IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thoughts on possible new car, M4 or RC-F

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 09:37 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thoughts on possible new car, M4 or RC-F

Just curious to see how many people are looking at this scenario. I currently have a deposit down for an RC-F, whenever they decide to release it, but was also looking quite seriously at the new M4. I personally really like the exterior styling, the power/tq values look outstanding, and the option of a proper 6 speed is intriguing. I also like how BMW is "throwing" in the 4 years of maintenance and care for the car in with the purchase. I had way too many problems with my e46 M3... Also not sold on the interior of the M4, to me it already looks quite dated in comparison with the new Lexus offerings (that RC-F dash is going to be amazing) and what Audi currently is selling.

I am still no where set on parting ways with my current F, I absolutely love this car, only put the deposit down on the RC-F to assure I could at least take a proper look at it and decide if that's the route I want to go. Anyone else planning on shopping these two cars? It would be nice to have a good idea of where the RC-F price is going to land too, but I suppose that will come in time.

Thanks in advance for your viewpoints.
Old 07-17-14, 10:08 AM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of those two, I'd personally stay in my IS-F. RC-F is not enough of a technical improvement over the IS-F and is forecast to be quite heavy. For me, the nice interior/tech on the RC-F about balance out with its goofy exterior.

M4, OTOH, is a monster. But I've sworn off new BMWs (especially turbocharged ones) after a nightmare experience with a N54 135i. I'm not confident that BMW has fully figured out FI engine development, and their overall reliability is just not great. Even if you have a long warranty, being in the shop every month sucks. Plus the M4 with the specs I like is a nearly $80k car.
Old 07-17-14, 10:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

considering the M4 already has a post of a blown transmission at 400 miles I would say RCF.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003637

Just another day at BMW> Ultimate driving machine has to drive to be called the ultimate driving machine. LMAO
Old 07-17-14, 10:41 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were in your shoes I would stick with Lexus and go for the RCF, that is if I absolutely had to part ways with my ISF. Sure it may not be too different from the ISF stat-wise but it still has that neck-breaking element.

The M4 is a beast no question, but as others have mentioned in other threads it might be a better idea to look out for possible issues and see if it's worth the hassle if problems do arise.

If you plan on modding extensively, the M4 may be the one for you.
Old 07-17-14, 10:55 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're gonna leave the car in stock form Id say go with the RC. If you want the faster car that you can easily break 500whp with go with the F82.
Old 07-17-14, 11:12 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
considering the M4 already has a post of a blown transmission at 400 miles I would say RCF.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003637

Just another day at BMW> Ultimate driving machine has to drive to be called the ultimate driving machine. LMAO
Wow, I haven't even started to really research the car, outside of basic automotive publications, in which BMW usually does no wrong.... That being said, even the mighty 911's (GT3s) have had issues in this current generation of models.

I'll keep a closer eye on the issues, but I am not even to the point of seriously being on the fence. It would be hard to part with the F, and give up the reliability of I have enjoyed, among all the other great qualities of the car. I would say I would be most serious about the RC-F at this point, with final price and size of the back seats (for car seats when needed) are the two things that could quickly derail my interest.

Thanks for the heads up on the transmission issue.
Old 07-17-14, 11:19 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Wow, I haven't even started to really research the car, outside of basic automotive publications, in which BMW usually does no wrong.... That being said, even the mighty 911's (GT3s) have had issues in this current generation of models.

I'll keep a closer eye on the issues, but I am not even to the point of seriously being on the fence. It would be hard to part with the F, and give up the reliability of I have enjoyed, among all the other great qualities of the car. I would say I would be most serious about the RC-F at this point, with final price and size of the back seats (for car seats when needed) are the two things that could quickly derail my interest.

Thanks for the heads up on the transmission issue.
Differential blown at 200 miles, plus another DCT blown at 400 miles in the UK. I'll link the threads later
Old 07-17-14, 11:21 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay with Lexus just because of the awesome experience we all have had with our ISF's...great reliability and very good performance...but like one poster said, how much modding do you want to do (performance wise) as the M4 would lend itself more to that??? However, I am not totally sold on the RCF yet being that much better or cooler than MYISF...expecially with the mods I have...heck at the projected $70K and then do wheels and a few other mods you are at $80K easially...I think I will just stay with MYISF...but good luck if you decide to go for something else!
Old 07-17-14, 11:24 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

AC problem after 1 week
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1009769
2nd DTC tranny broken after 400 miles too
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1011285
Rear diff after just 200 miles
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1010331

This doesn't look good at all
Old 07-17-14, 11:27 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

M4. I can't get over the exterior of the RCF. It's butt freaking ugly from almost every angle IMO.

And two cars having issues with the tranny/diff's do not make some vast proof of a massive reliability issue with the entire line up. Have we forgotten almost every 08-10 ISF had to have the waterpump replaced? No car is perfect but the data and reports from new owners is far from conclusive to prove any reliability issues with the new M4 thus far.
Old 07-17-14, 11:34 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by daedalus
M4. I can't get over the exterior of the RCF. It's butt freaking ugly from almost every angle IMO.

And two cars having issues with the tranny/diff's do not make some vast proof of a massive reliability issue with the entire line up. Have we forgotten almost every 08-10 ISF had to have the waterpump replaced? No car is perfect but the data and reports from new owners is far from conclusive to prove any reliability issues with the new M4 thus far.
Leaky water pump is not any where near the same level as a broken tranny after just 400 miles. You can't and shouldn't accept that your brand new 80k car might stranded on the side of the road after 400 miles. There are already 2 cases of broken tranny reported, Stuff like this shouldn't happen with just 400 miles, a new software update for the DCT apparantly. The first guy reported that his new transmission with the software update doesn't feel right at all. Granted that the water pump affected a larger number of F cars. I'm not saying Lexus are trouble free, just much less headache than it's competitors
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1009585

Last edited by MK4Sup_isF; 07-17-14 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-17-14, 11:35 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MYISF
I would stay with Lexus just because of the awesome experience we all have had with our ISF's...great reliability and very good performance...but like one poster said, how much modding do you want to do (performance wise) as the M4 would lend itself more to that??? However, I am not totally sold on the RCF yet being that much better or cooler than MYISF...expecially with the mods I have...heck at the projected $70K and then do wheels and a few other mods you are at $80K easially...I think I will just stay with MYISF...but good luck if you decide to go for something else!
Oh I hear ya. It is hard to beat this car, with headers, intake, exhaust and suspension. The smile/drive ratio is as high as any other car I have driven.

I think the appeal of the M4 is great on paper. Huge HP/TQ numbers, a proper close ratio 6-spd, great, IMO styling, a storied racing pedigree, and trademark M handling. It all sounds great. It's once these other issues come to light, and the memories of past M's, that the enthusiasm starts to wane a little. Again, these are initial reports, it has yet to be seen how widespread the problems are, and I am sure they will be rectified quite quickly, one would hope

With the RC-F, there still is much to be proven. I love the styling, except for that chrome/metal piece on the rear window trim. I think the interior looks incredible, those seats look amazing. I love the prospect of all the handling tech that went into this car too, the additional HP/TQ numbers over the IS-F are nice as well. That being said, will it be appreciably faster than my F plus bolt ons? Don't know at this point.

Slightly off topic, but given that engine is similar, does anyone think that the current IS-F bolt ons will fit the RC-F?

Thanks for the discussion guys.
Old 07-17-14, 11:35 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus

This is true but you have to look at the facts. BMW's reliability leaves much to be desired in the past. But seriously, a defective AC unit, differential and transmission after less than 1K miles on the car? I mean damn, there are a few blown transmissions and differentials from Lexus but that is due to extreme wear and tear and it has usually happened on ISF's upwards of 70K miles. Having this many issues with the M4 early on is definitely concerning for anyone looking for reliability and speed in one package
Old 07-17-14, 12:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

few reasons:
V8 >>>>> 6TT to me, not fond of this turboing everything trend
New M sounds horrible on the outside and sterile/bland on the inside. Refer to previous point. RCF will sound ridiculously good with bolt ons.
M4 looks so pedestrian compared to the RC, nothing on the road looks like an RC while the M3/M4 look like the regular 3/4
With all the BS CAFE and pedestrian crash standards, V8s are going to be endangered, RCF maybe one of the last performance V8s from Japan, tihs engine is the only japanese performance V8 I can think of.
Engine and transmission have been proven highly successfully in the ISF for durability and reliability.
TVD and digital gauges

RCF just looks like a car an axe murderer would buy and thats what I personally would look for in my next car. Nasty V8 and the looks to go with it. RCF looks very impolite and thats great.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 07-17-14 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 12:18 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not a fan of the spindle grill in the new L's, but the RCF looks like a very nice car otherwise.

Once you take delivery, hit me up. I'll fly up and pay for gas on the maiden voyage!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on possible new car, M4 or RC-F