HELP! My car feels weak...hesitates on take off

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 06:42 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by meade916
well it was lame that my car went lame. LOL

i forgot it was called "limp" mode. My bad.

but if i can't come to CL and ask ISF owners if they have ever had the issue, where should i go? This is a forum isn't it?

LOL! I thought you where calling it "Lame Mode" on purpose. I think it fits, especially on a sports car!

You should ask here when you have an issue, the hell with the haters. Not only does it help you if a problem is found but it helps others in the future who might have the same issue and use the search function.
Old 06-25-14, 06:55 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
I was gonna suggest poppin' the hood and having one guy feather the throttle under the hood and comparing to another guy feathering the pedal.....yeah, I remember autoshop in high school...

Glad it's ok!
That wont really work since its not like the old school cars with the cable driven throttle body. The IS-F has an electronic throttle if im not mistaken. Also I would agree with DFWjohn about your spark plugs. Plugs may not be fouled but they may not be seated properly or even the coil pack may not be seated on the plug properly causing that hesitation before taking off. Overtime it can really overheat one sparkplug causing it to fail/less conductivity when the others may seem fine. When you have a hesitation before accelerating, it usually means one or more cylinders aren't firing correctly. I know you said you did the battery terminal trick but it may be a temporary fix but not actually fixing the problem

Many other things can cause that like Bad Gas (Try switching gas stations you fuel up at, it worked for me), or dare I say it.... CARBON BUILDUP!
Old 06-25-14, 07:31 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd consider checking the MAF.
Old 06-25-14, 07:39 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the way home today, i thought i was crazy because my gas pedal didn't seem as responsive as normal. But after getting off the freeway and stopping at a light...then taking off again i found out i am not THAT crazy after all. The car lags and feels like it is hesitating on take off. Also, when say going over a speed bump slowly and in about 2nd gear, upon taking off it is weak as a dog, you can put the foot to the floor and it barely tries to wake up.

The car is NOT in "lame mode"....well it might be, but there is no CEL on the dash at all. I have been in "lame mode" before about a year ago and the car starts off in 2nd and is weak throughout while having a CEL on the dash. I have ALL my gears and no CEL.

First thing i did was remove the Apexi throttle controller. That made no difference.

I have a Takeda intake which is not very dirty at all. I have NOS (100 shot) that i probably have not hit in over 6 months and before that it was probably 6 months. I actually don't drive this car like a maniac, usually i am just cruising.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping someone knows something so i don't have to take it to Lexus
Id check the MAF sensor as well. any type of aftermarket air filter that requires oil can have a negative effect on it..
Old 06-25-14, 08:08 AM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ming15237
Id check the MAF sensor as well. any type of aftermarket air filter that requires oil can have a negative effect on it..
mine doesn't require oil.
Old 06-25-14, 08:11 AM
meade916
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
That wont really work since its not like the old school cars with the cable driven throttle body. The IS-F has an electronic throttle if im not mistaken. Also I would agree with DFWjohn about your spark plugs. Plugs may not be fouled but they may not be seated properly or even the coil pack may not be seated on the plug properly causing that hesitation before taking off. Overtime it can really overheat one sparkplug causing it to fail/less conductivity when the others may seem fine. When you have a hesitation before accelerating, it usually means one or more cylinders aren't firing correctly. I know you said you did the battery terminal trick but it may be a temporary fix but not actually fixing the problem

Many other things can cause that like Bad Gas (Try switching gas stations you fuel up at, it worked for me), or dare I say it.... CARBON BUILDUP!

bro, the plugs are "seated" just fine. I also heard about the "bad gas" thing....and although i highly doubt that the Chevron station has bad gas, i still put new gas in from another place just to make sure. It was pretty low so it was time anyway. The other 3/4 of that tank seemed to be fine i don't know how it just went bad on the last part though

and i BETTER not have no damn carbon build up @ 42k miles. LOL
Old 06-25-14, 08:15 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I get a slight hesitation but only when crusing around (usually in 3rd gear). ---> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ion-issue.html

The car seems to be moving along fine and then for a sec it would hesitat and bog down and then go back to normal.

Firstly I thought it could be bad fuel, I've tried staying away from the known bad petrol stations and adding injector maintenance every 4k km but this hasn't helped.

My only other 2 solutions are.....firstly clean the MAF sensor.

if that doesn't work then I will be asking the stealers to change my spark plugs when I take it into service next time and see how that works.
Old 06-25-14, 08:44 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course this is the place to ask questions.I love the term lame mode. I will use it from now on.
Old 06-25-14, 11:52 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

well it was lame that my car went lame. LOL

i forgot it was called "limp" mode. My bad.

but if i can't come to CL and ask ISF owners if they have ever had the issue, where should i go? This is a forum isn't it?

Couldnt agree more. Ask away playah !!
Old 06-25-14, 12:29 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

update: drove all day today and all is well. I hope it stays this way. Next time it happens ill be sure to hook up my code reader. I use the code readers so seldom that i didn't even realize a Chevy port was the same as a Toyota/Lexus. I mean, i don't consider myself that dumb when it comes to cars... but hey, I know now! CL FTW.
Old 06-25-14, 12:37 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never once said anyhing about you not being able to post, make up new words (lame mode,) or ask questions. Please refference to where I did, I would like to know so I won't make this mistake in the future.

On a side note, I wish CL would make a "Smilie" called lame mode as a check engine light.
Old 06-25-14, 01:54 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

well i didn't get a BMW for that very reason....just sayin'
A typical BMW...
HELP! My car feels weak...hesitates on take off-bmw_crazyanim.gif
Old 06-25-14, 02:53 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
A typical BMW...
Attachment 333818
lolz, substitute logo for any german automaker save porsche
Old 06-25-14, 04:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
A typical BMW...
Attachment 333818
Rickna , thats hilarious bro. Thanks for posting this !!
Old 06-25-14, 04:38 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Recent fuel stop? Might you have gotten regular grade fuel instead of Premium...it'll run but not well.

Quick Reply: HELP! My car feels weak...hesitates on take off