IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why you picked an F

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 05:17 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

About 5 years ago I was the victim of a bad car accident. I was T-boned in the drivers side door. My left shoulder was operated on 4 times and My cervical spine has 4 levels of fusion, bone grafts, and caging and an artificial disk. It has also been fused to my thoracic spine. Bottom line is I'm lucky to be alive, so I decided to reward my self. I like Toyota's legendary quality and the luxury of Lexus. I consider it to be a safe and reliable car with all the power I could want.
Old 07-23-14, 10:36 PM
tommigsr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rickna,

You certainly lived through hell buddy, glad you're here with us today.

As for my story, I fell in love with the ISF at it's debut. I had already purchased a 2008 is250 6 months before the release of the ISF. I came into the dealership one day for an oil change and there it was in the showroom, SFP with black interior...i knew one day i would have this car, and that one day came just shy of a year ago, a 2008 SFP with black interior.

everytime i sit in the car, start that engine...its truly priceless
Old 07-23-14, 11:13 PM
hgill02
Driver

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability!!!

Lol My Pontiac G8 was rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me. Car got sandwiched and was totalled. Next up was deciding between another G8, CTS-V, ISF, M3. Bought the ISF for its reliability as I plan to put a couple of hundred thousand miles on it. Having owned a previous M3, i didnt want to deal with the reliability issues I had previously or the crazy prices that BMW likes to charge for every small thing that goes wrong.

the ISF is not the head turner that the others are in my opinion, but its definitely the most reliable and will probably last the longest.
Old 07-24-14, 06:04 AM
Rickna
Racer

Thanks tom, much appreciated. That's why I got this plate-

Why you picked an F-anomly_01-resize.jpg
Old 07-24-14, 09:13 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Because I settled from an E92 M3... Mainly due to the fear of maintenance cost - having owned the previous two generations of M3s.

Still a good car. It was the smarter choice.
Old 07-24-14, 11:03 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Crazy how almost every person I read about on a forum who came to Lexus from BMW come because of reliability and maintenance issues. Im surprised that even after all these years BMW cant understand that they need to build a better car for reliability.

It aint ultimate if its broken in the shop.
Old 07-24-14, 11:10 AM
Rickna
Racer

My BMW is 13 yrs old about 110k mi. After 50k mi is when you have to start replacing steering, suspension, cooling, etc. I keep it because its 4WD (330xi), and it's very safe and excellent in the snow. You know what I went through from my previous post.
Old 07-24-14, 02:49 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Crazy how almost every person I read about on a forum who came to Lexus from BMW come because of reliability and maintenance issues. Im surprised that even after all these years BMW cant understand that they need to build a better car for reliability.

It aint ultimate if its broken in the shop.
I should have elaborated, I never had anything break down on me or reliability issues; although some owners have. I always do preventative maintenance, so that's where most of my money went. But they do have more items on their service recommendations - not nearly as much as Mercedes.

Higher parts cost is expected with higher performance parts. Like a swiss watch. You need to keep them in spec, to perform 100%. Labor is more-or-less the same. But still I won't ever drive one without warranty - for those exotic issues. Its just the side things, like cooling (which all cars have to do) are more expensive.

I've taken all my cars past 100k without real issues. Could I have taken it to the same point without replacing most thing? Yes. But that's the problem with listening to your greedy mechanic, and it hurts more when you're a perfectionist.

I never really fell in love with the IS-F in my 3 weeks of ownership. I don't feel like a driving god in it. I think that's what the M3 did. It was a quick ego lifter and when I drove it, I felt like I was in total control. If I got into a little trouble, it was a very easy car to get back control. Not that I am a race-car driver. And I think everyone just looks at this car, and thinks its just an IS.

I can't wait for the used market for the new M3 Chassis - I would definitely go back. I probably sounds like an ***-hat.. I am sure people kill to have an IS-F.
Old 07-24-14, 02:49 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rickna
About 5 years ago I was the victim of a bad car accident. I was T-boned in the drivers side door. My left shoulder was operated on 4 times and My cervical spine has 4 levels of fusion, bone grafts, and caging and an artificial disk. It has also been fused to my thoracic spine. Bottom line is I'm lucky to be alive, so I decided to reward my self. I like Toyota's legendary quality and the luxury of Lexus. I consider it to be a safe and reliable car with all the power I could want.
Holy shxt.
Old 07-24-14, 04:01 PM
Frank1298
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always been a fan of the IS-F since they came out in 08' at the time I was driving the g35 sedan I ended up getting engaged and I got super lucky that my now wife is a car person like me. Our plan was to get married and save up money to get me a new car after paying for most of our wedding ourselves. We did the normal thing thing looked around and drove some BMW, Audi, and of course Lexus. We test drove an IS-F and we both got hooked instantly and we knew that would be the car that I was getting after our wedding and saving up again. So after looking and looking just keeping an eye out what was out there I guess she got the hint that I really wanted the F. After work one day I went home and she told me there is an IS-F I want us to look at and of course keeping all the excitement in I said sure lets go. We got to the dealership and seen a 2012 IS-F we drove it and fell in love and that was that our minds were made up. We filled out the paperwork the next day and the F was ours and she loves to drive it just as much as I do and she is not afraid to push it. And of course a few month later we got married
Old 07-27-14, 02:12 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't even know about the F when I was shopping during market crashed back in 2008. Impulse purchase, especially with $10K off since no V8+ was moving off the dealers' lots while gas price was hovering around $5/gal.
Old 07-27-14, 02:36 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was driving a 2010 Evo x with basic bolt ons and on Kwv3 coilovers. I also live in Socal and commute 50 miles a day to work, including having to pass through downtown LA. I was getting tired of the noise and the rough edges of the car, including clutching in and out, so I decided to switch out. I simple reason I got the ISF over the c63 and m3 is because of the reliability. I hate that it has an 8 speed automatic and the ECU is locked, but I do love everything else about it. Eventually I'll get another manual to play with, but for now the ISF is doing its job.
Old 07-27-14, 02:36 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Didn't even know about the F when I was shopping during market crashed back in 2008. Impulse purchase, especially with $10K off since no V8+ was moving off the dealers' lots while gas price was hovering around $5/gal.
I really wish I was older and had more spare cash on hand during the market crash. Looks like you got out with a great deal!
Old 07-27-14, 03:49 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

That was around the same time I purchased a 1 year old, 1 owner 2008 ISF with 10k miles on it, black on black, for $42k OTD from out of state. Clean title, pristine condition and even had the full frontal 3M Clearbra installed. Yes, $42k after TTL for a 1 year old ISF back in 2009.

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Old 07-31-14, 06:25 AM
pigwet
Driver School Candidate

I purchased and IS F to replace my CTS-V wagon. I didn't think that think would last very long whereas the IS F has perfect reliability. I have since opted to purchase a manual M3. I really miss the manual transmission. The ISF would be perfect if it had a manual option. Speed, handling, & reliability...no manual though.

Quick Reply: Why you picked an F