IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

'08 ISF 2nd gear slip on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 09:16 AM
jj813
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does this also. goes away by the time i leave my neighborhood.
Old 07-20-14, 09:20 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I ways assumed it was the car intentionally retarding the shifts, maybe until the transmission fluid can lather everything up and is warm. The same thing actually happens in my '13 GS.
Old 07-20-14, 03:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Hmm, I've taken it to lexus and they've checked it out under warranty and said that there aren't any problems that they've seen. The service adviser said that he went on a ride a long with the tech, and plugged in their laptap and said everything was working fine, and that the solenoids were working properly. They even tried recreating the scenario described by OP. They didn't mention anything about fluids when they finished their test, but I believe the dealership says that they check fluids as part of the multipoint inspection whenever you bring your car in, so I assume that they've checked this.

What specifically (in terms of low fluid levels) do you suggest I look for, or tell the dealer to look for? I might just bring it into a few other dealers and have them check it out. I'm still under warranty so I want to get this **** sorted out before it's too late.
Checking the fluid level is not simple as the fluid has to be at a specific temperature, and the procedure is pretty detailed. Unless they got the car cold, there's no way they could test this with any accuracy. To do this correctly, you should expect they would want the car overnight to let it fully cool before any testing the level occurs.

Everything might work correctly on Techstream, but there are a few conditions you can produce pretty consistently to prove the level is low. The best one is a right hand sweeping turn from a dead stop to 45 mph. If the level is low, it will stick in 2nd gear at 5000 rpm. AMHIK. Demo that, then have them adjust the level and you should not have the issues you've been having.

There is no way in the world for Techstream to tell you if the fluid level is correct.
Old 07-23-14, 01:57 PM
jackhui
Rookie

hmmm i think i'll go get my fluids checked as well. sometimes i notice the tranny shifts at a higher rpm but i'm not in sport mode.
Old 07-23-14, 02:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have not noticed exactly what is being described by the OP but I do have the cold flare in my 2010 but it all feels normal as soon as the car is warm. Because the ISF has a performance engine I tend to start my car first in the morning ( runs for about 4-5 min ), then let my dogs out to pee, then I leave. This way the girl is always warm when I take off.
Old 07-23-14, 06:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have not noticed exactly what is being described by the OP but I do have the cold flare in my 2010 but it all feels normal as soon as the car is warm. Because the ISF has a performance engine I tend to start my car first in the morning ( runs for about 4-5 min ), then let my dogs out to pee, then I leave. This way the girl is always warm when I take off.
That's one of the worst things you can do to your engine. It needs no more than 60 seconds before you put a load on it, and if you fail to put a load on it, you get heavy condensation inside the engine because you're not moving enough fresh air through the PCV system.

This doesn't mean start it and red line it while the oil is cold. It just means the best way to warm an engine is driving it, not letting it sit and idle.
Old 07-23-14, 08:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

thanks for the heads up. The amount of time is minimal. 90% of the time they go outside in the morning because I wont give them treats unless they try to pee. My wife lets them out in the morning before I even get up so when they go out with me they step outside and scratch to come back in LMAO. They know the routine. Thanks again for the heads up Lobux. I value your info , knowledge, and experience highly.
Old 07-23-14, 09:48 PM
jackhui
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's one of the worst things you can do to your engine. It needs no more than 60 seconds before you put a load on it, and if you fail to put a load on it, you get heavy condensation inside the engine because you're not moving enough fresh air through the PCV system.

This doesn't mean start it and red line it while the oil is cold. It just means the best way to warm an engine is driving it, not letting it sit and idle.
does the same 60 seconds apply during winter weather as well?
or does the idle time on start up increase with temperature change?
Old 07-23-14, 10:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Idling is bad for engines period. This is why you'll see your engine race up to 1500 rpm immediately after start up. If your ambient temperature is sub-zero, the same rules apply - the engine warms up best under light load. You just aren't as concerned about humidity condensing inside the engine because as the temperature drops, the humidity approaches zero rapidly.
Old 07-24-14, 06:32 AM
jackhui
Rookie

So i noticed the F , on cold start, shoots up to like 1500 rpm like you said . stays there for about 15-20 seconds and goes back down.

so once it idles back at normal, does that mean we can start going?
Old 07-24-14, 07:24 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackhui
So i noticed the F , on cold start, shoots up to like 1500 rpm like you said . stays there for about 15-20 seconds and goes back down.

so once it idles back at normal, does that mean we can start going?
Yes...but then just take it easy until the oil temp reaches the 2nd bar...then it is time to have some fun
Old 07-24-14, 07:53 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Mine does the same thing...no worries bro....its gone by the time I get down the street!
Old 07-24-14, 10:36 PM
jackhui
Rookie

thx for all the input guys. really appreciate it.
Old 07-25-14, 07:50 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

2 bars only? i wait for 3 before really beating on her. ha.

also lobux, what is bad about humidity?
Old 07-26-14, 08:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by scamsel
2 bars only? i wait for 3 before really beating on her. ha.

also lobux, what is bad about humidity?
It condenses inside the engine and washes down the inside of the engine. It ends up as a puddle on top of the oil with lots of organic acids from blowby dissolved in it. It is why the Total Base Number (TBN) of your oil is critical. The base added to the oil neutralizes the acids in the water so the oil does not break down quickly. If you only drive short distances and never get the oil hot enough to boil off the condensate and acids (they are ingested by the PCV system), your oil's service life suffers.

At idle speed, the temperatures do not come up quickly, the cam chains are taking the worst beating of their lives, and the condensate is quickly forming on top of the oil. If you get moving and put a small load on the engine, you can avoid all these things.

Quick Reply: '08 ISF 2nd gear slip on cold start