IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How to gut your primary cats (Dyno results to come soon)

Old 06-26-14, 02:57 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

something I would never EVER do. I maybe old I guess now, but the smell and odors for 10 HP to me isn't worth it.

I hate smelling like exhaust, even after putting several cats in my mk3 2jz no it still stinks, There is nothing like an OEM cat, too bad there isn't a company that makes a real quality high flow one.
Old 06-26-14, 03:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by zazzn
I hate smelling like exhaust. too bad there isn't a company that makes a real quality high flow one.
Same Here. Since my header installation, I have modified my exhaust twice. With both systems (Modified stock, and PPE Dual Mode) I have used MagnaFlow HighFlow Cats. I have never smelled gasoline in my exhaust.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 06-26-14 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 03:49 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Same Here. Since my header installation, I have modified my exhaust twice. With both systems (Modified stock, and PPE Dual Mode) I have used MagnaFlow HighFlow Cats. I have never smelled gasoline in my exhaust.

Loi
Off topic first time I see you mis- spell your name lol
Old 06-26-14, 04:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^LOL - Fixed.

Lou
Old 06-26-14, 07:43 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah not sure I'd decat the entire exhaust... the F is a refined sports car, don't want it smelling like an old muscle car. Defeats the purpose of gutting the primary cats only to restrict flow by adding aftermarket cats. My current setup with the secondary cats and mufflers removed doesn't smell like anything.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 06-26-14 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 07:30 AM
H60Driver
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where's these dyno results? Eagerly awaiting...
Old 06-29-14, 08:11 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

My brother has a Joe Z exhaust (which smelled totally stock) but once he threw on a set of Sikky Headers on his ISF which removed his primary cats, the gas smell was very prominent. If he idled too long at a light the fumes would enter the car through the AC vents. I just sold my supercharged vette that did the same thing. I could never let the car idle in the garage (even with the garage door open) or it would fume up my garage and it would be unbearable. A part of me likes the sound, but the other part of me fears cancer from the fumes haha.

On another note, this spark plug non fouler trick may work in place of the O2 sim! You can buy two pairs of them from auto zone for like $4 a pair, and drill 2 of them out with a 1/2" drill bit, then stuff some steel wool in between. It goes 02 sensor > drilled non fouler > steel wool > undrilled non fouler > and then the header or exhaust. Not sure how effective it is on the lexus, or if its a good idea to use in the headers, but definitely worked for my 350z I used to have when I removed the cats and went with a straight pipe. My CEL turned on for a couple days and never came back again after this trick. I can post the link to the DIY with pics from an old 350z forum if I'm allowed by the mods to share it here. Again, not sure how effective it will be with our cars but worth a shot.

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 06-29-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-29-14, 11:11 AM
H60Driver
Driver

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
My brother has a Joe Z exhaust (which smelled totally stock) but once he threw on a set of Sikky Headers on his ISF which removed his primary cats, the gas smell was very prominent. If he idled too long at a light the fumes would enter the car through the AC vents. I just sold my supercharged vette that did the same thing. I could never let the car idle in the garage (even with the garage door open) or it would fume up my garage and it would be unbearable. A part of me likes the sound, but the other part of me fears cancer from the fumes haha. On another note, this spark plug non fouler trick may work in place of the O2 sim! You can buy two pairs of them from auto zone for like $4 a pair, and drill 2 of them out with a 1/2" drill bit, then stuff some steel wool in between. It goes 02 sensor > drilled non fouler > steel wool > undrilled non fouler > and then the header or exhaust. Not sure how effective it is on the lexus, or if its a good idea to use in the headers, but definitely worked for my 350z I used to have when I removed the cats and went with a straight pipe. My CEL turned on for a couple days and never came back again after this trick. I can post the link to the DIY with pics from an old 350z forum if I'm allowed by the mods to share it here. Again, not sure how effective it will be with our cars but worth a shot.
Post it up. Seems like a super cheap alternative. Worth a shot.
Old 06-29-14, 04:07 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...-fix-pics.html

In talking to a guy from that forum, he PM'd me this stating it wasn't a good idea to use any sort of spacer for the 02 sensor in the headers.

"you have two sets of o2 sensors. upstream ones (before the cats) in the headers. down stream ones (after the cats).

the upstream sensors are what the ecu uses to control the fuel trims.

the downstream ones are simply there as a check to ensure the cats are working... they run a check to see if the exhaust is cleaner than what the upstream sensors are seeing.

the nonfoulers space the sensors out of the path of the direct path of the exhaust. You don't want to play games with the upstream sensors because they, like I said, play a role in how much fuel the car is being fed"
Old 06-29-14, 04:30 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Yea, you would use them in the rear 2. I've had some success with that method on other cars.

The best method is turning the code off completely in the ecu but not really an option on this platform lol. Wonder if sard can atleast accomplish that if one is spending a fortune for their flash.
Old 06-29-14, 08:01 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cronic
Yea, you would use them in the rear 2. I've had some success with that method on other cars.

The best method is turning the code off completely in the ecu but not really an option on this platform lol. Wonder if sard can atleast accomplish that if one is spending a fortune for their flash.
This will not :/. Already asked
Old 07-01-14, 01:03 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Where's the sound clip at?! I keep checking back, lets hear it!!
Old 07-01-14, 08:29 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thx Slay for sharing your info with us!
Old 07-01-14, 08:48 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From a recent thraed I posted in

"I'll be your dyno....

Me and Slay raced not to long ago. We both data logged our cars, wot runs and A/F mixtures were great.
We raced from a 40mph roll till 160mph. We were head to head. At 90, 120, 140mph I jumped a foot at each. At 160mph I was only up by 3 tiny feet.

My car: afe filter, ppe header, iss des cat back, iss scoops (a whole lotta $)
Slays: gutted primary cats w/ ppe 02 conditioner, replaced mufflers & secondary cats with straight pipes (he saved a lot of $, lol) "
Old 07-02-14, 08:03 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Dyno is booked July 12th at noon

Yes there is a CEL associated

Yes the Sikky conditioner removes the CEL

Yes there is a smell associated... not sulphur, more gasoline/ rich combustion

Yes the dust from the CAT is bad ****, wear a longsleeve, mask and eye protection.

Yes the car is much quicker

All directly from the car owner...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to gut your primary cats (Dyno results to come soon)