IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Buying an ISF - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 05:35 PM
dbaseballn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an ISF - Need advice

So I am looking at 2 ISF's currently. I have been combing the forum and am obsessed with the ISF. One I am looking at is local. It is a 2009 USB with 55k miles, it has had 4 previous owners according to the carfax, but no accidents or damage. Car looks good has some paint dings and the front bumper seems to not fit perfect (just off a tad on the left side). The car has been modded (carbon fiber trunk spoiler, springs, cold air intake, upgraded lighting) I drove it and it drives great. Should I be concerned with the car having 4 previous owners that were all over the US? (East coast to West coast) and should I be concerned about the front bumper not fitting perfect, it is just slightly off.I realize with modding that things dont always go back perfect, but not sure about lexus. They are asking 35k for it.

The other is a blue ISF, not one that I can drive to and see easily. It is also a 2009 USB with 45k miles. It is all stock, asking 38k. I just want to see if that price looks good, seems a little high to me.

I appreciate any help or advice.
Old 11-27-15, 06:31 PM
CK21
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaseballn
So I am looking at 2 ISF's currently. I have been combing the forum and am obsessed with the ISF. One I am looking at is local. It is a 2009 USB with 55k miles, it has had 4 previous owners according to the carfax, but no accidents or damage. Car looks good has some paint dings and the front bumper seems to not fit perfect (just off a tad on the left side). The car has been modded (carbon fiber trunk spoiler, springs, cold air intake, upgraded lighting) I drove it and it drives great. Should I be concerned with the car having 4 previous owners that were all over the US? (East coast to West coast) and should I be concerned about the front bumper not fitting perfect, it is just slightly off.I realize with modding that things dont always go back perfect, but not sure about lexus. They are asking 35k for it.

The other is a blue ISF, not one that I can drive to and see easily. It is also a 2009 USB with 45k miles. It is all stock, asking 38k. I just want to see if that price looks good, seems a little high to me.

I bought my 08 quite recently and got it with about 17k on it for about $40k. Just thought I'd give you my story.
Old 11-27-15, 06:47 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by CK21
I bought my 08 quite recently and got it with about 17k on it for about $40k. Just thought I'd give you my story.
And I am looking at an 11' with under 50 for 33,800. Black, so some spots will need attention. But it is what it is. That isn't far off of wholesale. And I could probably prod down another 500 as either the sales man either made a mistake in his negotiations telling me there was still more room to move or he is just an honest guy.
Old 11-27-15, 07:10 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbaseballn

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search the ISF is really a great car and I have loved every min of owning mine. I havent driven mine in 7 days and im going through withdrawal. Im going to take mine out in a little bit for a little late night drive.

so here are my 02 cents.

1. Get the Vin and load it into the lexus drivers car history website. This is your tell all be all on the cars history over the 4 owners. It will show you all the maint history that was performed on the vehicle and any recalls that are were done and that are outstanding ( if any). I dont have the website on me but a quick search you can find it.

4 owners is alot but it really is irrelevant if the car was maintained and it looks solid.

2. What year ISF do you want and do you know the differences in the model years? The ISF went through a few changes over the years. Some members love the 08-09, me i didnt care for them and wanted a 10-12 model ( i wanted the LDS, Better suspension, LED -blacked out lights and alcantara interior). The 13-14's were out of my budget and Id figure if i want one I could get one off lease when the time was right since those should be coming off lease in another 12-36 months. I also wasn't spending 35-40K on a 2008-2009 when i could get a 10-12 for that price so its up to you.

3. get a pre purchase inspection from a 3rd party inspector for from a Lexus dealer. its about 100-300 depending on location and will comb throught the car to find any issues and make sure your investment is sound.. well worth the money for piece of mind..

I paid 35K for a 2011 USB 2 owner ISF with 59K miles( I wasn't really concerned with mileage - Its a Lexus) Flawless paint and interior.

Name:  IMG_4267_zpsqvl1xgp0.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  198.0 KB

Name:  20151115_143520_zpsddwpnrhc.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  202.8 KB

I also traveled to Texas to get mine because i wasnt trying to pay the insane amount of sales tax (8.3%) my county in Cali charges on cars .... **** all of that noise..

Token
Old 11-27-15, 09:32 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I would concentrate on the car more, and less on the price.

A car with a crap load of modifications isn't my cup of tea, at least not an IS-F.
Old 11-27-15, 10:30 PM
dbaseballn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help. This is good advice. I'm not in a rush I just want to find the right car for me. I know 100% that I want a USB ISF, I am pretty open to year.
Old 11-27-15, 11:09 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go with blue 2009. The first one already got beat on by 4 other owner.
Old 11-28-15, 01:32 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Unless the mods are exactly what you want, I'd get the stock one even if it ends up being a couple thousand more. The bumper is almost certainly a bit misaligned because it was removed and a tab was broken or bent. No huge deal, but one of many little quirks you might find having purchased a modded vehicle.
Old 11-28-15, 07:54 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LI also traveled to Texas to get mine because i wasnt trying to pay the insane amount of sales tax (8.3%) my county in Cali charges on cars .... **** all of that noise..

What did you tell them when you went to the California DMV? I had to show paperwork on mine when I move from Nevada. They wanted the tax if you had bought the car within the last year.
Old 11-28-15, 09:06 AM
Pie
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFWes
LI also traveled to Texas to get mine because i wasnt trying to pay the insane amount of sales tax (8.3%) my county in Cali charges on cars .... **** all of that noise..

What did you tell them when you went to the California DMV? I had to show paperwork on mine when I move from Nevada. They wanted the tax if you had bought the car within the last year.
You don't dodge any taxes from buying out of state. You pay taxes based on where you register the vehicle. The only way to get lower taxes is if you write down a lower sale price.
Old 11-28-15, 10:18 AM
CK21
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie
You don't dodge any taxes from buying out of state. You pay taxes based on where you register the vehicle. The only way to get lower taxes is if you write down a lower sale price.
He's right I bought mine in NJ and I had to pay MD sales tax.... What kind of deal did this guy get that I was missing out on!?
Old 11-28-15, 02:09 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFWes

I'm in the military so I register all my cars in Oklahoma where the sales tax is only 3%. i can't wait to move out of this state.. They buckle and dime you for everything. I made the mistake of buying a car in state then registering it in OK and when I went to apply for my tax credit refund.. Cali DMV denied me.. .. .

Never again...