IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

stuff like this really pisses me off

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 02:44 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stuff like this really pisses me off

FML ........ I cant afford a new windshield right now either. so looks like itll get "repaired" for now.

Old 07-15-14, 02:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

just ahppened to me 3 days ago. Safelite is coming out to replace the glass and the cowl piece at the botton this saturday. Oem glass was $962. After market was $250. Needless to say I went with after market considering this is the 8th windshield I will have replaced in 12 years
Old 07-15-14, 02:54 PM
itsmejon
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch I'm glad i purchased full windshield coverage from my insurance company. Almost had to use it the other day when a huge rock flew towards me on the freeway. Make sure you get it repaired soon. My other car i waited a couple days now its split all the way through the middle.
Old 07-15-14, 02:59 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

tomorrow after work, I made an appointment already
Old 07-15-14, 03:32 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Same thing happened to me a few months back, after installing a new windscreen I also installed a protective film from the outside to help with chips and cracks.....so far so good although the plastic does eventually scratch after a few months of driving in harsh conditions.
Old 07-15-14, 03:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I replaced my windshield back in November of 2012. My experience was posted in another thread at that time:

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I just replaced the windshield on my F. My insurance company was not going to do OEM because of the age of my car, a 2008. But after a day of negotiating and with the help of my agent, I got the OEM stuff, but with a twist. I have built a relationship with the parts manager at my dealer, I actually started the relationship before he became the parts manager. I have found over my long life time, that building these kinds of relationships with businesses and folks who you deal with makes life a lot easier. But, who you choose to build that relationship with is very important.

Anyway, I could get the windshield at a discounted price, cheaper than State Farm could. So they agreed to pay me the out of pocket costs for the windshield, if I bought it directly, and they would pay the installer directly for the installation. The only issue was, since the installer was not doing the install, they would not take responsibility for moving the glass. So, I had to have it installed in the dealer's parking lot. Not really a big deal. So, persistence here and an understanding agent along with knowing the parts manager all paid off in getting me the OEM windshield I wanted.

Now, as regards to Pilkington, I noticed some of the OEM windshields on the dealer's lot were marked Lexus, Pilkington and I asked the installer about this. He told me that Pilkington has two plants, one for OEM glass and one for aftermarket. He told me that they are not the same, but they are good quality for aftermarket stuff. The best glass is OEM. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but, who knows.

My glass is not Pilkington but was marked exactly like the glass they removed.

Lou
State Farm ended paying me $935.86 for the windshield and all the necessary moldings. They paid the Glass company $172.31 for the labor and other materials for the install. Those prices include $80.00 in sales taxes.

If it happens again, I'll put up the same fight.

Lou
Old 07-15-14, 05:14 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn sorry man I got a small chip in my windshield a few days after I bought my F , luckily it's so small it never was an issue just upset me that lexus would use such poor quality glass whereas my last Honda would take hits from huge rocks and never chipped.
Old 07-15-14, 07:26 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

In FL, like many other states, there is no deductible for a front windshield replacement.
Old 07-15-14, 07:58 PM
v8sten
Pole Position

there is in texas
Old 07-15-14, 08:15 PM
DansonISF
Pole Position

thats the reason why i have 2 cars one for weekend less drive on freeway and one for daily driven everywhere LOL beside if you dont want to paid for that much from dealer demanding i think is250 and is350 are using the same glass like our cars why dont you check on junk yards and see if they're having any?
Old 07-15-14, 10:16 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine replaced in AZ with OEM glass. Free windshield replacement is nice! Look into adding it to your policy.
Old 07-15-14, 10:35 PM
itsmejon
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
I got mine replaced in AZ with OEM glass. Free windshield replacement is nice! Look into adding it to your policy.
When i was adding my F to the policy they offered it to me and after i seen what oem glass goes for i signed up instantly.
Old 07-15-14, 10:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I replaced my windshield back in November of 2012. My experience was posted in another thread at that time:

State Farm ended paying me $935.86 for the windshield and all the necessary moldings. They paid the Glass company $172.31 for the labor and other materials for the install. Those prices include $80.00 in sales taxes.

Lou
Lou would you mind telling me what you said to get them oem glass. GEICO said they do after market glass and I would have to pay the difference. Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Did you put a fight as well or did they just do oem ? Thanks.

I have free replacement but they only do after market. They said if there are any issues or waviness then they will replace with oem. At the rate that I have them replaced I havent complained about non oem glass nor have I had any issues . When I bought my F it had after market glass

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-15-14 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 08:13 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Insurance company always give us the aftermarket ones but we have to claim for the OEM . It happened to me on my GX not on my F and i got the OEM windshield replaced with the insurance's payment.
Old 07-16-14, 04:39 PM
tronim
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Lou
I picked up my F in late Feb. On the 200+ miles drive back home I noticed a whistling sound. After dropping the car straight off to my buddies shop for planned tires, brakes, water pump and thorough checking, he informed me of this models $900 OEM windshield craziness.
So apparently the previous owner recently had the windshield replaced, but the installer failed to replace the left and right moldings and trim. It didn't seat as good as it should, causing the whistling noise.
I can clearly see this aftermarket glass is much weaker and less resistant to rock chips, and as I'm w/ State Farm as well, I thought I didn't have to worry much if I'm gonna end up spending $500 deductible (damn State of NC) to replace the windshield and trim- I had planned to go straight to OEM....but now after reading the above, I'm worried they're gonna put up a fight when that time comes.

Quick Reply: stuff like this really pisses me off