IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Cell phone mount recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 09:58 AM
hgill02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a picture of the clip when getting back into the car after a hour driven mines does not sag in my Isf but does a little bit in my 4runner. Different types of vents in both. In my Isf I have driven 5 hours on Monday with no sag at all. I think it has to do with the type of vent. Also in my Isf when my HTC one m8 on there I still have air coming from half of the vent, which is great because in my 4runner the way the vents are it covers the whole vent. So it works great in my Isf. I'll take some shot if the phone on there when I get home on Friday and have access to a second camera to take pics with.
Attached Thumbnails Cell phone mount recommendations-imag0377.jpg  
Old 07-23-14, 11:19 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

nice, thanks for the pic man.

so, does it wiggle or wobble much when you put your phone in there and/or your phone is in there and you are tapping on the screen?
Old 07-23-14, 12:19 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used something called the tetrax which uses magnets to mount your phone anywhere on the dash. you can use it on the airvent or using the magnet plate with 3m tape and attach it anywhere on your dash. only thing is you have to attach a small metal pebble to your phone or case. they come with many sizes.

Amazon.com: Tetrax 72028 FIXWAY Smartphone/iPhone/GPS Magnetic Holder, Dashboard Mount: Automotive Amazon.com: Tetrax 72028 FIXWAY Smartphone/iPhone/GPS Magnetic Holder, Dashboard Mount: Automotive

I don't use it anymore as I have qi car charger mount in the car currently.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 07-23-14 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 12:28 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
I used something called the tetrax which uses magnets to mount your phone anywhere on the dash. you can use it on the airvent or using the magnet plate with 3m tape and attach it anywhere on your dash. only thing is you have to attach a small metal pebble to your phone or case. they come with many sizes.

Amazon.com: Tetrax 72028 FIXWAY Smartphone/iPhone/GPS Magnetic Holder, Dashboard Mount: Automotive

I don't use it anymore as I have qi car charger mount in the car currently.
I saw something similar called MagicMount made by Scosche that utilizes magnets, but everything is hidden so there is no "metal pebble" visible on the phone. My only concern with these options are having to adhere the mount to the dash. I would hate to mess up the dash trying to remove the mount some day.
http://www.scosche.com/magicmount
Old 07-23-14, 12:32 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
I saw something similar called MagicMount made by Scosche that utilizes magnets, but everything is hidden so there is no "metal pebble" visible on the phone. My only concern with these options are having to adhere the mount to the dash. I would hate to mess up the dash trying to remove the mount some day.
http://www.scosche.com/magicmount
I removed mines with no problems or scratches. again it uses actual 3m tape and taking it off was easy as I just slide my credit card to get between the dash and tape, got it off with no problems. its similar to removing your emblems but its actually easier as you don't have to deal with the paint. I used it as I saw someone else use it on youtube. u can also get the one that attaches to the air vents.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 07-23-14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 12:40 PM
Switchride
Driver School Candidate

I'm using the Kenu also and it works perfect mounted on the left side of the middle vent. The phone rests right above the climate button. Perfect spot for visibility and it doesn't move at all.
Old 07-23-14, 12:54 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrkim
I find the ashtray to be a perfect holder... you auto rotate the screen when you have it on the side and plugged then TA DA... a secondary GPS and pandora radio station
I rescind my earlier feedback on this option. I just tried it and realized that if I push the phone in just a little it stays in place very well. Obviously this option won't work for all due to different phone sizes, but for my 5s and rubberized case it fits perfectly. Still not sure about visibility being this low, but with voice prompts it certainly is an option and is better than what I have been doing with just laying it down in on the center console. I will receive my vent mount tomorrow so I'll post feedback on that as well.

Name:  photo3b_zps45ef3331.jpg
Views: 8864
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 07-23-14, 01:43 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

I am using something called the synergy
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tphone-charger

Old 07-23-14, 05:32 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

This is a flexible goose neck, bolts to the seat track.
Cell phone mount recommendations-dscn2270-resize-.jpg
Old 07-23-14, 05:42 PM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by scamsel
nice, thanks for the pic man.

so, does it wiggle or wobble much when you put your phone in there and/or your phone is in there and you are tapping on the screen?
It does not wiggle or wobble at all when I use the phone while its in there.
Old 07-23-14, 05:43 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
This is a flexible goose neck, bolts to the seat track.
Attachment 336950
not the most elegant holder in the world!
Old 07-23-14, 06:08 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by scamsel
not the most elegant holder in the world!
True, but it works for me.
Old 07-23-14, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I have this:

http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/pow...rtable-devices

It holds my Lumia 920, Lumia 1020, and Galaxy S5 perfectly. I have a short micro USB zip tied to the stalk so I can plug in whatever phone I am carrying. All my phones charge wirelessly as well, so the next thing to do to this mount is incorporate a Qi pad and plug it in permanently. It will solve the floating ground noise issue for plugged in audio. It's simple to mount/dismount the phone with one hand, and once I have Qi enabled charging there will only be one wire (if I am listening to music).

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-23-14 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 07:59 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have this:

It holds my Lumia 920, Lumia 1020, and Galaxy S5 perfectly. I have a short micro USB zip tied to the stalk so I can plug in whatever phone I am carrying. All my phones charge wirelessly as well, so the next thing to do to this mount is incorporate a Qi pad and plug it in permanently. It will solve the floating ground noise issue for plugged in audio. It's simple to mount/dismount the phone with one hand, and once I have Qi enabled charging there will only be one wire (if I am listening to music).
I had the same issue with plugged in audio as I too was getting the ground noise. I purchased a ground loop noise isolator and I haven't had any issues since. This is the one I purchased.
Amazon.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator Works with iPod/Zune/iRiver and Others: Automotive Amazon.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator Works with iPod/Zune/iRiver and Others: Automotive
Old 07-24-14, 11:28 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have this:

wow that looks nice! yea that is the thing trying to find a decent qi charger mount. that is a nice setup though. The one I have mounts on the windshield and powers from the mirror wire. I can also press the button to dismount the whole thing and bring it in the house and mount it on the station at my desk.

Quick Reply: Cell phone mount recommendations