IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 02:58 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS

Once a year I have to get my car inspected and with that comes the exhaust swap back to stock. Have seen a few reports here that the stock exhaust does NOT fit in the trunk and/or cabin so I wanted to share with you all that it is possible and not all that hard. Note: All exhaust pieces were placed inside through the front passenger door.

Step 1

Remove the headrest from the passenger seat and slide the seat all the way forward and tilt all the way back. Cover the area with towels, drop cloths, blankets or something.

Step 2

Cover the exhaust pieces to protect the inside of the car.

Step 3

Place muffler section inside the car. Note the side with shorter piping to the muffler goes in first. This will allow the exhaust to fit in behind the driver seat.

Step 4

Place the mid-pipe section in next with the dual pipes going inside the car first. Rest the dual pipe pieces on top of the backseat and the resonator rested up against the glove box.

Step 5

Drive safely. You wouldn't want to be in an accident with these pieces flying around!
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS-1.jpg   DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS-2.jpg   DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS-4.jpg   DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS-5.jpg   DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS-6.jpg  

DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS-7.jpg   DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS-8.jpg  

Last edited by caymandive; 08-04-17 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 03:54 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive. I couldn't even figure out how to get the axle-back section in.
Old 07-24-14, 04:21 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I would say just watch out for that midpipe under moderate to heavy braking. There is protection on both ends, but I'd be afraid of it coming in contact with the rear windshield. I've seen that happen, not on an IS F but on another car that needed to house the stock exhaust.
Old 07-24-14, 05:05 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Very clever & brave. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-24-14, 08:49 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Not to put down your ingenuity, you did great figuring that out. But that is one of the very reasons I own a Truck with an 8' bed.

The F hauls butt, the truck everything else.

Lou
Old 07-24-14, 08:51 PM
DansonISF
Pole Position

lol in my state of TX you dosent need to removed anything if your car dose have check engine light pop on then you will fail but could be fix that issue is that paying them extra other word under table money they will normally make it go thru but you much be know them for long time or they know you well in order to do that (>^~^<)
Old 07-24-14, 11:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

pretty slick. Where there is a will there is a way. The F works.
Old 07-24-14, 11:42 PM
jackhui
Rookie

surprised you got that thing in lol... i would be too scared as it'll scratch up the interior. even with the blankets wrapped over it
Old 07-25-14, 03:05 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Not to put down your ingenuity, you did great figuring that out. But that is one of the very reasons I own a Truck with an 8' bed.

The F hauls butt, the truck everything else.

Lou
I agree with you and I certainly don't use the F as a truck unnecessarily. The reason I'm doing this is because the shop JE Import Performance is all the way up in Baltimore and I'm saving a trip (good 3 hours driving time) by taking the exhaust with me. Typically I throw large items in the back of my Prius or the wife's minivan.

PS.
I'm sure you remember how traffic was here in the DC area when you lived out this way.

Last edited by caymandive; 07-25-14 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-23-14, 08:38 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks! I've been looking all over to see if this would work!
Old 08-23-14, 11:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

h4x0rz FTMFW! Nice work and thanks for sharing!
Old 08-23-14, 05:13 PM
ISFalex
Driver

CaymanDive, my IS-F with a JOE-Z exhaust (with high flow cats that were on the exhaust when I got it) and Sikky headers, and I pass VA emissions and inspection. Why do you put the stock exhaust back on? Do you not pass?
Old 08-23-14, 06:43 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ISFalex
CaymanDive, my IS-F with a JOE-Z exhaust (with high flow cats that were on the exhaust when I got it) and Sikky headers, and I pass VA emissions and inspection. Why do you put the stock exhaust back on? Do you not pass?
He obviously needs to goto the shop you go too..!!

Joe Z
Old 08-23-14, 06:47 PM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
He obviously needs to goto the shop you go too..!! Joe Z
Lol, I guess . Love the exhaust BTW!
Old 08-24-14, 05:15 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ISFalex
Sounds about right actually. I know of several shops that would pass my inspection if I had at least high flow cats, but since I'm not running any there is no way I'd pass. I can just imagine sitting there watching the inspection process with the car running and the bewildered looks of the techs as they see no OBDII issues yet the car smells raw. That would trigger a visual I'm sure. LOL

Anyway, swapping the exhaust isn't all that bad. It costs me about $200 to do the swap and it's a good time to get my yearly oil change done and things checked out. (Don't drive it very often) This year during the exhaust swap we noticed the water pump leaking and with just a week left in warranty I got lucky!

Quick Reply: DIY: Fitting stock exhaust inside a second gen IS