IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thoughts on possible new car, M4 or RC-F

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 10:31 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
You gave me example of the GT3 to make me feel better? Lol no thanks. It's like someone had done a horrible crime and then points fingers that another person did it too. Some issues are tolerable. Blown tranny and differential at 400 miles on two cars and 200 miles on one aren't "some" issues. Those are MAJOR issues. I'm not sure about you but I don't want to know that the car I just spent 80k on has the potential if leaving me stranded within the first few days of ownership. Talk about taking dump on my honeymoon
Welp if it does turn out to be a wide spread issue like the fuel pumps with the N54 powered cars I hope that they nip it in the butt and fix them, something that took them years to honor with the fuel pumps.
Old 07-19-14, 10:51 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are going to modify the car and want it to be much faster than stock, get the M3/4. If you want longevity and a great all around sports sedan (and a great exhaust note), get the RCF. I haven't heard the M3 in person yet, but it sounds unexciting at best from videos I've seen/heard. IMO they are both good looking cars, albeit in different ways.

Last edited by Gymkata; 07-19-14 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-19-14, 06:10 PM
cooldude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW cars are known to have tons of problem, if you get the m4 you should probably expect to have mayn issues ans expressive repairs. While Lexus's never usually have problems. When my dad was in his 20s he was very poor and he was living in his car, he bought a LS400 and it went 230k miles without a single problem except for a broken glove box. I personally would chose the RCF over the m4. But if i were you, i would save the money you have or invest it, the RCF and the m4 arent really that much better performance wise than the ISF. I plan to stick with my ISF to atleast 150k miles (Another 105k), i love the car. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-19-14, 07:38 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

I like both but honestly, i would choose the m4 just because of the exterior. saw one at a promotional thing at a local bmw, looks good. only reason im not choosing rcf is because i have an ISF, but this is a hard one. RCF is so nice...exterior, interior, engine bay, etc. M4 is same. since you are purchasing new, i wouldnt care if the m4 is unreliable, since repair is free and bmw has a good car loan program. plus im sure you would trade the m4 before warranty ends like most people.
Old 07-19-14, 08:19 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RCF ftw...go rare. Everybody has a BMW, which makes them incredibly boring IMO
Old 07-20-14, 10:51 AM
BlackISFtx
Rookie

Go with the v8's. Enjoy them while you can b/c it feels like these engines are going to be the thing of the past.
Old 07-21-14, 08:57 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Most people on here will be biased because we have the ISF. Just like BMW owners, most people on here believe that what they have is the best. Well the M3 isn't the best and the ISF isn't the best. It's what's best for you!!!! Having owned an E90 M3, I can't wait to go back to BMW. I loved my M3 and hated it when the wife basically forced me to let her go. She bought me a Ford Raptor so it was my turn. She wanted an IS but I said if we are trading in the M3, we are getting the ISF. My M3 pushed very hard and handled like a dream. Plus the maintenance plan makes life easy!!!! IMO, the M3 handles so much better then the ISF. My M3 was stock like my ISF. Both cars have the same tires and my ISF under steers and over steers a lot!!! I am trying to get a new M3 but now the wife wants a Panamera.

Anyway, it's hard comparing the RCF to the M4 because there is no testing data for the RCF yet, or none that I could find except that the RCF has a 450 hp V8. The M4 has a 425 twin turbo 6, but 0-60 in 3.9-4.2 depending on where you read and depending on DCT or manual. Lots of CF parts, not just inserts in interior to include a CF driveshaft. Best of all the M4 has 18-20/28-30 mpg...... So I would say grab the M4. Me personally I like the 4 doors so I would grab the M3 expect ally since the numbers are almost identical between the M4 and the M3.

Last edited by CCLSVTF; 07-21-14 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-21-14, 09:14 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
RCF ftw...go rare. Everybody has a BMW, which makes them incredibly boring IMO
Really? Any evidence to support your comment? Because I could say there are as many Lexus' on the road compared to BMW's. I think I actually see more IS' on the road then anything. Especially now since the "F Sport" came out. Now they have put that badge on every model and now everyone thinks they have an "F." I even got into an argument with an older man who thought his IS 250 F Sport was the same car as my F. I politely explained the differences and he refused to believe it. I popped my hood and showed him the V8 and he said I must have installed that engine because he owns the real "F." I just smiled and drove away. Even several dumbass' at my local Lexus dealership don't even know what a real F is anymore..... But anyway, if you research sales reports between Lexus and BMW, you will find that for 2014, Lexus sales are up 42% from last year and that Lexus can not produce enough 250's or 350's at the moment while BMW sales are only up 7%....
Old 07-21-14, 09:15 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by BlackISFtx
Go with the v8's. Enjoy them while you can b/c it feels like these engines are going to be the thing of the past.
Why? If you can get more power and better efficiency from a turbo 6 compared to a V8, why stick with a V8??? Silly statement......

Last edited by CCLSVTF; 07-21-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-21-14, 09:26 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by cooldude
BMW cars are known to have tons of problem, if you get the m4 you should probably expect to have mayn issues ans expressive repairs. While Lexus's never usually have problems. When my dad was in his 20s he was very poor and he was living in his car, he bought a LS400 and it went 230k miles without a single problem except for a broken glove box. I personally would chose the RCF over the m4. But if i were you, i would save the money you have or invest it, the RCF and the m4 arent really that much better performance wise than the ISF. I plan to stick with my ISF to atleast 150k miles (Another 105k), i love the car. Just my 2 cents.
Do you have any personal experience? Have you ever owned a BMW? How do you know BMW's have tons of problems. ISF's break down just as much as BMW's. Also, do you realize that BMW warranty is good until 50,000 miles with the option to buy the extended warranty to 100,000 miles. Does Lexus offer that???? So your statement of,"Expensive repairs" is just stupid because if there were issues, that crazy thing called a warranty would cover it....

Lastly, what performance data are you looking at???? Even Lexus states that the 0-60 time for the ISF is 4.6 seconds. If you stick with manufacturer estimates, BMW estimates that the M4's 0-60 is 3.9 seconds with the same DCT auto trans as the Lexus. You should obviously research before commenting because it really makes you look like and idiot!!!!!
Old 07-21-14, 09:30 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by CCLSVTF
Why? If you can get more power and better efficiency from a turbo 6 compared to a V8, why stick with a V8??? Silly statement......

Not silly.

V8 because...

- It is smoother than a 6
- Sounds better than a 6
- Is theoretically going to last longer (less stress on individual cylinders)

Its not just about power, its about the full experience for me. A 4 cylinder can put down more power down and be more efficient than a V8 too.
Old 07-21-14, 09:46 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Do you have any personal experience? Have you ever owned a BMW? How do you know BMW's have tons of problems. ISF's break down just as much as BMW's.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ty-survey.html

Engine reliability - top 10 brands according to Warranty Direct
1. Honda (failure rate: 1 in 344)
2. Toyota (failure rate: 1 in 171)
3. Mercedes-Benz (failure rate: 1 in 119)
4. Volvo (failure rate: 1 in 111)
5. Jaguar (failure rate: 1 in 103)
6. Lexus (failure rate: 1 in 101)
7. Fiat (failure rate: 1 in 85)
8. Ford (failure rate: 1 in 80)
9. Nissan (failure rate: 1 in 76)
10. Land Rover (failure rate: 1 in 72)

Engine reliability - bottom 10 brands according to Warranty Direct
1. MG Rover (failure rate: 1 in 13)
2. Audi (failure rate: 1 in 27)
3. Mini (failure rate: 1 in 40)
4. Saab (failure rate: 1 in 40)
5. Vauxhall (failure rate: 1 in 41)
6. Peugeot (failure rate: 1 in 44)
7. BMW (failure rate: 1 in 45)
8. Renault (failure rate: 1 in 46)
9. Volkswagen (failure rate: 1 in 52)
10. Mitsubishi (failure rate: 1 in 59)
Old 07-21-14, 10:07 AM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Do you have any personal experience? Have you ever owned a BMW? How do you know BMW's have tons of problems. ISF's break down just as much as BMW's.
My 135i averaged a trip to the dealer about every 1.25 months until I lemon lawed it. Over 30 total days in the shop in less than a year and well under 10k miles. The final breakdown was a ruptured high pressure fuel line on the highway--literally could have killed me if the fuel had ignited.

I've had my IS-F for about two years now, and it has had a single mechanical repair--a noisy belt tensioner that wasn't causing any drivability issues.
Old 07-21-14, 10:14 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by LionelHutz
My 135i averaged a trip to the dealer about every 1.25 months until I lemon lawed it. Over 30 total days in the shop in less than a year and well under 10k miles. The final breakdown was a ruptured high pressure fuel line on the highway--literally could have killed me if the fuel had ignited.

I've had my IS-F for about two years now, and it has had a single mechanical repair--a noisy belt tensioner that wasn't causing any drivability issues.
Well I bought my M3 brand new, 0 issues with it. Lexus was 2 years old, 12000 miles on it ams since then, headlight seal went out, windshield wiper sensor failed, then nav went out, power seat memory buttons failed to work, then it failed to start. Every car regardless of manufacturer will have good cars and those bad ones. The cost of owning machines but from my own experience, no one else's, I had better luck with BMW and not Lexus.
Old 07-21-14, 10:20 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by Vervish
Not silly.

V8 because...

- It is smoother than a 6
- Sounds better than a 6
- Is theoretically going to last longer (less stress on individual cylinders)

Its not just about power, its about the full experience for me. A 4 cylinder can put down more power down and be more efficient than a V8 too.
Well with all due resect, I feel it's a matter of personal preference. My buddy has a new S4 and his supercharged 6 is so much smoother then my ISF!!! Sound of a V8 is definitely different but some like the sound of a 6. I look at performance not sound. If I can get better performance, reliability, and mpg in a turbo 6 over a V8, that's what I would go with. On the flip side, if I could get better reliability, performance, and mpg with a turbo 6 then with a V8, I would chose a V8 but I don't believe that technology exits anymore. Which is why cars are dropping cylinders and adding turbos. F1 is now running turbo 6's along with electric motor assistance and they are faster then the V8 NA F1's from last year.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on possible new car, M4 or RC-F