IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How to gut your primary cats (Dyno results to come soon)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 05:42 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
When someone drives down the street with the hood open and a fan blowing into the engine bay, I'll accept a dyno test as fair. Until then, trapspeed rules all.

You guys have no idea how hard the OEMs work to produce consistent dyno numbers. None. We don't have even half the necessary instrumentation to produce a fair, head to head dyno at any aftermarket shop. That's just part of why I think dynos are a poor comparison at best from car to car.
In that case I'm anxiously waiting for the gutted cat guys to trap in the 120's like toothdoc and I have done without N2O.

I personally believe a dyno comparison done at the same time on the same dyno conducted in the same manner is the best bet to end this debate. I went from running 12.2 to 11.9's with the addition of headers so I'm a firm believer in the header gains and just have a hard time imagining the stock manifold could flow just as well with gutted cats.

Subscribed!
Old 08-10-14, 07:03 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

lol at Lou. you are the most biased F owner on this forum. you can tell by all of your posts and threads.
Old 08-11-14, 04:45 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
In that case I'm anxiously waiting for the gutted cat guys to trap in the 120's like toothdoc and I have done without N2O.

I personally believe a dyno comparison done at the same time on the same dyno conducted in the same manner is the best bet to end this debate. I went from running 12.2 to 11.9's with the addition of headers so I'm a firm believer in the header gains and just have a hard time imagining the stock manifold could flow just as well with gutted cats.

Subscribed!
You know thats not going to happen unless someone heads to a track with your type of DA
Being stuck with 1000+DA all year is a killer lol
Old 08-11-14, 09:45 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
You know thats not going to happen unless someone heads to a track with your type of DA
Being stuck with 1000+DA all year is a killer lol
Absolutely! Figured I'd throw that out there because we have a large amount of F's in the NE and other parts of the country that get some amazing DA days.
Old 08-11-14, 11:05 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed!
Here it is. Guys with gutted OEM headers.. good luck.
Old 08-11-14, 04:56 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Absolutely! Figured I'd throw that out there because we have a large amount of F's in the NE and other parts of the country that get some amazing DA days.
Haha thats it. Im putting the car on a trailer and heading to MIR (1,020 Miles away)... records will be set. Probably run 8s on that track

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Here it is. Guys with gutted OEM headers.. good luck.
Lets see what you cali guys can do compared to the North East lol.
Old 09-11-14, 03:36 AM
dabs
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

has there been any update on this topic?
Old 09-24-14, 08:25 AM
MGordo
Driver

I gutted my cats last night while installing a Borla exhaust.. pretty straight forward especially with the exhaust off. As the OP mentioned, it gets dusty and dirty so have some kind of face mask.

I ended up using O2 spacers and so far its been fine with no CEL. Ive only driven 30km so we will see how it goes.

I used these spacers:

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/VIB-11620.html
And they come with different size inlet ports to adjust. I started with the smallest one and works great so far. Install was a little tricky with the O2 wires, but not bad
Old 09-24-14, 08:58 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

lots of facepalm in this thread
Old 09-24-14, 09:26 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MGordo
I gutted my cats last night while installing a Borla exhaust.. pretty straight forward especially with the exhaust off. As the OP mentioned, it gets dusty and dirty so have some kind of face mask.

I ended up using O2 spacers and so far its been fine with no CEL. Ive only driven 30km so we will see how it goes.

I used these spacers:

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/VIB-11620.html
And they come with different size inlet ports to adjust. I started with the smallest one and works great so far. Install was a little tricky with the O2 wires, but not bad
Sweet...let us know if a CEL comes up!!
Old 09-24-14, 09:52 AM
MGordo
Driver

Originally Posted by streetx
lots of facepalm in this thread
In what regard?

Coming from the Audi community gutting cats was always a decent option for those that either couldnt afford headers/downpipes or wanted cheap mod. Adding the spacers instead of the electronic conditioners was my choice in not wanting to splice into the ECU.
Old 09-24-14, 11:08 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In what regard?

Coming from the Audi community gutting cats was always a decent option for those that either couldnt afford headers/downpipes or wanted cheap mod. Adding the spacers instead of the electronic conditioners was my choice in not wanting to splice into the ECU.
Not about gutting the cats but the stupid bickering in the thread
Old 09-24-14, 12:10 PM
prada_g
Rookie

MGordo, butt dyno results so far?
Old 09-24-14, 12:22 PM
MGordo
Driver

I added a full Borla at the same time so its really tough to say....
Old 09-24-14, 04:50 PM
prada_g
Rookie

I added a full Borla at the same time so its really tough to say....
Def post up a sound clip if you can! I also have a Borla cat back with stock headers, I'd love to hear how different it sounds with the cats gutted.

Any plans to get it on a dyno?

Quick Reply: How to gut your primary cats (Dyno results to come soon)