IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF 1 piece drive shaft why not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 04:08 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ISF 1 piece drive shaft why not?

Is there any reason why I should not or can not use a ! piece drive shaft? , was wondering why no one has not made a aluminum or carbon one, I went from steel to a aluminum on a previous car and was a noticeable difference (car was a manual) and was like a 13 to 15 lb difference in weight between the two of them( both was 1 piece shafts)....with the ISF being a 2 piece shaft its gotta be lots more weight than a single aluminum or carbon
Old 07-15-14, 06:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Check out this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...riveshaft.html

Lou
Old 07-15-14, 06:34 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I found that too in the search , but no one really says a reason ( other than being without a DS for 6 weeks) to loan out for R&D , is there anything special about the ISF DS, I know there is places that are local ( to me) that could make a DS out of aluminum, so anything anyone could tell me more about it would be great.
Old 07-15-14, 11:00 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no one has made one because there aren't that many people willing to buy it/ small market for it? that's what I gathered from the Lou's link.
Old 07-16-14, 06:42 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy one if it was available.
Old 07-16-14, 06:46 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an is350 DS out getting manufactured in CF right now.

I also have a spare IS-F DS for sale (in classifieds) if any of you guys would like it to send out to have a CF one produced. I can provide details and a contact for the company I'm working with as well..
Old 07-16-14, 08:46 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
I have an is350 DS out getting manufactured in CF right now.

I also have a spare IS-F DS for sale (in classifieds) if any of you guys would like it to send out to have a CF one produced. I can provide details and a contact for the company I'm working with as well..
How much does it cost to have one made? There is a local one to me that makes CF driveshaft. I just don't know how much they will charge for a one off
Old 07-16-14, 08:58 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
How much does it cost to have one made? There is a local one to me that makes CF driveshaft. I just don't know how much they will charge for a one off
It depends on the company. I went with a well known shop that's been making driveshafts and axles for years on 1000+ hp cars including the Supra.

I believe $899-$1250 is going to be the msrp. It will be on the higher end depending on what type of joints they decide are best suited for these cars.

The price and technology will be the same for the ISF but they will still need an ISF shaft for R&D.
Old 07-16-14, 09:43 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
It depends on the company. I went with a well known shop that's been making driveshafts and axles for years on 1000+ hp cars including the Supra.

I believe $899-$1250 is going to be the msrp. It will be on the higher end depending on what type of joints they decide are best suited for these cars.

The price and technology will be the same for the ISF but they will still need an ISF shaft for R&D.
yeah this shop is a high end shop that makes driveshaft for high hp car. I do have one on my Supra. I just don't know if they are interested in making one for the ISF since it is so limited in number. I'm not even sure that there is a market for more than couple of them at a time
Old 10-26-14, 03:44 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd buy a carbon if you can get one, I have one on my mk3 supra and it was a world of difference.
Old 10-26-14, 05:55 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is actually a serious thought of mine. I have had custom drive shafts made in the past at a local shop here in houston and have had great luck. I noticed that these are a 2 piece design and has a rubberish isolator in between the ds and rear end. I cannot cut a consistent light at the drag strip due to this. so I will eventually see if the rear ds end will bold directly to the rear end and if it does i will have a 1 piece made. if it doesnt, then a custom "spacer" will have to be made and balanced to take place of that rubberish isolator thingie. again not a problem, I got hookups at a machine shop.
Old 10-26-14, 07:24 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Even my supra and cressida had a two piece design like the isf just no isolator, there are isolator a on other lexus models (i think the early sc or gs models, maybe later I'm not sure right off hand) I really don't see why it can't be done.
Old 10-26-14, 07:52 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A good friend of mine had three CF driveshafts in his Supra. All three broke in less than 100 miles because he had no driveline dampening of any kind. Since the giubo is removed, what remains to dampen shock in the driveline?
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
My question is more about the way the F transmission works in manual mode. There isn't anything soft except the giubos because the torque converter is locked up, and there is no internal damping in the gearbox. So I am concerned it will behave the way Dave Mashour's Supra did. This is unique to the F, because most clutches have dampening springs or elastomers in the friction disc, and automatics don't normally stay locked on decel, and that's when you'll have your problem.

^ I'd listen to Lance on this one. Makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-26-14, 08:11 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Ah ok.. Well would mating the ends to aluminum shafts be an option you think?
Old 10-27-14, 01:25 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Call Frank (ext 201) at the driveshaftshop. 1-800-564-2244. The shaft they did for an is350 is amazing....AMAZING. The Isf shaft can be done with various options.

Edit- quick review thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post8765281

Last edited by mikellucci; 10-27-14 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: ISF 1 piece drive shaft why not?