IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Cell phone mount recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 01:53 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Received the Kenu Airframe today and I must say I'm impressed so far! The position on the vent is perfect for visibility and staying cool. In addition, it feels like the mount is going to be very secure as I pushed it onto the vent using the thinner mount slats on the back for the tightest possible fit. The ease of use is also great and in landscape mode all cords remain out of the way. Will be driving tomorrow to really test it out, but I don't anticipate any concerns. It does however put some weight on the vent so it's always in the position shown in the picture below. I don't see how I could aim the vent higher or lower, but the adjustment to aim right or left still works.

Name:  kenu_zps9edb68ea.jpg
Views: 7234
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  kenuwithphone_zpsacb0b586.jpg
Views: 6815
Size:  87.5 KB

Last edited by caymandive; 07-24-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 05:48 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Just drove 65 miles without issue! The Kenu Airframe mount held my phone securely in place and I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-25-14, 07:34 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

good pics cayman. so it doesn't wobble too bad when you poke it? and in portrait mode it stays vertical enough without having to adjust to point back up towards your eyes?
Old 07-25-14, 07:52 AM
hgill02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you like its man. I've had mine for a while now and I even travel with it for work to use in the rental cars. No issues for me.

Scamsel: I use mine frequently and it does not wobble. For normal, switching between nav and music player and switching songs or making calls, no wobble.
Old 07-25-14, 07:55 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Originally Posted by hgill02
Glad you like its man. I've had mine for a while now and I even travel with it for work to use in the rental cars. No issues for me.

Scamsel: I use mine frequently and it does not wobble. For normal, switching between nav and music player and switching songs or making calls, no wobble.
sweet, i will pick one up when i get a new phone since won't be able to use my proclip dock any longer. thanks man!
Old 07-25-14, 08:02 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by scamsel
good pics cayman. so it doesn't wobble too bad when you poke it? and in portrait mode it stays vertical enough without having to adjust to point back up towards your eyes?
Nope! I too was concerned about "wobble" but I had no issues with being able to poke at it while driving. I have not tried it in a vertical orientation as I don't want the phone to cover the nav screen, but it should be fine.

For those with larger screens up to 6" they also have a plus version available. Yes I purchased two to see which one I liked better and will keep the other as a spare. As you can see, the plus version has a slightly deeper device grip and the prongs are also slightly deeper for an even more secure fit to the vent with the larger sized devices that can be used with it. Both work just fine with the iPhone 5s.
http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe-plus

Name:  picstitch_zpsdcbeb37b.jpg
Views: 6650
Size:  76.7 KB

Last edited by caymandive; 07-25-14 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-25-14, 07:02 PM
BluStreak1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Cayman...finally got the pics uploaded. I have an external fiberglass "mount" that attaches to your console with a clip and some tabs. no holes required. I don't know what brand it is, I got it at a local stereo shop for about $60. I then attached a pro clip magnetic mount to that...it's by far the strongest and cleanest mount out there...plus people think it's a big red button when they look in my car. I tell them it's a secret button...haha!

I also got a 6" USB cord so I didn't have to run a long one from the armrest.
Old 07-26-14, 04:48 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

That looks like a Kuda mount-
http://www.kudausa.com/kuda-custom-l...exus-k321.html
Old 07-26-14, 04:20 PM
sr20bet
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BluStreak1
Sorry Cayman...finally got the pics uploaded. I have an external fiberglass "mount" that attaches to your console with a clip and some tabs. no holes required. I don't know what brand it is, I got it at a local stereo shop for about $60. I then attached a pro clip magnetic mount to that...it's by far the strongest and cleanest mount out there...plus people think it's a big red button when they look in my car. I tell them it's a secret button...haha!

I also got a 6" USB cord so I didn't have to run a long one from the armrest.
I'll upload my mount pics. I like yours, but mine has a better line of sight and I think it looks just as clean.

Give me a day or so to upload the pics
Old 07-26-14, 08:04 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I made my own.
Attached Thumbnails Cell phone mount recommendations-dsc_5148.jpg  
Old 07-26-14, 10:28 PM
sr20bet
Rookie

Default Magnet Phone Mount - Look pretty clean but may not work for large/heavy phones.

Looking for a clean mount for my isf. there isn't a lot of room to put a mount and I don't want to look down to far from my line of sight. Picked up a phone mount when I was in Asia. I'm pretty sure they sell these online.

Here's a video. Not really sure how to embed the video on this forum...hahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2n...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2n...ature=youtu.be

landscape orientation

macro shot

in the dark you hardly notice the magnet

in the light you can see the magnet, some may find the look tacky

at night sometimes i turn on the gps speedmeter, i think it's easy to read. i wish speed and tach info could be fed into a tablet/phone so I could see the gear in super large font.
Old 07-27-14, 08:23 AM
scamsel
Advanced

i think that can be done with certain apps and a wireless obd thingy
Old 07-27-14, 08:45 AM
sr20bet
Rookie

Originally Posted by scamsel
i think that can be done with certain apps and a wireless obd thingy
I did a search a few months back and didn't find anything unless there are new developments since I last checked.
Old 07-28-14, 03:35 PM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sr20bet
I did a search a few months back and didn't find anything unless there are new developments since I last checked.
Yes you can with this. They have cheaper ones, but this is the one with the best reviews. I bought it couple weeks ago:

Amazon Amazon

^^ *This will only work with Android phones! There are another adapters for iphones but are wifi. Also the app (Torque PRO) is not available on iOS.*

Also you will need to buy an app called Torque PRO. There is a free version, but I only used to be sure the adapter connected with the app. The PRO version had tons of features and you can customize. You can check and clear CEL with this

Funny thing is that I was looking for a mount so I can use the app all time, and this thread surfaced.
Old 07-28-14, 04:10 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

for those who don't want to pay full price for the Kenu

http://slickdeals.net/f/7089816-kenu...customers-only

Quick Reply: Cell phone mount recommendations