wanted to add that even though the added grip is great to have, we should also focus on the fact that these tires reduce unsprung mass by 18 lbs ( compared to the Bridgestone RE050A). Reducing unsprung mass reduces inertia which has obvious benefits in keeping the tire on the road. With a reduction in unsprung mass we get more efficient handling, braking, and enhanced road feel. Race teams spend big money trying to reduce unsprung weight. Generally for most of us normal humans beings with a limit to the budget, the only we can do this is in the best selection of wheels and / or tires. In the case of the ISF we have the PSS and/or lightweight Forged wheels .

What's wild is switching to a lighter set of forged wheels in the same size as the oem would only shave 15.1 lbs ( example was TSW Nurburgring 19x8 and 19x9)whereas the PSS shaved 18 coming from the Bridgestone RE050A.. Bottom line is switching to the PSS alone will reduce unsprung mass as much as a set of light weight wheels OR MORE ! Thats worth it on its own. Add the price, looks, performance , and durability I think its a no brainer .
For everyones info.. They actually save 16 lbs.

5 for each tire in front, 3 for each tire in the back. But I agree with everything else.
Old 08-08-14, 12:10 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I didn't even notice this thread was going, but I just put 4 brand new Pilot SuperSports on my car today and am loving the new rubber! My front tires had about 22K miles on them and my rears had 14K, but I just went ahead and replaced everything since one of my rear tires was damaged.

I haven't driven hard enough to actually test them, but I've read nothing but good things about these tires so I decided to give them a go.
Old 08-08-14, 03:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFpat
For everyones info.. They actually save 16 lbs.

5 for each tire in front, 3 for each tire in the back. But I agree with everything else.
NOPE . Tires on Tirerack are 22 lbs front and 24 rear for PSS. Compared to 27 front and 28 rear for the Bridgestones. That save 10 lbs in front a 8 in back

Thats 18lbs buddy !! Unless you are getting the info elsewhere , the math is correct.

In case anyone wants to check the numbers

Bridgestone RE050A

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=yes&tab=Specs

Michelin PSS

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=yes&tab=Specs

Quick Reply: These are the truth! - Unlock that grip