ISF w/o Bluetooth music streaming - I got rid of my engine whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 08:58 PM
hgill02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF w/o Bluetooth music streaming - I got rid of my engine whine

Hey guys,

I bought my 09 ISF about 2 weeks ago and was quite upset when i realized it didnt have bluetooth music streaming as I listen to music all the time while driving. I know it quite easy to plug in the AUX, but I much rather not have to do that either and have a cleaner look inside the car.

I initially bought the BlackBerry ACC-41596-001 Music Gateway (
Amazon.com: BlackBerry ACC-41596-001 Music Gateway - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: BlackBerry ACC-41596-001 Music Gateway - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
) as well as the oem charger thinking i shouldn't have any issues using oem parts. WRONG

I had whining noise, which i didn't hear during music play as I listen to music quite loud, but definitely annoyed the crap out of me in between the songs or when paused with volume on stereo still up.

I had decided to return it but then did more research online and came across members using a ground Loop Noise Isolator (
Amazon.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator Works with iPod/Zune/iRiver and Others: Automotive Amazon.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator Works with iPod/Zune/iRiver and Others: Automotive
).

I figured i give it a shot for $12.00. So just installed it a little while ago and to my surprise, I had no engine whine at all. Even pushed the car towards redline, but i didn't experience any engine whine.

So finally had a solution to the one thing that annoyed me. Now the music gateway automatically turns out when I start up the car and automatically connects. No need to push any buttons every time you get in.

THE ONE DRAWBACK i have noticed - the noise isolator while removing the engine whine has caused a little drop in volume in bass. Now instead of listening to it at about 45-50 I am listening to it around 55-60, which is fine for me but figure i point it out for others. Also i typically had my bass in negative, but now pushed it up higher as well. By tweaking the audio settings a bit, I am back at where i was before.

I figured i'll put the info out there for anyone else that may want to try it. If this post makes no difference in your life, then just ignore. No need for unnecessary comments.

Disclaimer: while this worked for me, it may not work for you. Spend money at your own risk. lol

Alright, my essay is over. Peace out
Old 07-03-14, 03:29 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most cases of alternator noise is a result of a crappy ground connection.
Old 07-03-14, 04:26 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^^ This....must be a weak ground causing a loop problem.

Also, 55-60? WOW! Radio in mine is pretty loud around 25, and mp3/cd around 256k is loud around 30. And this is the first car I haven't rigged amps/subs
Old 07-03-14, 04:32 AM
RMA
Driver

When it comes to anything audio, Ipod adapters etc a lot of folk on here use these guys...

http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php

I just ordered an ipod adapter for my 2009, still have to have it installed though.
Old 07-03-14, 06:28 AM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by RMA
When it comes to anything audio, Ipod adapters etc a lot of folk on here use these guys...

http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php

I just ordered an ipod adapter for my 2009, still have to have it installed though.
Expensive but may be worth it. Going to read up on some reviews and then maybe just order it. Let me how your iPod adapter works once u get it installed.
Old 07-03-14, 12:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
Most cases of alternator noise is a result of a crappy ground connection.
Originally Posted by dannyk8232
^^^^^ This....must be a weak ground causing a loop problem.

Also, 55-60? WOW! Radio in mine is pretty loud around 25, and mp3/cd around 256k is loud around 30. And this is the first car I haven't rigged amps/subs
No. This is a known issue with these cars and Lexus issued an LSB to address it.
Old 07-03-14, 12:36 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

I would get mine fixed if it wasn't for it being out of warranty, such a shame that this flaw exists and can only be fixed under warranty when its not an issue in other cars.
Old 07-03-14, 01:18 PM
Frank1298
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if your '09 has a USB port that you could use and then add a 30 pin blue-tooth adapter to stream audio. I'm not sure if this will work but this is something like is worth trying. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Music-Audio-Receiver-Adapter-For-iPod-iPhone-30-Pin-Dock-Speaker-BK-/390877641034?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item5b021f794a On my wife's MB I ordered this for her and it works with no problem and gets power from the 30 pin connection. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViseeO-Tune2air-WMA1000-Champagne-Color-for-Apple-Samsung-North-America-Warranty-/141285723905?pt=US_Mounts_Holders&hash=item20e5490f01
Old 07-03-14, 02:34 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. This is a known issue with these cars and Lexus issued an LSB to address it.
Yes It's a known issue which is caused by a faulty ground selection. I am sure the fix was a better ground source.
Old 07-03-14, 06:48 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes It's a known issue which is caused by a faulty ground selection. I am sure the fix was a better ground source.
negative. the fix was installing a ferrite bead/transistor that is housed in a fancy box:

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/5403.html

Last edited by 9aristo; 07-03-14 at 06:55 PM. Reason: link to sewell part
Old 07-03-14, 08:10 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting! Thx for the info, guys
Old 07-03-14, 08:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

No, the problem is there is minimal filtering on the alternator's output. It's a three phase device with a simple 6 diode bridge for rectification and nothing to remove high frequency noise - no passive or active devices to eliminate the issue. It is common in all automotive applications because the electrical systems are focused on low cost, not high quality.

The fix is a high pass capacitor in a fancy box. The may have an inductor in there too if bass level is impacted.

The real solution is to isolate audio ground from car ground. There are a lot of ways you can do this, even with the Gen5 nav/audio.
Old 07-04-14, 01:26 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

The real solution is to isolate audio ground from car ground.
Well you said it yourself, lol! Lexus just went another route for the fix.
Old 07-06-14, 04:55 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hgill02
Hey guys,

I bought my 09 ISF about 2 weeks ago and was quite upset when i realized it didnt have bluetooth music streaming as I listen to music all the time while driving. I know it quite easy to plug in the AUX, but I much rather not have to do that either and have a cleaner look inside the car.

I initially bought the BlackBerry ACC-41596-001 Music Gateway (Amazon.com: BlackBerry ACC-41596-001 Music Gateway - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories) as well as the oem charger thinking i shouldn't have any issues using oem parts. WRONG

I had whining noise, which i didn't hear during music play as I listen to music quite loud, but definitely annoyed the crap out of me in between the songs or when paused with volume on stereo still up.

I had decided to return it but then did more research online and came across members using a ground Loop Noise Isolator (Amazon.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator Works with iPod/Zune/iRiver and Others: Automotive).

I figured i give it a shot for $12.00. So just installed it a little while ago and to my surprise, I had no engine whine at all. Even pushed the car towards redline, but i didn't experience any engine whine.

So finally had a solution to the one thing that annoyed me. Now the music gateway automatically turns out when I start up the car and automatically connects. No need to push any buttons every time you get in.

THE ONE DRAWBACK i have noticed - the noise isolator while removing the engine whine has caused a little drop in volume in bass. Now instead of listening to it at about 45-50 I am listening to it around 55-60, which is fine for me but figure i point it out for others. Also i typically had my bass in negative, but now pushed it up higher as well. By tweaking the audio settings a bit, I am back at where i was before.

I figured i'll put the info out there for anyone else that may want to try it. If this post makes no difference in your life, then just ignore. No need for unnecessary comments.

Disclaimer: while this worked for me, it may not work for you. Spend money at your own risk. lol

Alright, my essay is over. Peace out
That's weird, I bought that same unit about 2 weeks ago and I noticed that bass output went WAY up! The sub now rattles my mirror even with the bass in the EQ set to +0. It's strange that you have the exact opposite result as me. I am using a different bluetooth receiver though, I am using this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJFGE3W. I like that one because it's very compact, and it has pause, forward & back buttons so you can control the tracks without handling your phone. And it comes with a magnetic baking plate which allows you to mount it wherever you want and it can be easily taken off the plate and put into the center console when you want it out of sight. It is also blue so it matches the F color scheme nicely.

Last edited by jleonard71; 07-06-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 08:17 PM
Golfer2000
Driver School Candidate

The real solution is to isolate audio ground from car ground. There are a lot of ways you can do this, even with the Gen5 nav/audio.
Can you please explain how to properly fix this? Also any idea if the TSB fix is better in terms of audio quality than the pac one?

Quick Reply: ISF w/o Bluetooth music streaming - I got rid of my engine whine