IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thoughts on possible new car, M4 or RC-F

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 03:10 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Some of you guys really like to dig up the small issues on BMW ~ every new car has problems. As another have said even the super GT3 had to be recalled and repaired but do you hear Porsche owners running and screaming I should have bought a Lexus?

My point is every new car has problems, just with internet and social media it all gets blown out of proportion. The guy with issue had BMW warranty to take care of him, he's not mad so why are you?

Buy the RC-F if you like a 2-door, keep the IS-F if you like a sedan. Both are nice cars.

For me I love the new M3, hate the M4's looks sorry.

As a smart buyer I have decided to give BMW one year to sort out their issues and buy the 2nd model year car similar to the last few M3's I've owned (all 2nd year cars). Btw, all my M3's were rock solid, no issues, no problems since I take care of my cars. My only gripe with my last 09 M3 was I bought it with the wrong tranny (DCT) and should have gotten a 3-pedal car.

P.S. I have driven the new M3, love the engine sound and exhaust note! So many people talk crap about the BMW but how many of you have actually driven it. As for the RC-F guess we can wait till it comes out.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, you are certainly entitled to yours. Blown transmissions and diffs are not small issue/nitpicking. That is just my opinion. As mentioned, two wrongs doesn't make a right. I know car manufactures have problems to worked out, especially first year. That doesn't make everything is acceptable. No, a Porsche GT3 owner isn't going to run and buy a Lexus, that was not what he looked for. He bought a Porsche so he should be entitled to enjoy his money spent. It's like saying that one company had made a crappy model and I'm entitled to make one too. I'm not saying the M3/4 is crap at all. I'm just saying that consumers have to have standard and hold the manufactures to a certain standard. That is the only way for them to get off their lazy butts and work hard to earn our money. Please don't even tell me that the owner of that broken DCT M4 isn't pissed, his first threads were full on sad and disappointment on how BMW and dealership treated him.

I actually hope the M3/4 turned out more reliable and kicking ***, this will force Lexus's hands to give a better product. Just like how the F eventually matched the e9x in term of lap time. And how the new IS350 is beating the 335i in magazine reviews, even on classy feels/handling (That is BMW bread and butter). Good competition brings out the best in everyone. We don't need the 70s and 80s where American car companies were turning out crappy cars because they don't have to fight for sales

I have nothing but love for the m5/m6 gc, I can say for certain that if Lexus isn't giving me a turbo V8 when I'm ready for a replacement for my F, I'll be looking at a nice cpo CLS63 or M6 GC
Old 12-31-14, 10:58 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem with the internet is people like to exemplify and bring every issue into the limelight like it's a big deal and everyone needs to drop what they are doing to listen. In reality it's the one problematic person that feels compelled to write the review on Yelp while 100 others are perfectly happy and go on with their lives. Internet forums are not much different.

Our driveway is family to both brands with perfect harmony. Wife has a CT200h and has put 70k on in two years of commuting. We love our RX as well totally bulletproof. I had zero problems with my dear IS-F and regret selling it for a e90 m3. (now daily drive an s4 temporarily)

I have driven the new RC-F and it's a total disappointment. Tiny rear seats for a dad with two toddlers in tow is a total let down. I already have enough 2-seater real performance cars in my stable. What I need is a true sport sedan that can be had with a manual tranny.

I plan to order the 2016 M3 sedan in mid June when the 2nd model year rolls around with a 6MT. Lexus really does not understand performance demographics as they keep disappointing many buyers who are in my situation.
Old 01-01-15, 06:56 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Lexus will come back with a new ISF down the road. Why? The RCF is probably not going to sell all that well, even though it was a nice effort, and the GSF is going to be out of reach for a lot of buyers. The ISF covers the largest demographic of people interested in a Lexus performance vehicle, and even though the F line has never been about volume sales having a sport sedan in the lineup seems to be the best way to draw new people in to the Lexus family.

It's going to be hard to find a lot of people willing to drop $70k on a car that's too small to have a lot of practicality, but too big and heavy to be a total sports car. If your goal is to track your car, why would you buy the RCF? But if you're a upper-middle class professional family man with kids, how do you make the RCF work for you?
Old 01-01-15, 12:03 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I would let the M4 sit out on the market for a little bit longer and see how reliable they are.

My friend's E90 was pretty good with no issues, he sold it with 40K on the odometer.
Old 01-01-15, 12:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

youre complaining a coupe has difficulty fitting two toddlers is a let down when you previously came from sedans and planning to get a sedan in the future regardless? Not sure on what you were expecting exactly from the RC? RC should not be the car that you should be looking at to put 2 child seats in. GS-F maybe up your alley then.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-01-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-01-15, 02:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dig the RCF, BUT just like the ISF they made a car that is competitive but not a game changer. If they want to be taken seriously by the people who shop these types of cars they need to blow us away. THINK GTR !!! When they came out with it the car literally destroyed the competition. It literally raised the bar. The GTR is a pig ( like the RCF ) and it still killed everything out there. The ISF and RCF, although great performance cars, are truly more what I like to call a , " me too car ".

I will stick with Lexus for the reliability and overall ownership experience, but I still know an M3 or M4 are quicker and are better track cars . What Lexus needs to do is give us our cake and allow us to eat it too. Just like BMW will ALWAYS make sure their M cars are the fastest in class and best dynamically ( just like Ferrari ), Lexus needs to do the same . Especially if they expect to sell anything in Europe. Their UK sales and a huge joke......seriously a joke.

It would be a HUGE mistake for Lexus to deny the demographic who buys these cars. People who buy 65-70k cars are not always single and in their 20s. LOL They are in the late 30s-40s-and 50s and have chosen to procreate. Its the young guys who buy them used for the most part . A 467 HP ISF would be a great vehicle to have available.......and it needs to be faster than the competition, not just fast. Bring it Lexus. We know you have it in you. BRING IT !!

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-02-15 at 09:49 PM.