New to the Family - 2011 Obsidian F

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 06:30 PM
JayMSU14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Family - 2011 Obsidian F

Hey Everyone,

Just like a lot of other new members, I have been stalking the IS-F and this Forum for quite some time but never really posted until now. I ended up pulling the trigger earlier this week on a 2011 I found in Charleston. Some of you may have seen the add on Cars.com. The gentleman took extremely good care of it (garage kept, detailed routinely, new brakes put on, synthetic oil on time, etc.). I hired a 3rd party to inspect it before I flew out there (drove it 9 hrs back to MD) with the cash. I was able to come away with this car below $40k - it has less than 30k miles. In MD and neighboring states, I could not find a 2011 for less than $45-48k with that low mileage. He also has an extended warranty (72 mo's, 100k miles) he purchased in 2012 when he got the car so I was gifted that as well. One thing I thought was pretty cool is the paint job - I actually didn't notice until I saw it in person but there are two very faint pinstripes on the car that compliment the interior (black/orange) very nicely. You don't notice until you get close. Hopefully you all can see it in the pics but they really don't do it justice. Supposedly a well known local artist did it, but it's def. super professional and well executed. When I took it to get inspected in MD, I got a lot of compliments from the mechanics there. It's def. growing on me. No Mods yet (just got it yesterday), but I will def. tint the windows and potentially a spoiler above the rear window. I'd like to lower the front a little but I am not in a rush.

MD requires a front license plate but I really do not want to drill holes into this car haha. I have seen some alternatives but still undecided. I will keep the other plate in my car/on the dash for right now. Does anyone else not have a front license plate in a state that it is required? Do police give you much trouble? I pass 4 cops today and didn't have any trouble.....

Here are a few pics - apologies for the poor quality I was in a rush. I'll try to post some more soon!!

[I]One of the pics the Appraiser took - you can see the beginning of the pinstripe near the headlight.
Old 07-24-14, 06:56 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the family :-) I'm in MD myself and run a front plate on my F but not on my truck (HD Edition F-150) and I have been stopped & warned about that. You're probably going to get mixed opinions in regards to whether or not you'll be hassled but the one thing that's guaranteed is that if you choose not to if/when it's required you're always taking the chance that you can/will get stopped for it; only you can decide if that risk is acceptable. Also in my opinion some colors (Red, Blue) seem to naturally draw or attract more attention than others (black, silver, white, etc.)...then again, these cars seem to do that regardless ;-)
Old 07-24-14, 07:27 PM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome I'm in md too. I don't run a front tag but I have been stopped once but I also live in moco so that happens a lot there. Enjoy the f. Might be the last car you'll ever own due to loving it to much. Welcome to the "F"amily
Old 07-24-14, 09:05 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase! You'll really enjoy her. As for the front plate, I don't have mine drilled, and CA is a state that will draw revenue from no front plate tickets. I tied the plate to the lower grille. It might not be fashionable, and I'm not one to use a RHO plate (see tow hook mount license plates), but it does the job. It comes off during car shows, meets, and events, but when I'm driving, it stays on. I just don't want to be hassled, as it could lead to a cop sniffing around for other things to write me up on.
Old 07-24-14, 10:36 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good enjoy!
Old 07-24-14, 10:37 PM
jackhui
Rookie

very niceee. you're going to enjoy it for sure. The F is pretty beastly.
Old 07-25-14, 12:25 AM
dabs
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

be prepared for a permanent smile pasted to your face. Congratulations
Old 07-25-14, 04:19 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the "F" Family...Obsidian is my second favorite color on the ISF after Matador Red Mica of course... Also it seems like the NE area has very active members...enjoy!

Last edited by MYISF; 07-25-14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-25-14, 05:10 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

Welcome to F club! I am also from MD and use a GrimmSpeed tow hook license plate holder.
Old 07-25-14, 06:57 AM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Congrats and welcome to the F'amily! Need to show us the interior pics of that black and orange....
Old 07-25-14, 11:06 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

congrats and welcome to the F family!
Old 07-25-14, 11:31 AM
hgill02
Driver

congrats man. Great deal on the car. Let the modding begin.
Old 07-25-14, 12:50 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Love it...congrats.

If you are planning on removing the pinstripe like I did on mine - it was very easy.
Old 07-25-14, 06:00 PM
JayMSU14
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone! Appreciate the tips and input on the front license plate.

Vervish - the pinstripe is painted on and not a decal. I assume yours was not painted on? As of right now i have not intention to remove it. I actually think it compliments the car really well. Especially the interior. It's so subtle but extremely well done. Makes it unique.

If I did want to remove it down the road, how exactly did you have yours removed?

I'll post some interior pics soon!!
Old 07-26-14, 12:26 AM
WebSoCal
Driver

congrats and welcome!! under $40K for 2011?? that's a steal lol

Quick Reply: New to the Family - 2011 Obsidian F