IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How to gut your primary cats (Dyno results to come soon)

Old 01-17-15, 12:33 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Great work..!! And I applaud you on the DIY post & info..

The most important part of reinstalling any O2 or A/F sensor is too never allow the wiring to be wound up on the reinstall.. It creates a problem and eventual failure.

Simple solution is to counter twist the exact amount of turns before threading in, to ensure the wires are perfectly straight once installed..

On the stock sensor and thread it's approx 2 & 3/4 counter clockwise turns from a perfectly straight 4 wires..

Joe Z

You can also remove the socket clip around the transmission area from under the carpet near the knee areas. No need to guess how many turns to wind it lol, just clip it back on once the o2 sensors are in.
Old 01-17-15, 01:39 PM
ISFBomb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
You can also remove the socket clip around the transmission area from under the carpet near the knee areas. No need to guess how many turns to wind it lol, just clip it back on once the o2 sensors are in.
Good call! I knew there had to be a connector somewhere....didn't feel like doing a search for it though, haha. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-17-15, 02:48 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Im kinda surprised with how many used sets of header i see from the come and gone that people are gutting factory manifolds.
Old 01-17-15, 02:54 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

quick and dirty but no where near the gains of real aftermarket headers
Old 01-17-15, 04:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ISFBomb
Good call! I knew there had to be a connector somewhere....didn't feel like doing a search for it though, haha. Thanks for the info!
It's not really guess work at all... I say not more then 3 full counter clockwise turns starting from straight wires..

The plug connectors are not easily accessible per se.. And really only there for when you need to replace the O2 sensor itself..

Joe Z
Old 01-17-15, 06:36 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFBomb
So what you're trying to say is that with a CAT-back exhaust and CAT removal there shouldn't be any issues with the O2 sensor after the CATs? Everything was checked for leaks upon test drive after installed, btw.
Sorry bud, I thought you were still running the Primary Cats
Old 01-17-15, 06:50 PM
toyer14
Rookie

Default ?

It seems that most people know what they are talking about my question is. If i do delete cats in manifold will that make me fail SMOG. And so people here have mentioned deleting 2ndary cats and mufflers replace with straight pipes and getting gains. Not having alot of money and time,what would be my best option. Im all stock except K&N filter. Thanks for the info.

Ryan
Old 01-17-15, 07:40 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by toyer14
It seems that most people know what they are talking about my question is. If i do delete cats in manifold will that make me fail SMOG. And so people here have mentioned deleting 2ndary cats and mufflers replace with straight pipes and getting gains. Not having alot of money and time,what would be my best option. Im all stock except K&N filter. Thanks for the info.

Ryan
Yes, deleting the main cats will cause headaches with your emissions testing. If you don't have a lot of cash, don't touch anything in the header.

From multiple posts, the secondary cats hold things back....along with the crimp in the exhaust and the finally the mufflers. I will be honest the muffler delete might not be for day to day driving.

I'm planning on eventually buying a new/used borla exhaust and calling it a day....but I daily drive my car and dont want to do too much to it, in case some idiot crashes into me...
Old 01-18-15, 04:57 PM
toyer14
Rookie

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Yes, deleting the main cats will cause headaches with your emissions testing. If you don't have a lot of cash, don't touch anything in the header.

From multiple posts, the secondary cats hold things back....along with the crimp in the exhaust and the finally the mufflers. I will be honest the muffler delete might not be for day to day driving.

I'm planning on eventually buying a new/used borla exhaust and calling it a day....but I daily drive my car and dont want to do too much to it, in case some idiot crashes into me...
thanks for the input,im going to go delete the secondary cats and mufflers replace with straight pipes.
Old 07-30-15, 12:38 PM
pharnhyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any new dyno results?
Old 09-11-15, 03:58 PM
toyer14
Rookie

Default updates?

Any dyno updates regarding catless stock headers and aftermarker headers. Just wondering the difference in rwhp catless vs catted?
Old 09-19-15, 07:18 AM
Breck569
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious of how these gain compare to aftermarket headers. The oem headers don't look very restrictive. Does any one know the cell counts on primary cats vs secondary cats?
Old 09-19-15, 06:54 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Okay... so I just got a baseline dyno on my completely stock 2012 IS-F Yesterday.

It was DynoJet, put down 348whp.

I was going to do PPE headers first then redyno but I'm VERY tempted to gut my cats and do a STOCK, GUTTED CATS, PPE Header comparison to put this discussion to rest...

Should be pretty accurate since all will be done on the same exact dyno.

I'm just afraid I won't be able to source a another set of factory headers if I chose to go back to stock..
Did you end up gutting the cats before the PPE headers?? And then dyno the car??
Old 09-23-15, 09:00 PM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive been to the track a few times now and have been consistently running between 12.39-12.5 with gutted cats and borla exhaust with upsized tires (275). I'm installing PPE headers within the next week and will be making another trip up to New England drag way. I'm hoping that I'll break into the 12.2's with headers. To my knowledge I don't think someone has done a comparison like this yet. I'm looking forward to the results.
Old 09-23-15, 09:11 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Drok149
ive been to the track a few times now and have been consistently running between 12.39-12.5 with gutted cats and borla exhaust with upsized tires (275). I'm installing PPE headers within the next week and will be making another trip up to New England drag way. I'm hoping that I'll break into the 12.2's with headers. To my knowledge I don't think someone has done a comparison like this yet. I'm looking forward to the results.
Interesting.....keep us updated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to gut your primary cats (Dyno results to come soon)