IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

CEL Flashing & TRAC OFF = Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 06:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Ask for the engine to be replaced in its entirety. You keep your factory build and the car you waited patiently for three months to receive.

Every manufacturer builds defective units. We're awfully spoiled with Lexus's very low error rate, but it happens.

I would personally not be concerned about having the engine repaired, except that the dealership - even Lexus themselves - have very little practical experience with the inside of the 2UR-GSE. I'd want their very best tech on this.

FWIW, I once had to show a Lexus tech how to time cams with adjustable cam gears and a cam card. I'm sure he's good at a lot of things, but he hadn't built nearly as many engines as I have, and I would not expect him to have built a lot of engines because Lexus generally swaps units, not disassembles and reassembles.
Old 07-31-14, 01:46 PM
jermzisf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for the feedback so far everyone.

Have a meeting today with the Sales Manager that sold us the car.

My first gut reaction is to ask for my money back because I'm not very happy with the turn of events that have unfolded with it and it obviously wasn't built right to begin with. I'll never feel the same about it or be happy with it in the long run if they repair it knowing a brand new engine after 4 months and only 4000 miles on it is taken apart. Will always feel like a monkey on my back. If they replace the engine who knows how long it will take and that's too long with how long we've already waited and the money we spent.

Need to really think about all of this before today's meeting.
Old 07-31-14, 02:07 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Sorry to hear you are having issues; I've never heard of a similar problem with an IS-F before.

You should seriously investigate a lemon law claim--those laws exist to protect consumers in situations just like this. You should not settle for a new engine or an engine teardown on a brand new car. Even if that fixes the issue, it could hurt the resale value of the car in the future. I've had similar problems with German cars in the past, and would recommend starting a record with Lexus Corporate ASAP, if you have not done so already. They're the ones who will ultimately handle a buy-back, not the dealership.
Old 08-01-14, 01:46 PM
jermzisf
Driver School Candidate

*UPDATE* Met yesterday with our Sales Manager, Service Manager and General Manager. Service Manager explained the rocker is out of place in cylinder 7 on the intake side, so they only need to open up the top end and don't need to tear down the entire engine. Once they're in they'll be able to determine if any damage has occurred and that he has his best Master Certified Technician on this case to investigate. Service and General Manager encouraged us to call Lexus Customer Satisfaction to voice our concerns and see what Lexus can do to make it right. The GM will also be calling a higher up at Lexus about our case so it's already on record. After a few days of extreme frustration and some assurance from our contacts, as long as no major work needs to happen and nothing is damaged, I'm getting to the point that I just want my baby back! Will post another update once I hear from them today. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by jermzisf; 08-01-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-01-14, 03:04 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to get 2 payments off the book by Lexus Corp. keep fighting
Old 08-14-14, 09:49 AM
jermzisf
Driver School Candidate

**UDPATE** Service Manager called on 8/1 stating they removed top end of engine and found cylinder 7 rocker cap off, rocker out of place. Ordering new rocker cap, rocker and spring (just to be safe). No visible damage noted. 8/6 repairs apparently finished without any issues. Now we're in contact with Lexus Corp to deal with the fact that a brand new high performance car had to have repairs already with only 4000 miles on it. Car is still at dealer, almost a month now, until a resolve it made with Corp, and that's whether or not we decide to keep the car. Not sure if I'll ever feel the same about it now. To have my dream car turned into basically a nightmare, what would everyone else do??? Get your dream car back knowing it's not exactly the same, wondering if it'll have issues again, or get your money back and unfortunately look elsewhere, and for what???
Old 08-14-14, 10:02 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I say get your money back and just get another one. your was a rare case and it happens to all manufacturers. If you have plans to purchase something else then start your research over. I wouldn't take that car back since its not going to be the same unless they give you a very good incentive to keep it like free extended warranty and free maintenance also lower your monthly bill or refund you the cost for having it at the shop. if you don't want to deal with lexus again well check the other forums on other cars. You have the M3,C63,S4,ISF,CTSV,Camaros SS,Mustang GT,Corvette,GTR just to name a few. keep us posted though and good luck to ya!
Old 08-14-14, 10:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

get credit towards RCF
Old 08-14-14, 12:17 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^that's a great idea!
Old 08-14-14, 12:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jermzisf
**UDPATE** Service Manager called on 8/1 stating they removed top end of engine and found cylinder 7 rocker cap off, rocker out of place. Ordering new rocker cap, rocker and spring (just to be safe). No visible damage noted. 8/6 repairs apparently finished without any issues. Now we're in contact with Lexus Corp to deal with the fact that a brand new high performance car had to have repairs already with only 4000 miles on it. Car is still at dealer, almost a month now, until a resolve it made with Corp, and that's whether or not we decide to keep the car. Not sure if I'll ever feel the same about it now. To have my dream car turned into basically a nightmare, what would everyone else do??? Get your dream car back knowing it's not exactly the same, wondering if it'll have issues again, or get your money back and unfortunately look elsewhere, and for what???
Glad you came on here for Forum feedback.. Sorry I never got to respond to you directly when I was out of town.

I will be honest, things happen to every brand.. If the repair is done right, then you'll be fine..!! You still have the factory backed 4yr / 50k mile warranty.. and 6yr / 70k mile powertrain warranty.

For your troubles ask for a possible Lexus back extended warranty for 100K miles..

MY08 just turned 90k miles... Still problem free drive wise.
I still need to get my Gauge cluster replaced under my extended warranty. Since some needles went out

Should be as good as new.... I say go pick it up ENJOY IT

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-14-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 01:20 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would agree with that comment completely. The extended warranty would be great as well if you can get it.
Old 08-14-14, 01:48 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

First off: sorry about this.
Second: This is a very odd problem to have, I have never heard of it before and have followed these cars since 2008.
Third: I had a VERY similar situation with my ISF and the engine. With mine it turned out to be a problem in the valve train (springs failing).
I have detailed the experience here on ClubLex and will share the link.

Abridged version: Engine exhibiting knocking sound from ~15,000 miles. After several failed attempts to repair the engine was completely (I mean COMPLETELY) torn down (pics in old thread). Lexus authorized this (remember the dealer is not LEXUS, only a re seller and can only do what Corporate tell them they will pay for). Everything was measured a checked during tear down and rebuild to learn the problem. 4 months later car is returned to me with rebuilt engine (replacement engines are not available from Lexus, period).
Found: valve springs compressed and out of round, cylinder 1 out of round. Thrust bearings with unusual wear. Engine rebuilt, cylinders lightly honed and pistons refitted to cylinder with new rings. When the new springs arrived they were different than the originals (denoted by paint markings on parts, however same part number). New water pump, new oil pump (for good measure).

Engine has not so much as hiccuped in anyway since rebuilt.

Corporate did NOTHING for me. They offered a buyback (joke) lower than current trade in value. They did not offer me an extended warranty. Not so much as an oil change. I did not qualify for lemon law as I was a second owner (purchased with 8,000mi on the odo).

The process sucked, the final bill to Lexus USA... $16,000. I still love the car though and the work was done right. The dealer knows me VERY well now, they take great care of me. I bought a 10/100,000 Lexus platinum warranty myself for piece of mind.

Good luck to you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...t-74-days.html (pics on page 5)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ease-help.html
Old 08-29-14, 01:09 PM
jermzisf
Driver School Candidate

***UPDATE*** I first want to thank everyone again for all of your feedback and support, and a personal thanks to Joe Z for responding also. Well, I finally picked my baby up on Tuesday, 8/26. So just over a month I was without her and I can truly say I missed her. Just waiting in one of the service consultant's offices to pick her up and hearing her be pulled up under the carport was music to my ears, all detailed and ready to rumble. After not having her for over a month, to driving an ES Hybrid loaner (boat hybrid as I called it), I felt like it was almost getting her brand new again. Service manager explained in full detail that as unfortunate as the situation was, the repair went flawlessly with absolutely no damage cause whatsoever. The misfire in cylinder 7 was caused by an out of place rocker from the rocker cap coming off. They replaced the rocker cap, rocker and spring, although the spring was fine, they didn't want to take any chances. Took her for a quick spin with him riding shotgun to test her out, and she ran beautifully, loud, proud and F-ast. I was sure he might've had to change his shorts after my test drive, let alone his white knuckles holding the assist handle, but wanted to be sure her engine was performing like it should...and it did indeed. The dealer was great in this entire situation, from the GM, to our Sales Mgr, to the Service Mgr, they all wanted to make sure everything worked out right and we were taken care of. In regards to Corp/Customer Satisfaction, he was great also. They offered an extended warranty, 7 yr/100,000 mi., for our trouble and we accepted. All in all, everything worked out like it was supposed to and I've got my baby back.

Last edited by jermzisf; 08-29-14 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 01:19 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Glad to hear everything worked out for you
Old 08-29-14, 02:19 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

nice, welcome back!

Quick Reply: CEL Flashing & TRAC OFF = Limp Mode