IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sunroof rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 11:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Sunroof rattle

Have noticed since I had my car that I have a mild sunroof rattle . If I push on the rear right corner of the sunroof glass I have feel a little bit of play. This play is causing rattling on bumpy roads. I had the same issue on my 07 GS350 because it was slammed ( rode pretty ruff like the ISF), but I cant remember what they did to fix the issue. I am assuming it needs some insulation or tightening. Pretty sure with the way the ISF rides and the number of members we have with lowered ISF that I am surely not the only member with this rattle.

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 07-06-14, 12:58 AM
FMYLIFE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it has to do with the frame that holds the glass in place. With the constant vibration with the rough suspension, the tabs that hold the sunroof loosen creating the rattle.

The easy fix is to bend these tabs back into place to tighten the placement. Maybe someone that has had the problem can explain more precisely but usually you experience this rattle in tilt mode.
Old 07-06-14, 02:49 AM
mrkim
Banned

Originally Posted by FMYLIFE
I believe it has to do with the frame that holds the glass in place. With the constant vibration with the rough suspension, the tabs that hold the sunroof loosen creating the rattle.

The easy fix is to bend these tabs back into place to tighten the placement. Maybe someone that has had the problem can explain more precisely but usually you experience this rattle in tilt mode.
yeah I had that problem when I got my ISF, I looked and compared with my wife's is350.. it was just out of place, had my best friend help bend it back in place. (meaning I paid him with food he did the work cause he has smaller hands)
Old 07-06-14, 04:50 AM
RMA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue here, I always hear a rattle from inside the cabin while driving on bumpier roads. Figured it was the sunroof area but was not 100% sure. I will relay this info to the tech next week when the PE headers are being installed.
Old 07-06-14, 10:39 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the response. When I had the issue in my S350 I am pretty sure the tech said he bent something back into place and that fixed the issue. I couldnt remember what it was or if it was something I can could do. I will have the tech look at it at my 30 k service.

Are these tab hard to reach? Anyone know if there are pics

Thank again
Old 07-06-14, 11:05 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrkim
yeah I had that problem when I got my ISF, I looked and compared with my wife's is350.. it was just out of place, had my best friend help bend it back in place. (meaning I paid him with food he did the work cause he has smaller hands)

glad to hear its that simple. Im going to run down and take a look, but my hands are HUGE Probably wont even know what Im looking at but will give it a try. Thanks for the response. I feel better knowing its something that can be resolved without ripping the headliner out.
Old 07-06-14, 12:06 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

same problem. I don't know which tab you are talking about so if you find it, please post a photo.

thanks
Old 07-06-14, 03:22 PM
FMYLIFE
Rookie

The tabs should be accessible once you pop off the plastic/rubber shrouds around the sides of the sunroof looking from inside the car.
Old 07-06-14, 05:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The tabs should be accessible once you pop off the plastic/rubber shrouds around the sides of the sunroof looking from inside the car.
Thanks buddy Ill take another look. Ill try to take pics. I am pretty sure that this issue is A LOT more common most most think. With the average rd quality getting worse mixed with aging cars and a super tight suspension there are going to be some rattles. Thankful for the smooth AZ roads
Old 07-06-14, 11:36 PM
mrkim
Banned

I'll try to take a picture of it for you guys, yeah ripping the headliner is not needed... hopefully I can fit my Samsung Galaxy MEGA to take the picture.
Old 07-07-14, 07:26 AM
mrkim
Banned

its mainly that piece that comes loose due to people pushing up on the sunroof itself. it simply needs to be bent back to its clip.

Another thing I forgot to ask when you open your sun roof open does the cover stay close or automatically slide back?

If it doesn't slide back you just need to bend back that bracket to its place.
Old 07-07-14, 10:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for posting that picture. Very cool of you to take the time
Old 07-07-14, 12:33 PM
mrkim
Banned

no problem, I tried to take a picture of it in different angles but phone didn't fit... plus I was tired from a graveyard shift LOL.
Old 03-03-15, 06:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Just wanted to update this thread. I had my rattle fixed !! The issue ( turns out its pretty common in warmer states ) is that the seal/weather stripping around the glass for the sun roof will shrivel and then it creates minor gaps that result in just enough room to create a rattle.

Parts : $81.23 part # 63251-53030
Labor : $136
TOTAL: $ 217.23
The following 2 users liked this post by I8ABMR:
and3re (06-12-23), HyunR (03-04-18)
Old 03-05-15, 03:27 AM
RMA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, glad to hear you had it resolved. My 2009 rattled like crazy over the bumps & I am sure the 2013 will happen at some point of time down the road. At least we all know its the outside seal/gasket that has to be replaced within time.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattle