IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

your favorite little 'feature'

Old 07-23-14, 09:39 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's the S mode. Pull and hold the upshift paddle and it will engage S mode so you can limit the highest gear. It is not the same as M mode.
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
it isn't manual mode at all. It's the same as shifting to L in an old school auto. It just limits the highest allowable gear. You have to move the shifter to get M mode no matter how you slice it.
I can't follow what holding the upshift paddle while in auto does.

While in Auto, if I manually downshift via the paddle I can put it back in to regular Auto mode if I pull and hold the upshift paddle. I tried this and it works for me without limiting any gear.

What I don't understand is the "S mode" feature. How can you limit the highest gear in auto mode.
Old 07-23-14, 01:11 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MYISF
If u r talking about things that came from the factory...other than the all the performance items that have been well documented, I would have to say one of my favorite things is the "F" that comes up in the dash when you put it in manual mode:

Attachment 335241
Originally Posted by DrRick
I promise my 08 doesn't change to the F when I go manual mode. Only time the F comes on when I start it. What am I doing wrong?
Originally Posted by scamsel
hmm, mine comes on as soon as i flip it over to manual, regardless of what display it was on before...i think maybe it has to be in sport too? not sure
Originally Posted by Nate008
After you switch to manual mode, you need to hit the DISP button on the steering wheel controls and keep pressing it to cycle it through until the F is displayed.
I thought something was wrong with my car or i was doing something wrong as well. I only saw it when i start the car but apparently, yes it comes on instead of 'Gear position' when you hit the gear stick/shifter to 'M'

This car is full of surprises with its little bells and whistles. People say the NSX was 'ahead of its time'... seems to be the same feeling for me with the ISF.
Old 07-23-14, 07:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I can't follow what holding the upshift paddle while in auto does.

While in Auto, if I manually downshift via the paddle I can put it back in to regular Auto mode if I pull and hold the upshift paddle. I tried this and it works for me without limiting any gear.

What I don't understand is the "S mode" feature. How can you limit the highest gear in auto mode.
Open your owner's manual. Turn to page 118 (for the 2008) for the complete explanation of all three modes for the transmission D - S - M.