IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Might be that time to let her go =(

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 10:14 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Polkman
There's some certified genesis r spec 2012s here around 28k. I currently own a 2012 isf and not interested in owning the later year versions.
Have you considered refinancing the F? I'm just throwing numbers out here, but I'm guessing insurance and gas is around $325 total ($75 insurance, $250 gas), so you're saying (from your other post) that your current payment is b/t $900-1000. Is that about right? And what kind of terms are you currently on (i.e. years, rate, loan amount)?
Old 07-16-14, 10:50 AM
Polkman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cremaster
at least in asian tradition, guests normally bring cash as gifts. my wife and i (3 yrs ago next month), only had a few items on our registry, so, most people brought money. if you go real cheap on the wedding, some people MAKE money. all in all, we broke even. so, my suggestion is to keep the F and have a "traditional asian" wedding.
Already planning one lol. She has that Brazilian Filipino Japanese blood lol.

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Have you considered refinancing the F? I'm just throwing numbers out here, but I'm guessing insurance and gas is around $325 total ($75 insurance, $250 gas), so you're saying (from your other post) that your current payment is b/t $900-1000. Is that about right? And what kind of terms are you currently on (i.e. years, rate, loan amount)?
My insurance is about 200$ full coverage is a must down here in Miami. I got rear ended by an uninsured driver about 2 years ago, so my full coverage insurance is a must. My payments are just under 900. I've ran the numbers at the local dealer and it seemed like refinancing would only save me 200. I am still running through my options at the moment.
Old 07-16-14, 11:00 AM
mrkim
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OR you can get an RC-F instead of an IS-F hint hint
Old 07-16-14, 11:04 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy crap, now I see why you want to unload the F. $1300/mo in auto-related expenses?!?!?
Old 07-16-14, 11:30 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

polkman,

congrats on getting married.. I was eyeballing R-spec 5.0 also. good price, it seems to be a robust piece from my research. I don't think its on the same level as IS-F although it is had for much cheaper.
Old 07-16-14, 11:54 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

My insurance is about 200$ full coverage is a must down here in Miami. I got rear ended by an uninsured driver about 2 years ago, so my full coverage insurance is a must. My payments are just under 900. I've ran the numbers at the local dealer and it seemed like refinancing would only save me 200. I am still running through my options at the moment.
$200?!?! Sheesh! I'm paying $154 (full coverage, needed here too just like Miami) for both mine AND my wife's car, and that includes a couple of speeding tickets!

Don't refi through a dealer or a large bank; always go credit union. I've got mine at 1.79% on a 6-year note, so my pmt is about $575. See what options some credit unions down there have for you. And since this car will hold its value VERY WELL, do not be too concerned about any negative equity should you elect to re-extend the term.

And let me say this too from a subjective standpoint. I was in a similar situation as you and made the same considerations. When it came down to it, I asked myself, "Is saving $200 a month worth getting rid of the emotional high I get every time I start my car? Or every time some asks me about my car? Or every time someone drives by with that 'what the hell is THAT' look on their face?" .........the answer was no, it wasn't worth it.

Last edited by melbitoast; 07-16-14 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 12:12 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Refinance car.

Find places to cut costs elsewhere...Its funny now when I hear people complain about thier cable bills, and they ask me who I'm with and I say "I have no cable."
Old 07-16-14, 01:51 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat, except opposite. Got married, bought a house and before we had our first kid, I got the F.... now that we have two kids, the F might have to go and "might" have to start looking for an SUV aka something practical for the whole fam. So much crap to haul around when you have two kids! Who knew?!
Old 07-16-14, 01:56 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
I'm kind of in the same boat, except opposite. Got married, bought a house and before we had our first kid, I got the F.... now that we have two kids, the F might have to go and "might" have to start looking for an SUV aka something practical for the whole fam. So much crap to haul around when you have two kids! Who knew?!
nononononononononononono, the wife gets the nice SUV, you keep the F. That's the arrangement my wife and I made b/c she also loves the F.
Old 07-16-14, 02:31 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Geez, you guys pay up the *** for full coverage. I pay $86 a month, I do have a $1,000 deductible but even at $500 I was paying right at $100 a month.

As for the 5.0 R-Spec... you'll be disappointed coming from the F. It's obviously bigger, heavier, and more floaty. The performance numbers aren't even close. However, its very comfortable and it has nice amenities. Really just depends on what you are looking for.
Old 07-16-14, 04:25 PM
tronim
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

My insurance is about 200$....
My payments are just under 900....
Wow...$900/month for a car payment? I don't mean to be preachy or a dbag, but in preparation for the wedding and house, there's nothing wrong with driving a reliable beater for 2 or 3 years and just banking this amount of money. Continuing to "keep up with the Jones' " may come back badly to haunt you years from now.
Old 07-16-14, 04:56 PM
todd4566
Pit Crew

Wow that payment is brutal. I guess I'm sort of lucky.. my insurance is under $100 a month and my car payment is under $500. I've thought about trading mine in too (in the final stages of buying a house) but the car has low miles and runs great so doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Good luck!
Old 07-16-14, 05:18 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
You would be better off selling the F, buying a used Civic until you buy your house, then pay off bills and buy something else later on..
this....... how is this saving any money to buy a house etc? this will work if you have equity in the "F"
Old 07-16-14, 05:45 PM
Polkman
Driver

Originally Posted by melbitoast
$200?!?! Sheesh! I'm paying $154 (full coverage, needed here too just like Miami) for both mine AND my wife's car, and that includes a couple of speeding tickets!

Don't refi through a dealer or a large bank; always go credit union. I've got mine at 1.79% on a 6-year note, so my pmt is about $575. See what options some credit unions down there have for you. And since this car will hold its value VERY WELL, do not be too concerned about any negative equity should you elect to re-extend the term.

And let me say this too from a subjective standpoint. I was in a similar situation as you and made the same considerations. When it came down to it, I asked myself, "Is saving $200 a month worth getting rid of the emotional high I get every time I start my car? Or every time some asks me about my car? Or every time someone drives by with that 'what the hell is THAT' look on their face?" .........the answer was no, it wasn't worth it.

Whats odd is 2 years ago when i first bought the car, my insurance was at $135, Now it jumped up to $193 with the only accident was due to a uninsured motorist rear ending me. I can also say i have not received any tickets either. Maybe its time to switch insurance companies.

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Refinance car.

Find places to cut costs elsewhere...Its funny now when I hear people complain about thier cable bills, and they ask me who I'm with and I say "I have no cable."
Cable is included where i live so i guess i cant do that now =P

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
Geez, you guys pay up the *** for full coverage. I pay $86 a month, I do have a $1,000 deductible but even at $500 I was paying right at $100 a month.

As for the 5.0 R-Spec... you'll be disappointed coming from the F. It's obviously bigger, heavier, and more floaty. The performance numbers aren't even close. However, its very comfortable and it has nice amenities. Really just depends on what you are looking for.

The thing is, i understand what i'm getting into. I know that it will not be even be close to comparable to the F. I just need to find a car that i won't hate driving, and the genesis 5.0 (which is one of the options that i am looking at) would probably be better than looking into an es350 etc..My fiance drives a ct200 and everytime i drive it, i have the urge to drive it in a ditch...