IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Widen stock wheel by two inches, issues, input?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 09:11 AM
abohler
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Widen stock wheel by two inches, issues, input?

I am considering widening the stock rear ISF wheel from 19x9 to 19x11. I will have weldcraft perform the work, as they seem to have a very good reputation. My questions are, will there be issues with fitment, alignment, handling etc.? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-14, 09:32 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Due to stock offsets, I'm not sure if there is enough room on the inside to have a 11 +80mm offset. You are better off CNC machined out the face and then weld that on a new hoop with the desired offset. This has been done on other wheels. 19x11 ideally would be +43 to 50 to sit nicely flush with the quarter panels
Old 07-14-14, 09:46 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
Due to stock offsets, I'm not sure if there is enough room on the inside to have a 11 +80mm offset. You are better off CNC machined out the face and then weld that on a new hoop with the desired offset. This has been done on other wheels. 19x11 ideally would be +43 to 50 to sit nicely flush with the quarter panels
Do you have any suggestions for companies that can do this work? My whole end result is to have a completely stock looking ISF. I am running a 100 shot nitrous and want to catch people on their heels. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-14-14, 10:30 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

WheelFlip does this kind of work. I looked into this for my 2013 wheels but after closely looking at the spoke design, I doubt that they will do it. Give them a call.
Old 07-14-14, 10:37 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy did it for his customer's TE37. Everything came out awesome looking awesome. One thing though, it's not cheap. It's almost like buying a new set of wheels. If you want his service, maybe get a set of stock wheels from Craigslist near here and let him cut them up and rebarreled. You can sell you current stockers once these are done. Save you on multiple shipping charges. Look up #5one to see all of his work.
Attached Thumbnails Widen stock wheel by two inches, issues, input?-image.jpg  
Old 07-14-14, 11:05 AM
abohler
Driver

Anyone have an opinion on widening the wheel to 10.5' instead of 11'? Would I be able to keep the same offset? Maybe roll the fender? I just need some more meat on the ground. I can't hook up until 3rd gear with the nitrous. I was really hoping to get a 305 tire on the rear one way or another.
Old 07-14-14, 11:19 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Common sense guys, if you widen a wheel on the inside you have to widen the outside to keep the stock offset.. with that being said, the stock wheel does not have a "lip" so widening the face will look ugly as sin and not recommended.

If you do not widen both sides of the wheel evenly, you wont carry the stock offset unless you buy spacers.
Old 07-14-14, 11:42 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Common sense guys, if you widen a wheel on the inside you have to widen the outside to keep the stock offset.. with that being said, the stock wheel does not have a "lip" so widening the face will look ugly as sin and not recommended.

If you do not widen both sides of the wheel evenly, you wont carry the stock offset unless you buy spacers.
So would it even be plausible to widen the stock wheel to 10.5 or 11 and run spacers? I am trying to find the easiest way to keep the stock look, with the widest tire possible. I want to pull up next to vettes and ****, and have them think I am stock, but put my 460rwhp to the ground. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-14-14, 11:58 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Well... if you want to widen to 19x11 then you need to add two inches to the inside of the rear wheel and add a 50mm spacer.. I don't think thats a good idea by any means.

More ideally would widen by one inch and add a 1" spacer, you should be able to clear the rear fenders if you are not lowered that much. Then again if this is all just for slightly wider tires then IMO thats a lot of work for very little gain.
Old 07-14-14, 12:03 PM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Well... if you want to widen to 19x11 then you need to add two inches to the inside of the rear wheel and add a 50mm spacer.. I don't think thats a good idea by any means.

More ideally would widen by one inch and add a 1" spacer, you should be able to clear the rear fenders if you are not lowered that much. Then again if this is all just for slightly wider tires then IMO thats a lot of work for very little gain.
Thanks for all the info on this. I am just trying to think out loud here on the best way to get a wider wheel and tire combo. I am aimed solely at performance and not so much looks. I was hoping to be able to do something with the original wheels so people think they are getting into it with a stock ISF and not one putting down near the 500hp mark. One other member mentioned removing the wheel face and getting it rebarrelled. Any thoughts on that option?
Old 07-14-14, 12:13 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

No one judges what's done to a car based on wheels(unless you roll up on 15" wheels with slicks on the back lol. Once they see you have a real tire on there, no matter what wheel, they'll know at the very least you're going to hook/worried about traction.

Most people also have no clue what isf wheels look like.

Seems like a giant waste of time, and energy. Just get a nice set of light wheels and call it a day. And play the "this car is a show car / all for looks" angle ".
Old 07-14-14, 12:18 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy had 370z wheels widened from 10 to 12 inches. He used

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/index-1.html

and it was like $125 a wheel.

So it's not that expensive.
Old 07-14-14, 12:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have been considering this too. We have a high end shop in town that can do it. I have be racking my brain about wheels and tires recently. Tires need to be replaced soon so wheel could go too. Not sure.

just checked out the weldcraft website and it looks legit !!

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-14-14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-14-14, 12:21 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

you can only widen the stock wheel from the rear barrel which most people would just cut it down the middle and add in a 2 inch barrel. What some of my 944 guys do, they have to buy a new set of wheels to have it cut and welded into the previous set so that the type of metal matches. its near impossible to find a 19 inch insert for the stock 19's that not a different cast metal. It also messes with the structural integrity of the rim so if you do it, there WONT be any racing. Might be an ALL SHOW, NO GO wheel since only welds are holding it together and thats IF they di a good job.

For the headache, its almost easier to just buy a set of wheels that look close to stock or just go wider tires
Old 07-14-14, 12:40 PM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
My buddy had 370z wheels widened from 10 to 12 inches. He used

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/index-1.html

and it was like $125 a wheel.

So it's not that expensive.
I called and talked to weldcraft. They seem really legit and sign off on their work. They do a lot of stuff for drag cars, and that is my intention with the F. I just keep getting the same response that there are going to be offset issues. They quoted me $240 a wheel and I want to do it really bad. I am just concerned I will get them back and they won't fit. I am really torn. I just want the stock face on an 11 wide wheel with 305's for the rear so I can hook up from a dig. I am wondering if anyone can advise if spacers would work to account for this.

Quick Reply: Widen stock wheel by two inches, issues, input?