IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Widen stock wheel by two inches, issues, input?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 01:37 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abohler
I called and talked to weldcraft. They seem really legit and sign off on their work. They do a lot of stuff for drag cars, and that is my intention with the F. I just keep getting the same response that there are going to be offset issues. They quoted me $240 a wheel and I want to do it really bad. I am just concerned I will get them back and they won't fit. I am really torn. I just want the stock face on an 11 wide wheel with 305's for the rear so I can hook up from a dig. I am wondering if anyone can advise if spacers would work to account for this.
You can extend the inside by 2" and then run 20-25mm hub centric spacers, cheapest route. There are many horror stories with spacers so get the bester brand hub-centric ones.
Old 07-14-14, 02:28 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you guys are all missing the biggest point as to why this is a wasted effort. 305s on the rear are not going to hook any better. I have been running a 305 PSS for 3 years so I can say first hand it will still rip the tires into 3rd gear. I have not had any better 60' times at the drag strip regardless of tire pressure, how hot the tire is or my damper settings.
The 305 tire is going to shine in the turns much more then a straight line.
If you really want to keep the stock wheels and hook better then get some R888 tires and make changes to the static camber settings, dampers and spring rates.
I think you'll get a lot more improvement there and the car will still have the stock appearance that you want.
Old 07-14-14, 05:40 PM
RSWill
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now days, no one is really catching anyone off guard unless you have a bunch of unexperienced types running around your area that know nothing about custom performance mods. Although there are some folks that automatically assume that there is no way in hell a cars factory HP/Tq can be altered.. LOL

I don't underestimate any car on the road these days. So much modding going on you just never know what anyone has under there anymore. Even I would be cautious about pulling up next to an F simply because of those shots of NOS that lurk in the dark.

My advice would be to purchase a nice light weight wheel in the offset and width you desire.
Old 07-14-14, 07:20 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
My buddy did it for his customer's TE37. Everything came out awesome looking awesome. One thing though, it's not cheap. It's almost like buying a new set of wheels. If you want his service, maybe get a set of stock wheels from Craigslist near here and let him cut them up and rebarreled. You can sell you current stockers once these are done. Save you on multiple shipping charges. Look up #5one to see all of his work.
Now I know there are people who love this kind of thing, but I think it's rediculous. I could be wrong but there must be sacrifices that directly affect the drivability of the car. What's wrong with a small drop on some rims? What's the purpose of doing this?
Old 07-14-14, 08:57 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
Now I know there are people who love this kind of thing, but I think it's rediculous. I could be wrong but there must be sacrifices that directly affect the drivability of the car. What's wrong with a small drop on some rims? What's the purpose of doing this?
It's a pain in the butt for the CNC machine to cut out the face. If done correctly and fully balanced; it is just like any good 2 piece wheels out there. You are basically welding a wheel face into a hoop, just like how normal 2 piece wheels are made. People don't normally do this because of the cost is just as much as buying new wheels. There are some that are particular about a style that is not offering in the offsets and width that they wanted so they will fork out the money.
Old 07-14-14, 09:50 PM
RSWill
Rookie

Yep, he could actually get a nice set of CCW's in 19x11 or 19x11.5, that's what I would do
Old 07-14-14, 11:25 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Adding 2" is just gonna make the already heavy rear wheels even heavier. And wider tires also add a lot of weight. And they would be cutting into a forged wheel...
Old 07-15-14, 10:09 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by RSWill
Yep, he could actually get a nice set of CCW's in 19x11 or 19x11.5, that's what I would do
I am actually thinking of going down to 18' if I go with an aftermarket wheel so I can get more rubber on it. If I went with an 11.5 wide wheel, would I have to use spacers, or will that still fit without anything?
Old 07-15-14, 10:16 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by RCB
I think you guys are all missing the biggest point as to why this is a wasted effort. 305s on the rear are not going to hook any better. I have been running a 305 PSS for 3 years so I can say first hand it will still rip the tires into 3rd gear. I have not had any better 60' times at the drag strip regardless of tire pressure, how hot the tire is or my damper settings.
The 305 tire is going to shine in the turns much more then a straight line.
If you really want to keep the stock wheels and hook better then get some R888 tires and make changes to the static camber settings, dampers and spring rates.
I think you'll get a lot more improvement there and the car will still have the stock appearance that you want.
After a lot of thought I am considering going down to an 18. If I can fit an 11 or preferably an 11.5 (Do you think that would fit?) what would you suggest doing camber, damper, and spring rate wise?
Old 07-15-14, 10:26 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

what about going to a different tire? R888 in a 275 or 285 if available?
Old 07-15-14, 11:19 AM
RobEQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

After a lot of thought I am considering going down to an 18. If I can fit an 11 or preferably an 11.5 (Do you think that would fit?) what would you suggest doing camber, damper, and spring rate wise?
I have 11.5" wide CCW wheels in the rear. I was able to fit them without any major issues
Old 07-15-14, 01:24 PM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by BS ISF
what about going to a different tire? R888 in a 275 or 285 if available?
I would love to do that, but I think the R888 tire is only manufactured for a 19 in 265 or 295. I would buy a 285 right now if I were able to find them. If anyone is aware of a 285 in this tire, I would be forever grateful.
Old 07-15-14, 01:38 PM
RSWill
Rookie

I am actually thinking of going down to 18' if I go with an aftermarket wheel so I can get more rubber on it. If I went with an 11.5 wide wheel, would I have to use spacers, or will that still fit without anything?
If you run custom offset wheels, say and 18x11.5 for example, as long as you have the EXACT offset you are looking for, a spacer is NEVER needed.

If you don't really want to spend the money out of pocket per say, you could sell your OEM wheels and tires and use that money toward your new set-up.
Old 07-15-14, 02:12 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I take it your have pre 2012 rims? otherwise you could squeeze a 295 on a 9.5 rim no problem.
Old 07-15-14, 02:16 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

just buy aftermarket wider wheels..

Quick Reply: Widen stock wheel by two inches, issues, input?