IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HELP! My car feels weak...hesitates on take off

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 04:51 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! My car feels weak...hesitates on take off

On the way home today, i thought i was crazy because my gas pedal didn't seem as responsive as normal. But after getting off the freeway and stopping at a light...then taking off again i found out i am not THAT crazy after all. The car lags and feels like it is hesitating on take off. Also, when say going over a speed bump slowly and in about 2nd gear, upon taking off it is weak as a dog, you can put the foot to the floor and it barely tries to wake up.

The car is NOT in "lame mode"....well it might be, but there is no CEL on the dash at all. I have been in "lame mode" before about a year ago and the car starts off in 2nd and is weak throughout while having a CEL on the dash. I have ALL my gears and no CEL.

First thing i did was remove the Apexi throttle controller. That made no difference.

I have a Takeda intake which is not very dirty at all. I have NOS (100 shot) that i probably have not hit in over 6 months and before that it was probably 6 months. I actually don't drive this car like a maniac, usually i am just cruising.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping someone knows something so i don't have to take it to Lexus
Old 06-24-14, 05:10 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

hopefully the IS-F guys can help but did you run and diagnostics to see if you have any codes?
Old 06-24-14, 05:40 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
hopefully the IS-F guys can help but did you run and diagnostics to see if you have any codes?

nope, i don't have a code reader for an ISF. Just one for my Tahoe

I figured, no CEL, no code right?

Anyway, i pulled the battery cable and reset the ECU and so far it seems to be good again. Almost like it was in lame mode but didn't throw any lights on my dash to indicate it.

weird. Ill report back in the next day or so. I hope this doesn't happen again
Old 06-24-14, 06:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

DTCs don't always turn on the MIL. You need to read the codes before you do this again. The reader for your Tahoe should work just fine on the IS-F. The DLC connector is a Federal standard, they're not unique to the manufacturers. All this happened way back in 1996 because everyone had OBD1 and there was no standard for signals, connectors, or readers.
Old 06-24-14, 06:17 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any OBDII code reader will work, so the scanner that you use on your Tahoe will work on the ISF.

Maybe the LTC left your car stuck on ECO mode?
Old 06-24-14, 06:24 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"lame mode" LOL.

You should check your spark plugs, sounds like one or more is fouled out. If not, GL!
Old 06-24-14, 06:32 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
DTCs don't always turn on the MIL. You need to read the codes before you do this again. The reader for your Tahoe should work just fine on the IS-F. The DLC connector is a Federal standard, they're not unique to the manufacturers. All this happened way back in 1996 because everyone had OBD1 and there was no standard for signals, connectors, or readers.
i thought so but i wasn't sure...and i never thought i would have to check for codes on a $64,000 car so i never put much thought into it. I do have a brand new reader though i will use it next time.
Old 06-24-14, 06:36 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfwjohnd
"lame mode" LOL.

You should check your spark plugs, sounds like one or more is fouled out. If not, GL!
umm, no. The plugs are not fouled out. lol. Unless pulling the cable and clearing the codes (if there was any) unfouls plugs i doubt that was it. Thanks for the random guess though.

Last time the car went into "lame mode" i believe it was my gas cap not being very tight that caused it. It was kinda loose. Hasn't happened since (and i triple check every time now). So i am familiar with what happens when the car does that. This was really weird though. I hope it doesn't do it again. I don't wanna have trust issues with my LEXUS, the brand i trust the most.
Old 06-24-14, 06:44 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meade916
umm, no. The plugs are not fouled out. lol. Unless pulling the cable and clearing the codes (if there was any) unfouls plugs i doubt that was it. Thanks for the random guess though.

Last time the car went into "lame mode" i believe it was my gas cap not being very tight that caused it. It was kinda loose. Hasn't happened since (and i triple check every time now). So i am familiar with what happens when the car does that. This was really weird though. I hope it doesn't do it again. I don't wanna have trust issues with my LEXUS, the brand i trust the most.
why would you have trust issues because you had a problem? no brand is gonna be perfect. no matter how much you paid or how much you may trust it. whether you have a myriad of problems....overall Lexus is reliable.
Old 06-24-14, 06:49 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
why would you have trust issues because you had a problem? no brand is gonna be perfect. no matter how much you paid or how much you may trust it. whether you have a myriad of problems....overall Lexus is reliable.
Absolutely right. My BMW throws codes when the weather changes...and the they disappear, sometimes.
Old 06-24-14, 07:02 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rickna
Absolutely right. My BMW throws codes when the weather changes...and the they disappear, sometimes.
well i didn't get a BMW for that very reason....just sayin'
Old 06-24-14, 07:39 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your OBD2 port is under a little plastic cover just bellow the steering column. Make sure you check for pending codes next time before disconnecting the battery....if it happens again.

"Lame Mode" this should be the official new name for limp mode, LOL.
Old 06-24-14, 07:58 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so after pulling the codes, turns out this thread is in "lame mode."
Old 06-24-14, 08:12 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfwjohnd
so after pulling the codes, turns out this thread is in "lame mode."
well it was lame that my car went lame. LOL

i forgot it was called "limp" mode. My bad.

but if i can't come to CL and ask ISF owners if they have ever had the issue, where should i go? This is a forum isn't it?
Old 06-24-14, 09:20 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was gonna suggest poppin' the hood and having one guy feather the throttle under the hood and comparing to another guy feathering the pedal.....yeah, I remember autoshop in high school...

Glad it's ok!

Quick Reply: HELP! My car feels weak...hesitates on take off