IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wald Spoiler Molding

Old 07-23-14, 03:05 PM
cooldude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wald Spoiler Molding

So, i sold my real WALD spoiler and bought a replica off ebay, I see many people making posts about molding it, how exactly is that done? i want to do it my self preferably.

thanks for the info
Old 07-23-14, 03:22 PM
airvtec
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

No disrespect, but if you have to ask how that is done, I don't think you should do it yourself. You might end up screwing up more and then having to pay a professional body shop to fix it at the end. If you are just installing the spoiler, then that isn't so bad. But molding the spoiler to the trunk.....leave that to the pro.
Old 07-23-14, 04:16 PM
cooldude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airvtec
No disrespect, but if you have to ask how that is done, I don't think you should do it yourself. You might end up screwing up more and then having to pay a professional body shop to fix it at the end. If you are just installing the spoiler, then that isn't so bad. But molding the spoiler to the trunk.....leave that to the pro.
Well, i wont learn if i don't try, and yes, i am trying to put it on, but the ends are a bit off
Old 07-23-14, 04:56 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cooldude
Well, i wont learn if i don't try, and yes, i am trying to put it on, but the ends are a bit off
Have you ever done any type of body work in a car? If you haven't, I suggest you start with something easier if you want to learn. There's a lot of body filling and sanding to do to mold the spoiler. Then you have to paint your trunk or take it somewhere to get it painted.
Old 07-23-14, 04:59 PM
cooldude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jat0223
Have you ever done any type of body work in a car? If you haven't, I suggest you start with something easier if you want to learn. There's a lot of body filling and sanding to do to mold the spoiler. Then you have to paint your trunk or take it somewhere to get it painted.
Is it necessary to mold it? will it fit on ok if i just put it on?
Old 07-23-14, 05:08 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I have a Wald rep spoiler. The fitment was spot on. You can use 3M emblem\molding tape.
Old 07-23-14, 05:09 PM
cooldude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rickna
I have a Wald rep spoiler. The fitment was spot on. You can use 3M emblem\molding tape.
ok thank you
Old 07-23-14, 10:00 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It certainly not an easy task, but doable. I opted to have mine professionally done, since I don't have the skills to undertake such an extensive project. What I found most difficult when discussing with the guys who were shaping the WALD spoiler to blend seamlessly with the trunk design were the materials used and the precision needed to look right at all angles. As you can see, it was not something that could be done relatively quickly It is also worth noting that I chose to raise the quarter panels so that everything looked flush all around.

But in the end, the vision I thought of when molding this one piece to the trunk and make it as seamless and OEM as possible was achieved. The shop guys did ask me to visit at each stage from shaping the lines to the molding procedure to an unpainted/primer look before sanding down some areas and giving it a clean palette prior to sending the F to paint. Even the lower part of the spoiler before it meets the upper part of where the license plate lights are housed was molded to the trunk. No detail was spared, and it did come out exactly as I had thought.

I would advise that if you go about this yourself, to be patient and do practice on a smaller area first. It won't be the most cost-effective approach to have to purchase another trunk if things go wrong. Best of luck, cooldude!
Old 07-24-14, 05:52 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Wow! That is stunning. Probably the most difficult color to do.
Old 07-24-14, 06:05 AM
jackhui
Rookie

anyone notice the new 3rd gens have a trunk lip that kinda looks like the wald molded?

not has protruding of course but it has that upward lip and the indented emblem .
maybe its just me hehe.
Old 07-24-14, 08:52 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude that looks friggin perFect...

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
It certainly not an easy task, but doable. I opted to have mine professionally done, since I don't have the skills to undertake such an extensive project. What I found most difficult when discussing with the guys who were shaping the WALD spoiler to blend seamlessly with the trunk design were the materials used and the precision needed to look right at all angles. As you can see, it was not something that could be done relatively quickly It is also worth noting that I chose to raise the quarter panels so that everything looked flush all around.

Last edited by MYISF; 07-24-14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 12:36 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
Wow! That is stunning. Probably the most difficult color to do.
It probably seemed more difficult to the paint guys because when they blended it to the body of the car, the paint was slightly off. So off for a another complete spray until they got it to match accordingly. The complete build (so far) is here....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-years-5.html

Originally Posted by jackhui
anyone notice the new 3rd gens have a trunk lip that kinda looks like the wald molded?

not has protruding of course but it has that upward lip and the indented emblem .
maybe its just me hehe.
I'm with you. It was a great design from the factory, similar to what Audi does with its trunk bill/mini spoiler. I'm seeing more and more aftermarket trunk lips available for the 3IS, but WALD, which is still highly popular among the 2IS/IS F body style, doesn't have one available yet for that platform.

Originally Posted by MYISF
Dude that looks friggin perFect...
MYISF, thanks! It was hard to see her butchered up for a good amount of time, and I was at that shop literally every day after work to check up on her. Some are fine with just mounting it with 3M tape and calling it a day, and that's fine, but I just like this look better, even if there is no performance aspect to it. I did get my inspration from Sffd103 and his Black Princess, and he has been a huge help in discussing various aspects of this molding process and what to inform the shop guys about when getting it to look exactly as I pictured.

To the OP, I'd first get a quote from various shops near you to see how much this will cost first. If you are still set on doing this yourself, it wouldn't hurt to ask them what they would be using to create that uniform look that brings the spoiler to the trunk. From there, you can budget your materials and find a location, whether a garage or somewhere where you can just find solitude in slicing away excess material from epoxy/duraglass/fiberglass. You don't want to be distracted when shaping it prior to having it sanded down and getting ready for paint.

Last edited by bnizzle87; 07-24-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 03:57 PM
BlackISFtx
Rookie

very nice!
Old 07-24-14, 06:15 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Amazing!...I've been looking for a spare trunk for years to do this....great job!

Digger08
Old 07-25-14, 04:33 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
MYISF, thanks! It was hard to see her butchered up for a good amount of time, and I was at that shop literally every day after work to check up on her. Some are fine with just mounting it with 3M tape and calling it a day, and that's fine, but I just like this look better, even if there is no performance aspect to it. I did get my inspration from Sffd103 and his Black Princess, and he has been a huge help in discussing various aspects of this molding process and what to inform the shop guys about when getting it to look exactly as I pictured.
Oh I understand completely...when mine was in the body shop for two weeks getting a custom paint job and all the mods appiled (black out theme, TOMS kit,etc...) I was constantly going there to inspect each step and it would freak me out to see the car all in pieces...even though the guys at the shop were enthusiast and loved MYISF it still made me anxious as hell! I never want to go through that again...